Where do you get your gear?

I am curious where everyone does their outdoor shopping for backpacking gear here in Salt Lake? I do all of mine pretty much at REI or Recreatiom Outlet. What other stores are here in the valley that offer the same kind of products and what is your favorite places to shop? If you guys are anything like me, I could shop for new gear all day to take in the backcountry with me.

I hate to say it, but most of my stuff comes through the interwebs. Mostly Amazon nowadays. Locally, I do like the REI. Not a fan of Kirkhams. I've been into Rec Outlet a couple of times but it was always when I was searching for something odd.

I've got some things at Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels, and Out n Back in Orem.

Cabelas is another provider of the goods in the area.
Backcountry.com is around, Sierra Trading Post can have some good deals (with coupons makes them better), etc.
Lots of options in Utah.
Unfortunatly, I'm in a town the size of Logan and the closest thing to an outdoor gear store is Big 5. :-(

Hunting for gear is just as much fun as shopping for gear. I'll get on a kick and go on 'Tour de gear shops' and visit as many places as possible. Obviously the internet is humongous but how do you know it fits? Or how do you know how it feels on your frame? So the big places to check out are REI, Kirkhams, Rec outlet, liberty mountain, patagonia outlet, out n back, scheels, and cabela's. There are some ski shops (like Ski-n-See) that sometimes have discounted gear right before and after the ski season.
I agree with @Nick about Rec outlet they have the little knick-knack stuff, but occasionally they have some sweet deals. Kirkhams can be a little pricy but the do have good gear if that's what your looking for. We bought our Cook Partner stove from there. It's aluminum, compact, and powerful. Perfect for base camping and river trips.

Truly one of the best places to go for gear and to see what is on the horizon is the Outdoor Retailer Expo. It's twice a year at the Salt Palace. I love it there!

Anyways, I'm being a little long winded, but that is my 2 cents. I live perusing the aisles and checking everything out. It kinda gets me excited to go.

Salud!

[quread "uintahiker, post: 34923, member: 49"]Cabelas is another provider of the goods in the area.
Backcountry.com is around, Sierra Trading Post can have some good deals (with coupons makes them better), etc.
Lots of options in Utah.
Unfortunatly, I'm in a town the size of Logan and the closest thing to an outdoor gear store is Big 5. :-([/quote]
Isn't there the campsaver store nearby?

Edit I just realized I read the post wrong, and you don't live in Logan

Last edited:
Boots and clothes and air mattress thrift store (nice military inflatable) Kuhl hat from REI recently, tent came from Sportsmans WH (I was in a pinch) everything else like my favorite knife came from the interweb... amazon.com usually.

Last edited:
It's in Logan (Nibley actually).
Yeah I just realized I left the important part of I live in a town the size of Logan not lives in Logan.

backcountry.com gets most of my business these days. The free 2-day shipping, great invnetory, the ability to pick it up on-site if wanted, and awesome return policy are what keep me going back.

I've bought some stuff at rec outlet. The more I spend there, the bigger my discounts go. Rec oulet matches online prices, so I often bring in a coupon for a different store and use it at rec outlet.

99% Amazon. I completely outfitted myself and family last spring and it was almost entirely Amazon purchases. I found Amazon to be perfect for starting out - good selection on low to middle end gear, best prices and the ability to return things I didn't like. I have noticed that for more high end, niche & technical gear I've got to go other places.

Sierra Trading Post whenever possible, it's often possible to get things at least 30% off their already discounted prices. When searching their site I usually "sort by discount" to find the real steals. Like one time I got a dozen pairs of Smartwool "hunting" socks for about $6 per pair. The socks can't tell that I don't do very much hunting, as it turns out.

Checkout Geartrade.com Its where backcountry.com gets rid of their returned gear. I have picked up some very nice tech clothing from them for cheap and in great condition. Not to mention backcountry has great customer service, I got a SD Jive rain Jacket that was in excellent condition but came with a bad cocona liner. They refunded me quite a bit on it and then I just mailed it into SD and I should have a brand new jacket in a few weeks. Think im into it $60.

Checkout Geartrade.com Its where backcountry.com gets rid of their returned gear. I have picked up some very nice tech clothing from them for cheap and in great condition. Not to mention backcountry has great customer service, I got a SD Jive rain Jacket that was in excellent condition but came with a bad cocona liner. They refunded me quite a bit on it and then I just mailed it into SD and I should have a brand new jacket in a few weeks. Think im into it $60.

How is geartrade.com on their return policy? I've been looking at getting my wife a new backpack for her birthday this year, and they are selling the pack for the cheapest I have found anywhere. I'm just afraid if it doesn't fit her right, will I be able to return it?

If you buy it from the Seller backcountry then they will work with you but I think they would make it difficult to return over a bad fit. Why not have your wife try on the pack somewhere else and see if it fits?

You can always call backcountry and get the email they use for geartrade and ask if it would be a problem before you buy.

On the web I like moosejaw.com they pricematch and throw in points on their rewards program if they had to meet or beat a price. Usually have free shipping and pretty much carry anything that REI or Backcountry has. Great customer service and a sense of humor that makes gear shopping even more fun. You have to check em out to see what I mean about the sense of humor. I think the best thing about REI is that you can go into their store and usually find knowledgable staff that will help you try things on, open the box and play with the gear...then if it doesn't work out they still have a pretty good return policy.

backcountry.com will let you try stuff out as well, as long as you go to their warehouse. however, they don't have sales reps to guide you.

I was surprised at Moosejaw's sense of humor when i ordered something from them. It took me by surprise and made me laugh.

Last edited:
... some goodies in Germany and some in the US.
I prefer, Amazon.com, REI in Vegas and The Desert Rat in St. George.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk