West Rim Trail, Zion National Park

Nick

-
New Trail Guide up for The West Rim Trail in Zion National Park. In-depth questions & comments can be posted in this thread.

View West Rim Trail Guide

[bimg=fleft|300|The Zion West Rim]http://backcountrypost.com/forum/data/attachments/7/7828-e777826d9bcd6d68456451a55a77b873.jpg[/bimg]
Do you like big views? Then the West Rim Trail of Zion National park is for you. The route starts high on the west side of the park near Lava Point at just over 7,440' and traverses across high ridges and plateaus as it makes it's way into the heart of Zion Canyon, descending over 3,000 vertical feet as the trail descends to the valley floor just below Angel's Landing.

Read more...

This is ridiculously helpful. A few questions. Where does the shuttle to lava point pick you up? I'm assuming at the Grotto since that's where you'll end; correct? You said Springdale so I'm just a little confused. If I took the shuttle from Springdale and ended at the Grotto; how do you get back to Springdale? And just for clarification on the permit process, I can't apply for them until 3 months before my trip? So do you suggest waiting until the day exactly 3 months before my trip to do anything permit wise? Also, does that 17 miles include the extra mile out and back to Angels landing?

The shuttles leave from the outfitters location in Springdale. So to get back to your car, you'd ride the park shuttle from The Grotto to the visitor center, then hop on the Springdale shuttle back into town to where your car is. They're all free shuttles. I've used Zion Adventure Company (ZAC) for shuttles in the past. They're pretty close to the entrance to the park, right on the main road in Springdale.

17 miles does not include the hike out to Angel's. Speaking of which, that is a bit of a trick logistically due to the people around. I'd be a little uncomfortable leaving my big pack at Scout Lookout, but I imagine it happens. Just don't leave anything to valuable easily accessible. You might be able to find a stash spot in some bushes or something. Or if you're packing really light, you could wear it out there (be careful!).

Last I checked, they open up the permit calendar for reservations on the 5th of the month 3 months ahead. So you should get all over that as soon as your target month becomes available. Double check that though, I know they've made some changes to the permit system in the last year.

Thanks Nick. Got it on how the shuttle to the grotto TH works now. Just picked up two new books and the Nat Geo maps for Zion and Bryce today so I should at least read them before jumping the gun and asking away.

Thanks nick. We are planning the zion traverse this year and that will be very helpful.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
Ben West Coast Trail, Pacific Rim NP, Vancouver Island Backpacking 20
TIMP Zion West Rim Trail Trip Planning 12
Jim Zion NP West Rim Trail Report Hiking & Camping 1
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
Scott Chandler Snow Canyon West Rim Hiking & Camping 4
Jimmy Zion West Rim Day Hike Trip Planning 11
I Zion Trip Planning: Misery Canyon --> The Barracks --> West Rim Trip Planning 5
powderglut Zion-West Rim Campsite Trip Planning 4
Cody Zion West Rim Backpacking 6
Seldom Seen Anderson West Rim, Zion National Park Hiking & Camping 14
blueeyes West Rim May 18-19th 2012 Backpacking 3
Bill West Rim 5.2012 Backpacking 6
Nick The West Rim of Zion National Park Backpacking 13
pixie1339 Invite Zion West Rim Backpack May 12th - 13th Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Tyler Zion West Rim backpacking September 2009 (Lava Point to the main canyon) Backpacking 7
Nick Zion West Rim Backpacking Trip Planning 42
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
DuneElliot Backpacking Scotland's West Highland Way Trip Reports 5
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
tomcat32 Backpacking the West Elk Wilderness Backpacking 9
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2
Ross West Canyon quicksand (a/one want to go lower West/Face/Labyrinth August? Trip Planning 3
blueeyes West Desert Bikepacking Everything Else 13
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
Tim Valentine Catalina Island West Side Everything Else 1
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3