What vehicle should I buy?

Since no one else has recommended it....I'm going to have to say a Jeep JK Unlimited :) Always gets me where I want to go and back. Can drive fast on rough roads and cruise comfortably at 80+ MPH on the interstate. Never have to worry about how rough a road to the trailhead is.

I love my Jeep.
2004 Rubicon. It has never failed me.

Reactions: DAA
Repairs are hit and miss, not the brand or model. Just sometimes get a bad one or how you drive and take care of it.

My Xterra has 85k, Frontier 95K, with previous Nissans I usually sell at 100K (usually I have them about 10 yrs) just to get something new. Nothing done to any of them except oil, tires, filters, ball joint here and there. No major repairs in 30 yrs of Nissans.....

Most Toyotas have good record. Used to be American trucks/cars were bad but they are pretty good repair wise lately.

Actually the worst I had for major repairs was a 69 Jeep Cherokee.

I am all about trucks. The next truck I get will be a Tacoma with 4doors. Here is why:

I love to camp and getting out and having the extra room inside the cab has become essential for me and my needs. Currently I only have and ext cab Tacoma but my dad and other friends have 4 door trucks and I see immense use for 4 doors.

So to answer your question I vote 4 door truck of what ever manufacturer you prefer though Nissan and Toyota seem to have a greater base for aftermarket accessories.

Looks like I'm getting a Tacoma. Blue is my color choice. Thanks for the help folks.

Are you buying brand new? Post up a pic once you get it. Do you have any questions about the trims? A lot of people like the hood scoop and go for the TRD sport, but they give up the locking rear diff on the TRD off-road package.

Tacos are the best all around off-road/camping vehicle in my opinion. Jeeps and SUV's just don't have the combo of people and cargo space, IMO. I dig the hood scoop but I think the Off Road package is better for what you'll use it for. Not only do you get the locking differential but the bed is a little shorter which means shorter wheel base on that 4-door model. I also think the chrome trim on the OR looks better than the color keyed trip on the sport. But damn I wish I could have had the faux hood scoop...

No offense to ms Buffalo, she's one of my favorite people. After all the expensive repairs she has been through at such low mileage, I would be wary of an xterra.

depends of the model and year of your XTerra. I have an 2005 XTerra and unfortunately the 2005 models have tons of recalls, repairs and so on.
But I will always stay with an XTerra, my next car will be an XTerra again. Great little car

Double cab, off road TRD, V6, backup camera, short bed, brand new 2014 blue ribbon...

My best friend has that exact truck. Same color even. It's nice! My only beef with it - and the double cab off road TRD specifically, is that teeny tiny bed. It doesn't hold much more than my Subaru Brat used to. Just putting my ARB fridge back there takes up about a third of the cargo space. Getting 18-20MPG sure is nice though!

His 2006 Access cab (which he still owns too) has much more useable cargo space in my opinion. The four doors are sweet and the larger interior cargo volume is awesome, but when we load up for a multi-day hunting trip, the longer bed of the access cab just works better overall.

- DAA

depends of the model and year of your XTerra. I have an 2005 XTerra and unfortunately the 2005 models have tons of recalls, repairs and so on.
But I will always stay with an XTerra, my next car will be an XTerra again. Great little car

Awesome, that's good to hear. Glad you're liking it so much!

His 2006 Access cab (which he still owns too) has much more useable cargo space in my opinion. The four doors are sweet and the larger interior cargo volume is awesome, but when we load up for a multi-day hunting trip, the longer bed of the access cab just works better overall.

- DAA
Well now I'll come clean about what was totaled. My super white 2014 Tacoma Access Cab. Yes the bed was awesome! But after having to sit in the back seat for a 50 mile drive I thought, never again. Having such a new car be totaled is one of the crappiest experiences of my life.

My best friend has that exact truck. Same color even. It's nice! My only beef with it - and the double cab off road TRD specifically, is that teeny tiny bed. It doesn't hold much more than my Subaru Brat used to. Just putting my ARB fridge back there takes up about a third of the cargo space. Getting 18-20MPG sure is nice though!
- DAA
Any idea what he paid out the door?

I can't remember the actual number. But they basically told him to piss up a rope on any kind of a deal. He didn't pay full sticker, but not much under it either. He shopped around for a few months too, even ordered one but then got boned on a switcharoo. In the end, to get the truck he wanted, he had to pay. Ended up getting it from Stockton to Malone, they charged him a few hundred less than the others, but more importantly, were able to get him exactly the truck he wanted - that model in a '14 was hard to find last fall.

- DAA

Sorry about problems......but........I hear a lot of that for Toyotas. Pay the premium for the Toyota name or walk (Fords too). Just as good other brands or other dealerships to try.

Not all car dealers are scum (tho I don't like any of them) LHM did me a great deal when I bought my 012 Silverado 4x4. Went thru Costco, did the online line contact at LHM and told them what I wanted to pay out the door, taxed and licensed with all the discounts they had. Went to the dealership and got the price I wanted, no hassles. May be the exception, but I was happy.