What did you buy today?

We had plans to use it on a trip in late April but it has been cancelled. I’m hoping the late August trip to Yellowstone will happen as scheduled.

That tent is pretty luxurious as tents go. I was able to put a lawn chair under the vestibule with no problem.

My Katabatic Palisade gained a new sibling today.
Flex 40 w/900 fill Hyperdry:

Looks cozy! I definitely should have sized down with my Katabatic. I swim in it and I don't think it keeps me as warm as it could...
Like the color too!

Looks cozy! I definitely should have sized down with my Katabatic. I swim in it and I don't think it keeps me as warm as it could...
Like the color too!
Probably a dumb question, but have you attached it to the pad? Their 52", even 58", wide quilts can be super snug with the sides drawn together. I'm not a big guy, but extra width has always been a huge plus to me.
With this regular Flex 40, I've already found attaching it is necessary to avoid drafts, while just tucking the sides around me is usually enough with the 6' Wide Palisade, even way below its 30F rating(I sleep outrageously warm).

I'd have gotten the wide version of the Flex 40, even better a 6' Wide Chisos, but Katabatic is phasing out their 40F quilts as they use up the materials, so those options are no longer available:confused:

btw, it IS cozy! So silky, it's like being wrapped in a warm little cloud. I love the way the material feels.

Probably a dumb question, but have you attached it to the pad? Their 52", even 58", wide quilts can be super snug with the sides drawn together. I'm not a big guy, but extra width has always been a huge plus to me.
With this regular Flex 40, I've already found attaching it is necessary to avoid drafts, while just tucking the sides around me is usually enough with the 6' Wide Palisade, even way below its 30F rating(I sleep outrageously warm).

I'd have gotten the wide version of the Flex 40, even better a 6' Wide Chisos, but Katabatic is phasing out their 40F quilts as they use up the materials, so those options are no longer available:confused:

btw, it IS cozy! So silky, it's like being wrapped in a warm little cloud. I love the way the material feels.

Haha yeah, I attach to the pad. I can wrap it all the way in so the strap hooks are touching and I still have some space. I can basically turn it into a sleeping bag lol The width isn't so bad though, I should have went shorter. I always end up with my feet around the knee area and not staying in the extra plush footbox.
Even with my 5 degree, I get cold, but it is the only sleeping bag I have ever had that keeps me mostly warm :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh, we really are on the opposite end of things! I'd have no idea what to do with anything warmer than the Palisade, but really like the color on your Grenadier.
Seems unfair that cold sleepers, women in particular, are often smaller, yet need more insulation over and under them, so end up having to carry heavier and bulkier gear. C'est la vie...

Seems unfair that cold sleepers, women in particular, are often smaller, yet need more insulation over and under them, so end up having to carry heavier and bulkier gear. C'est la vie...

Haha so true, I have weight penalties all over the place: warmer sleeping pad, more clothing, can't go anywhere without the HotHands packets. My next purchase is down pants! It is worth it though.

I've been trying out a Montane Minimus Stretch rain jacket.
It may be called "Minimus", but it's a couple ounces heavier than true ultralight alternatives, and is a fully featured shell.
Velcro tabs at the wrist, hipbelt compatible pockets, and a fantastic hood. The only thing missing is pitzips, but I knew that going in. This is for cool weather out West; using it here in the Southeast is strictly for testing purposes.
I've only been able to use it twice, so it's way too early for a review or anything, but initial impressions are very favorable.
I did get to wear it all day over a lightweight baselayer with highs in the 40s. Constant rain, sprinkles to a couple of quick, torrential showers. Didn't feel a thing, stayed completely dry(had on rain pants, even MLD eVent rain mitts for the worst of it), all that good stuff. Did a bit of off-trail scrambling, and never felt inhibited by the trim fit, though I'm big through the chest, plus need to drop ~20lbs, so am hardly what you'd call "trim".
I really like the stretch material, and the inside feels good on the skin.
First Montane product I've ever seen, much less worn, and I'm very impressed with the quality and features. The zipper is left-handed, which is no big deal, but takes some getting used to.

Stock photo:
received_487773685441929.jpeg

FB_IMG_1586500172021.jpg

You can really cover up in this thing.
Just playing here, but it was very nice in heavy rain when the wind was blowing.
20200331_162711.jpg

I'm so happy with that jacket^^^(which also performed beautifully in heavy rain over a Capilene 1 shirt in the 50s last week) that I just got a pair of Montane Minimus rain pants. My heavy, bulky, full-zip, non-breathable OR Ramparts are going strong after >15yrs, but I wanted something lighter and more compact for "just in case" use that was between the ORs and my little rain kilt thingie.
The Minimus pants are a slim cut, and the elasticized waist looks so tiny that I wondered if I'd even be able to get them on. I wear 32" pants, and the size Large ones barely fit. There is also a locking drawcord, should the elastic develop too much give.
Very similar to the OR Helium pants, but, in addition to an ankle zip, they have a pair of velcro tabs on each lower leg to take up any slack, so that they don't bag out and hang on stuff. I was dubious about how useful this feature would be, but immediately appreciated how noticeable a difference it made, even on an already trim-fitting pant.
The real selling point for me was that Montane offers different inseam lengths. A friend of mine has the OR Helium pants in both Medium and Large. The Large fit me, except for being quite long, as I have a 30" inseam. The Minimus comes in a Short length that is about perfect.
They're technically made for runners, and also have elastic at the ankle, so waterproof gaiters are a must if using waterproof shoes, and wanting to keep water from running into them from the top.
I continue to be impressed by how well thought out these Montane products are.

They don't currently show the short version as available, probably because they only keep 1ea of items/sizes that don't move well in stock.

btw, my size Large/Short pants weigh exactly 150g(5.3oz) in their included stuff sack.

Last edited:
This Sunny Fitnesses spinning cycle was delivered this week. We had been looking at the Keiser M3of a similar design but for far more bucks. The Keiser M3 gets top reviews and this Sunny got good ones too. The Keiser was quickly out of stock because of current global upset but girlfriend found the Sunny and we jumped on it for $630. It is silent and smooth, very adjustable and sturdy.

We have had our weight bench for over a year since our move too far away from a reasonable priced gym. Nobody is going to gyms now anyway. So this concludes our home gym. We live half a mile from National Forest with mountains and numerous canyons so these are good for cross training.

2DBC3DA5-B8E7-4E00-ABC9-C06E11FD22D7.jpeg

This Sunny Fitnesses spinning cycle was delivered this week. We had been looking at the Keiser M3of a similar design but for far more bucks. The Keiser M3 gets top reviews and this Sunny got good ones too. The Keiser was quickly out of stock because of current global upset but girlfriend found the Sunny and we jumped on it for $630. It is silent and smooth, very adjustable and sturdy.

We have had our weight bench for over a year since our move too far away from a reasonable priced gym. Nobody is going to gyms now anyway. So this concludes our home gym. We live half a mile from National Forest with mountains and numerous canyons so these are good for cross training.
Nice! I've been trying to buy kettlebells for my home gym since the gyms closed here and can't find anything anywhere. It seems everyone decided to complete their home gyms in the past month. I'm guessing that means I'll be able to get some equipment real cheap in the next 6 months. LOL

Nice! I've been trying to buy kettlebells for my home gym since the gyms closed here and can't find anything anywhere. It seems everyone decided to complete their home gyms in the past month. I'm guessing that means I'll be able to get some equipment real cheap in the next 6 months. LOL

You have that right. Anything gym wise is getting wiped off the shelves. We were going to get a chin up bar with a couple of other stations. I basically want something just to hang off of, a back therapy sort of thing. I waited a bit and those are all sold out everywhere now.

Like you say, in a few months you will find this stuff all over eBay.

We will use the cycle though just like we use the incline weight bench twice a week between hikes in the canyons. I just love that endorphin buzz.

Good luck on your kettlebells. If you find them grab them right there.

My hands get chilly sometimes hiking up in the mountains. Been carrying windblock or regular fleece gloves for ever and my fingers often still get colder than is ideal. Thought I’d like to try some ultra light mittens. Not easy to find, they must not be much wanted. Finally somebody made some. These are made out of soft shell material and weigh 1.8 oz for the pair. Overall pretty nice, they should work. I don’t like the slits for sticking out fingers. Seems like air could leak out. I may just stitch them closed. Also the cuff could be about a half inch shorter and the mitten a half inch longer. Plus, I hate the branding, but that’s a lost cause. I’ve tried them out on a couple of cool mornings (35-40) and as long as I’m not holding onto something, they were good. There is just enough room that I might try adding a thin fleece layer inside to the back of the hand. Really looking forward to using them this season.
A8E59266-3600-4D63-8FD7-4316E8194BEC.jpeg

Ok, I did not buy the socks, but I love them. There were a birthday gift. Light cotton, they are useless for hiking, but I whole heartedly embrace the sentiment. I edited in the red x so as not to offend.
206C283B-6C76-4FFD-AB78-0A4825F386D1.jpeg