What did you buy today?

I love how warm Pendleton wool blankets are so I bought this from the Glacier NP store for myself for the holidays. It's the perfect size for one person, matches the size of the seats on the Red Buses, and is even nicer than in the photo. Not a bit scratchy and even though it says dry clean, it can be washed in cold water. I put it over my down bag and stay super warm.

red_bus_blanket_resized__47417.1619725965.jpg

Some of my Christmas gifts from my wish list.

Zseat - my old one has seen years and years of abuse and has lost some of its cushion.
GSI Infinity Mug - to replace my 10+ year old mug that cracked. It was a close call between this one and a titanium mug.
Shimano Sienna 1000 Reel - needed a new reel for ice fishing.
Frogg Toggs - I was due for a replacement rain suit. This one looks heavier than I thought they used to be. I thought my old set was around 8 or 9 oz. This one says 12.8 oz on the package. I'll do some weighing later.

51784805402_6138ef3d03_o.jpg

I just bought a Canon R6 mirrorless camera with an R 100-500 lens.

Now I need to become a professional photographer to pay for them. (I think I'm doing this backwards.)

Great! I'm expecting to see some mighty fine shots from you now. You'll have to let me know what you think of your new purchase. I'm contemplating getting a nice camera when I retire.

Had to replace trekking poles -kept coming apart at inopportune times. Got BD Trail Back - heavy, expensive vs non-BD/Leki brands but solid and proven and 50% less than higher-end models.

Keep thinking about a good camera since the shots are spectacular, especially using a tripod and postprocessing for HDR. But my 7.5 oz Sony Cybershot (incl spare batteries, case and polarizer) and old smartphone do an ok job. Camera is only 6"x5"x 3/4". Smartphone doubles as navigation aid (Avenza+Caltopo maps).

Had to replace trekking poles -kept coming apart at inopportune times. Got BD Trail Back - heavy, expensive vs non-BD/Leki brands but solid and proven and 50% less than higher-end models.

Keep thinking about a good camera since the shots are spectacular, especially using a tripod and postprocessing for HDR. But my 7.5 oz Sony Cybershot (incl spare batteries, case and polarizer) and old smartphone do an ok job. Camera is only 6"x5"x 3/4". Smartphone doubles as navigation aid (Avenza+Caltopo maps).
I have those trekking poles and they're solid. Got two pairs in 2015 and one pair is still kicking with zero issues. The only issues I've had with them were completely user-induced: bent one slipping on an algae covered submerged rock, and the other had a strap chewed through by my dog.

As for the camera, just a thought, but upgrading your phone could be enough too depending on what you're going for. Google makes the "a" series of the Pixel and sells them for pretty cheap. I take all my photos with my Pixel 3a. It doesn't have quite the power and features of a dedicated camera, of course, but it takes great photos and it's pretty sweet to have a good camera in the same device you use for navigation. Generally a lot easier than carrying a camera around.

As for the camera, just a thought, but upgrading your phone could be enough too depending on what you're going for. Google makes the "a" series of the Pixel and sells them for pretty cheap. I take all my photos with my Pixel 3a. It doesn't have quite the power and features of a dedicated camera, of course, but it takes great photos and it's pretty sweet to have a good camera in the same device you use for navigation. Generally a lot easier than carrying a camera around.
I have a newer pixel in this series (5a) and the camera is good enough that I've (sort of shamefully) almost stopped using my actual camera. Like Scat I have dreams of owning another nice camera (Nikon D7500 looks awesome) but I'm afraid that I'd just not bring it along and if I did bring it along, not feel like dealing with it in comparison with phone.

I'm still shaky from spending that much money on a camera setup when I already have a nice one (Canon 6DII w/ 100-400 lens, excellent condition, maybe for sale) - or maybe it was from the endorphin rush.

The fraud unit of the bank actually called me, since I usually only spend enough to get a takeout sandwich once in awhile. Because of the adapter, I can use my old lenses. I justified it by saying I was going to start doing more serious photography, which means I'll be more serious while shooting because I'll be thinking about how I can no longer blame it on my equipment. I looked into the new iPhones (I have an SE) but the rez isn't good enough, nor the tele abilities for what I want to do (wildlife with the ability to crop).

I have a newer pixel in this series (5a) and the camera is good enough that I've (sort of shamefully) almost stopped using my actual camera. Like Scat I have dreams of owning another nice camera (Nikon D7500 looks awesome) but I'm afraid that I'd just not bring it along and if I did bring it along, not feel like dealing with it in comparison with phone.
Right on! Another Pixel person. It's really insane how good of a camera the a series has, and how long they last, especially considering that they're the budget line. I've seen the night shots off the 5a and it's pretty amazing. Almost picked one up when they were on sale but ended up getting a new sleeping bag instead since my 3a has no issues still.

@Rockskipper my brother got a Canon R6, he really likes it. He was in town for the holiday and we went on a trip together. I shot a few with it and I liked it. With that long lens I am excited to see what you get!

My wife uses a Lumix FZ80 point and shoot camera for most all her photos. It has a 60x zoom and image stabilizer. She really likes it. I just use my iPhone 12 when hiking or canoeing.

My wife uses a Lumix FZ80 point and shoot camera for most all her photos. It has a 60x zoom and image stabilizer. She really likes it. I just use my iPhone 12 when hiking or canoeing.
I use the Fz60, before that the Fz40 ...... like it, does fine by me. Had a Sony a100 when they came out ...but it and the zoom lense was Heavy

Good points about the phone. Have moto e5 supra (ancient, I know, but got it cheap). Does ok with decent light and sometimes better HDR than camera, considering I'd have to mount camera and do multiple exposures then post-process. Too much work. Some of the newer phones are amazing though not sure the zoom and lower light situations deliver good results. Mine did terrible in Carlsbad Caverns for instance. Also surprising how well even my old phone mimics a polarizing filter in high-reflection situations.

The wife said no more PLBs after my fall ordeal. She wants to be able to communicate with me during an emergency. :)
Possibly the best purchase I've ever made and I've never even hit the SOS. The peace of mind it gives my wife has made it so much easier - no item I've ever purchased has been responsible for more time spent outside.

I ordered up a couple of small items from REI and they arrived today. One is a hipbelt pocket, to be used with some of my daypacks that have a narrow waist belt and don't include the waist belt pocket. The second is the rainshield pocket for the shoulder strap of my backpack (or perhaps a daypack too) that I can use for one of my point and shoot cameras when in the backcounrty.

P1140005.JPG

Last edited:
I just bought a Canon R6 mirrorless camera with an R 100-500 lens.
Nice pickup!

I'm considering making the jump to mirrorless as well -- which may or may not be related to a recent trauma event with my current DSLR. :cry:
Ironically I was looking at the new mirrorless options a couple days before that happened. I'll be able to get my current camera fixed, but now I can't quite shake the idea of an upgrade. Looking forward to your thoughts / photos!

The second is the rainshield pocket for the shoulder strap of my backpack (or perhaps a daypack too) that I can use for one of my point and shoot cameras when in the backcounrty.
That looks like it would hold a flask nicely. :)

Not today, but last month.
I was fidgeting because I knew I'd forgotten to pack something for my December trip to UT, and trying to figure out what.
Then it dawned on me that my trekking poles, which live in the trunk of my car so that it's impossible to leave them behind, were still in the car.
Meanwhile, I'm sitting in the Birmingham airport, about to take off on an afternoon flight to Grand Junction, and planning a midnight arrival to camp at Squaw Flat in the Canyonlands Needles District.
That turned into staying in Moab to wait for a gear store to open the next morning.

Since half of my first pair is somewhere in an inaccessible hole in the middle tier of a waterfall(where I was fortunate not to join it!), I now have 3 generations of Black Diamond Trail...
20220116_160349.jpg