What's your favorite backcountry lens?

Deadeye008

Hambone
My lens collection was built around my portrait photography business so some of the lenses that I love are just not practical to take into the backcountry. For example my Canon 70-200 2.8 IS is not only 8"x3" but it weighs 52 oz! Not something I want to pack around for days, but the images it takes are amazing! Just this last year I picked up a Tokina 10-17 fisheye that I have really loved using in the backcountry. It is really fishy at 10 and not very fishy at all at 17. I love the effects I can get with this lens. It is my favorite backcountry lens right now. What's everyone else using?

My favorite landscape lens that I'm currently using is the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 II

Jealousy....

If I'm only going to bring one lens, it is without a doubt, my Canon 10-22mm EF-S. If I had a fancy pants full-frame camera like the 5D, I'd go with the 17-40 f/4 L or the 16-35 f/2.8 L like Randy has.

If I think there's going to be a reasonable chance for wildlife or good long shots, I'll pack my Sigma 18-200 but I don't use it nearly as much as my wide. And for most desert trips, I wouldn't even consider bringing it. Narrow spaces + wide lens = awesome.

For my Nikon D7000 (crop frame) camera I usually carry the Sigma 10-20, Nikon 18-55 VR, and Nikon 55-300 VR. I also carry a Canon G12. When weight is a consideration I leave the 55-300 at home and if weight really is a factor, I just take the G12. I just got the Sunex 5.6 for shooting 360 panoramas but it's kind of heavy and I'm not sure how much I will use it.

I pack my tokina 11-16 f2.8 andsigma 10mm fisheye.

I hope to pick up the 24-70 f2.8 or 16-35mm f2.8 here soon. I also plan on selling off everything so I can upgrade to the 5d MkIII once it comes out.

I gots a sigma 10-20 for my Canon and I also use a 28-105. I think it's to 105mm Can't remember. It's an older lens left over from the 35mm days, but it's works really well. Better than the kit lens.

My favorite landscape lens that I'm currently using is the Canon 16-35mm 2.8 II

jealousy x2. I typically take my 17-40L and my 15mm fisheye. I'm relatively happy with both. I'd like to get Bills lens the super wide tokina and then the 17-55 lens in a perfect world I think that would fit me well.

jealousy x2. I typically take my 17-40L and my 15mm fisheye. I'm relatively happy with both. I'd like to get Bills lens the super wide tokina and then the 17-55 lens in a perfect world I think that would fit me well.

unfortunately I will be looking to sell my 11-16 here soon.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dan What's your favorite recipe for cooking backcountry fish? General Discussion 15
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
Ellen What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December? Trip Planning 10
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
Mikjik86 Favorite location with no cell phone service General Discussion 56
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Favorite Yellowstone Gallatin Mtn Area Campsite? Looking at WD5, WE7 and that area Trip Planning 5
J Three of my Favorite Things: Hiko Springs, NV. Narrows, peaks, petroglyph hike Hiking & Camping 0
Strawsome Favorite 2-3 day backpacking trip. Trip Planning 8
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
RussRDH Returning to my favorite past-time Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Nick Album Your favorite shots from 2015 Photography 126
DrNed Your Most Important or Favorite Wilderness Skill General Discussion 42
L Favorite food in the woods General Discussion 6
Nick Album Your favorite shots of 2014 Photography 49
Parma New Favorite Toy General Discussion 2
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
IntrepidXJ My Ten Favorite Photos of 2013 Photography 0
Nick Album Your favorite shots of 2013 Photography 47
Nick Favorite Trips of 2012 General Discussion 9
Seldom Seen Anderson Favorite Books General Discussion 21
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
Outdoors24 Backcountry Tire Question General Discussion 12
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
swmalone ***REDACTED*** Backcountry Byway with my Dad Off Road 7
Rockskipper Yellowstone Backcountry Permits Available Online In 2022 General Discussion 72
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
TrektheWorld Backcountry Post Logo - Found! Everything Else 1
Dave Backcountry bookshelf General Discussion 53
Jackson Backcountry Music General Discussion 28
Nick Invite Backcountry Fest 2020 - Cancelled Meet Up (Members Only) 57
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
DrNed Backcountry.com Sues Those Using Namesake General Discussion 2
IntrepidXJ Nick, get a cease and desist letter yet? (Backcountry.com Discussion) General Discussion 32
F Backcountry bathrooms General Discussion 12
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
Yvonne Backcountry Fest and some Swell explorations Hiking & Camping 8
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Nick 2019 Backcountry Fest Photos Everything Else 100
Nick Things to do in the Swell: Backcountry Fest Edition Meet Up (Members Only) 34
Dreamer Caribbean Backcountry Backpacking 2
McKee80 backcountry campsite reviews Resource Discussions 5