What did you buy today?

not sure where you're based but in SLC these can be rented and I recommend that approach
In Utah up near the Idaho border. I may have to see if there is anywhere in Boise to rent one since the trip I have been planning is up that direction.

Futurafree
Clearwater IS technical. Bowdie and FableValley/Gypsum ARE NOT. I did a FableValley/Bowdie Canyon loop many years ago defore packrafts were invented, with a $20 Walmart Inteck blue/yellow vinyl raft. The section of Catract between Gypsum and Bowdie has no rapids in normal flow. They made hiking up Bowdie look challenging, nothing I dont remember being very bad. Ruins in Fable Valley and the Kivas in Bowdie are among the best around. Pre digital camera as well, so no pics.

Also did a hike down the Nfork around the Sfork. nothing you cant get around by scrambling up.

Areas are well worth the trip....

Buddy watching the map so as not to miss Bowdie as a take out .........

photo.jpg

Last edited:
yeah one of my takeaways from a few packraft trips is their low weight is a bit deceptive. once you add in the paddle, pfd, throw bag, wetsuit, etc you're talking about a very noticeable amount of gear.
+ canyoneering gear if you're talking about that loop those guys did. At first I thought 8 days for that, but then you add up the weight you have to scramble with and it's not exactly fast going on that section of the CO River.

One of the benefits of the extreme drought is the reduced giant boat traffic on Lake Powell. I'd like to check out some of those canyons and uncovered formations near the lower Escalante River.

One of the benefits of the extreme drought is the reduced giant boat traffic on Lake Powell. I'd like to check out some of those canyons and uncovered formations near the lower Escalante River.
I've also thought about the Colorado River at the NV/AZ border, just below Hoover Dam going to Goldstrike Hot Springs and other springs and side canyons, then taking out at Willow Beach. I'm sure it's possible to walk back, but it could be an easy shuttle, too.

I've also thought about the Colorado River at the NV/AZ border, just below Hoover Dam going to Goldstrike Hot Springs and other springs and side canyons, then taking out at Willow Beach. I'm sure it's possible to walk back, but it could be an easy shuttle, too.
This is a great wintertime trip! There are so many great routes down into the Black Canyon of the Colorado from both the AZ and NV sides and endless side canyons and hot springs to explore. From experience, going downstream is preferable. If going upstream, the current can be very strong and difficult to paddle a packraft against when they are releasing water from the dam (less likely these days though...).

I finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Western Mountaineering 20 degree sleeping bag. It's so much lighter than my old 15-degree sleeping bag. I can't wait to use it on my first winter camping trip on the West Rim next week
Nice. it's always crazy to see the difference when you upgrade after several years.

I finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Western Mountaineering 20 degree sleeping bag. It's so much lighter than my old 15-degree sleeping bag. I can't wait to use it on my first winter camping trip on the West Rim next week
They are very warm.... At least for me.

The Foot doctor advised me no more Altras for me due to my Achilles injury( even tho I’d worn altas for 3 yrs and many miles) But still look for th cushioned support.
So it was off to try n find some shoes that could fit my bunions…
Finally settled on some Hoya challenger ATR’s. Wearin th shoes and boot these last 10 or so days has made a vast difference on th Achilles’ tendon. No more burning or sharp pain..I’m chomping at th but to go hike, but I’ve got to wait another 6 weeks or so..doctor’s orders! Lookin to do a short backpack then…
So…without further adieu..th shoes!4CE979F7-C08F-40DE-ADB1-920E61E2AA5E.jpeg

The Foot doctor advised me no more Altras for me due to my Achilles injury( even tho I’d worn altas for 3 yrs and many miles) But still look for th cushioned support.
Finally settled on some Hoya challenger ATR’s. Wearin th shoes and boot these last 10 or so days has made a vast difference on th Achilles’ tendon. No more burning or sharp pain..I’m chomping at th but to go hike, but I’ve got to wait another 6 weeks or so..doctor’s orders! Lookin to do a short backpack then…
So…without further adieu..th shoes!View attachment 105725
Could toughen up and hike barefoot .........

Just ordered one of these online from Lee Valley Tools. I've been doing volunteer trail maintenance for many years, often removing blowdown with a smaller packable Silky folding saw. An extreme wind event in the foothills west of Calgary brought down literally thousands of trees across the trails 3 weeks ago. On the 9.5 km loop that I and others from our local MTB association worked on last week, there were about 180 trees down, ranging from 10-40 cm in diameter. I broke my smaller folding saw by biting off more than it could chew after my chainsaw started acting up, so I'm sizing up with this bad boy:Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.25.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.26.33 AM.png

So…without further adieu..th shoes!View attachment 105725
Now you've got me worried! I got my first pair of Altras this Christmas and took them out for a quick 3 mile run yesterday. Haha.

The Hokas look awesome!

Used to only hike in Chaco sandals..in Glacier N P snowfields it was fun!
I hiked Deer creek thru Kanab crk one year in sandals ...... new boots were to small and killed my feet going down to Deer crk. Another year hiked from Lava point into Kolob up the narrows and out Crystal crk in zion in sandals..... left the boots at the other end of the car shuttle.