West Canyon quicksand (a/one want to go lower West/Face/Labyrinth August?

Ross

Hi, anyone have knowledge of hiking West Canyon in LATE AUGUST up to the first Narrows and perhaps 30 minutes further specifically over quicksand difficulty as I've heard very differing reports?

And if anyone wants to hike this and up a shortish east fork that dead ends plus FACE & LABYRINTH & FAT MAN's SQUEEZE nearby, which probably need a good boater/kayaks on board/swimming at the ends of the narrowing channels, please contact me. (we may do the Reflection Canyon viewpoint if any of above is weathered off)
A photographer put this out elsewhere & we got about 8 maybes (2 definite) so when it gets to committals soon I'm not sure how many there would be. We'd be splitting a rental boat (except for any pilot willing to stay on the boat if hikers did Reflection - he/she would probably go free).
(Even better if anyone has a boat, I'm sure the group would pay all the boat provider's costs getting it to the lake, gas, food plus probably a generous tip for a better-than-free trip)

I hiked West all through in Spring & it's marvellous, but had camera disaster issues so as something else on my vacation has fallen through I wouldn't mind returning maybe with my daughter to those very nice Narrows that are only about an hour from the lake & maybe a bit further in a half/three-quarter day hike. The dates would be 2 or 3 days between Aug 21 & 24. If interested best to email me on rosskaniuk at hotmail.com so the same discussion can be shared by those interested. the at being an @ in the email.

The quicksand doesn't care if it's late August, spring, or fall. Were the quicksand reports about the transition zone where the lake ends or further up? The conditions at the transition zone are largely dictated by whether the lake is rising or falling and the recent floods that have dropped their silt loads in that zone in the preceding weeks.

The quicksand doesn't care if it's late August, spring, or fall. Were the quicksand reports about the transition zone where the lake ends or further up? The conditions at the transition zone are largely dictated by whether the lake is rising or falling and the recent floods that have dropped their silt loads in that zone in the preceding weeks.

Probably the transition zone, although if that wasn’t too far to negotiate before drier land it may not be insurmountable so perhaps they meant beyond.

I’m presuming if the lake is rising it’s ok as you boat over what was quicksand and silt from storms (unless water gets underground and dilutes past the last boating water?). If it’s falling then presume you mean storm silt and storm rainwater or some receding lake water can make bad quicksand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's about right. Most of the time you can plan on it being pretty rough in the transition zone. Mid-spring to early summer is usually the only time you get to boat right over the nasty. Late summer into fall is usually pretty bad. When we did it we avoided most of it by walking on ledges above it. Sometimes you just have to wallow in it and do your best. It's rarely so bad that you're actually going to get truly stuck, but it can certainly happen. I've been close. And there was this... https://www.outsideonline.com/1916551/surviving-12-hours-quicksand

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
westy Cave Canyon, Grand Canyon west Hiking & Camping 5
Ross West Canyon hiking Backpacking 2
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
Ross Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork? Trip Planning 5
fiber Hanksville Shuttle Needed: April 18 from Burr Point to West Rock Canyon Trip Planning 0
Scott Chandler Snow Canyon West Rim Hiking & Camping 4
Nick West Canyon On The Water 10
I Zion Trip Planning: Misery Canyon --> The Barracks --> West Rim Trip Planning 5
Tyler Zion West Rim backpacking September 2009 (Lava Point to the main canyon) Backpacking 7
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Ellen Zion West Rim Trail, December 2022 Trip Planning 3
scatman West Millcreek Ridge - July 10, 2022 Hiking & Camping 22
Rockskipper Outlook poor for fires in the West General Discussion 8
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
Bushwacker West Clear Creek Ruin Trip Planning 9
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
McKee80 Roaring Plains West Wilderness Backpacking 8
Blair Ballard West Temple 3.7.20 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Bikepacking West Desert Trip Planning 16
Yvonne Snow Hike up the West Rim, December 15, 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
P West fork of Salt Creek? Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
chandlerwest Zion - West Rim Loop...........in July???? Hiking & Camping 7
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
DuneElliot Backpacking Scotland's West Highland Way Trip Reports 5
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Chuck the Mauler Trip ideas near or west of Vegas Trip Planning 8
M Zion West Rim Trail, Early April 2019 Trip Planning 40
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
tomcat32 Backpacking the West Elk Wilderness Backpacking 9
blueeyes West Desert Bikepacking Everything Else 13
David Rule Greetings from the Mid-West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 22
Tim Valentine Catalina Island West Side Everything Else 1
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
Outdoors24 Zion West Rim Trail in winter Trip Planning 6
powderglut A Day at the West Clark Bench Hiking & Camping 11
JoshuaDyal Beckwith Pass in the West Elks Backpacking 0
Perry West Utah Desert Hiking Opportunities? Trip Planning 7
TrektheWorld Rawah Wilderness Camp Lakes to West Branch Loop Backpacking 3
W Virginia and points West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Perry West Fork Blacks Fork River Crossing 2017 Trip Planning 9
westy High Uintas - West Basin Backpacking 0
WasatchWill UHT - Day 5: West Fork Black Fork to Olga Lake Backpacking 2
WasatchWill UHT - Day 1: West Fork Whiterocks to Fox Lake Backpacking 8
Perry Uinta Highline Trail - East to West Backpacking 21