What are your favorite spots to hike and camp in December?

Ellen

Hello all! I have some time off December 15-24. What are y’all’s favorite areas for hiking and/or back country camping in the winter? Looking into Zion but open to anything!

Zion's a great choice for winter. Last winter during a particularly cold snap I spent time time in the Muddy Mountains in Nevada, they were lovely and quite a bit warmer than anywhere in Utah.

but realistically, basically anywhere in S Utah is great for winter hiking as long as it's sunny and there's not too much snow on the ground, which is usually the case. snowy backroads can be a problem so I usually try to have a plan involving hiking from pavement if there's much snow. but I don't do much camping in winter, the nights are just too cold and long.

Zion's a great choice for winter. Last winter during a particularly cold snap I spent time time in the Muddy Mountains in Nevada, they were lovely and quite a bit warmer than anywhere in Utah.
Seconded. Anywhere in the low country surrounding Vegas is great. Did a very enjoyable off-trail backpack near Lake Mead in the dregs of winter last year; it was plenty warm.

Have done some stuff around Escalante in December......Had a near death experience on the very first trip where we went down one of the dirt roads and it quickly turned into the most scary horrific mud imaginable. Our vehicle slid down a steep downhill part of the road and by some miracle we did not go over the edge to our deaths. We spent the whole day at the bottom of that steep hill wondering how we would get out. 6+ inch deep mud and no other humans for a long way. We had camping gear, water and food and 3/4 tank of gas and having driven down from Vancouver, Canada we had a set of chains. Being around Xmas the mud ended up freezing solid and I managed to get the chains on near midnight (After being there since 2PM) and we drove out with those ever so wonderful chains wrapped around our wheels.

Lesson learned and now we do not go down those dirt roads in Utah if it is wet, threatens to rain or if there is snow on the road (as it often warms up during the day and that melted snow turns those roads to nightmare mud).........

Be careful and have fun.

Canyonlands Needles District. Temps can be in the teens at night, but it's quite pleasant in the daytime.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
Mikjik86 Favorite location with no cell phone service General Discussion 56
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Favorite Yellowstone Gallatin Mtn Area Campsite? Looking at WD5, WE7 and that area Trip Planning 5
J Three of my Favorite Things: Hiko Springs, NV. Narrows, peaks, petroglyph hike Hiking & Camping 0
Strawsome Favorite 2-3 day backpacking trip. Trip Planning 8
Parma Favorite Maze Campsites General Discussion 1
D Greetings from Missouri! What are your favorite Hikes in the Sawtooths? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Strawsome What is your favorite hike in the Escalante/Hole in the rock road area? General Discussion 6
RussRDH Returning to my favorite past-time Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Nick Album Your favorite shots from 2015 Photography 126
DrNed Your Most Important or Favorite Wilderness Skill General Discussion 42
L Favorite food in the woods General Discussion 6
Nick Album Your favorite shots of 2014 Photography 49
Parma New Favorite Toy General Discussion 2
DrNed Favorite Places To Explore While Floating Labyrinth Trip Planning 38
IntrepidXJ My Ten Favorite Photos of 2013 Photography 0
Nick Album Your favorite shots of 2013 Photography 47
Nick Favorite Trips of 2012 General Discussion 9
Dan What's your favorite recipe for cooking backcountry fish? General Discussion 15
Seldom Seen Anderson Favorite Books General Discussion 21
Deadeye008 What's your favorite backcountry lens? Photography 16
C Arches area walking in the tourist spots Everything Else 2
S Hiking spots in between Ruby Ranch and Mineral Botom Trip Planning 3
Ross Hiking/easy canyoneering partner for Bull Valley Gorge,Sand Wash (Red Cave) & other spots Trip Planning 0
Nick Primitive spots north/west of Bryce Trip Planning 17
weston Uinta car camping- few spots picked out, help needed! Trip Planning 0
Bob Palin Northern Idaho day hikes and camping spots? Trip Planning 0
climbhigh1119 1-2 spots open for Wind River Range August 16-24 Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Nurrgle Car Camping Spots along Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Fall hike to Chase Lake, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
O YNP Union Falls easy hike Aug 4-8 2023? Meet Up (Members Only) 9
kwc Another Adirondack Hike Hiking & Camping 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
T America's Wildest Through-hike General Discussion 0
kwc Short Snowshoe Hike today, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 2
kwc Another Southern Adirondacks hike - Clockmill Pond and Rock Lake Hiking & Camping 0
F The El Camino Real, A failed hike. Backpacking 16
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
Jackson Quick day hike in the Montana Absarokas Hiking & Camping 13
kwc Adirondack Hike to Middle Lake Hiking & Camping 0
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0