Wellsvilles via Stewart Pass

HomerJ

7-05-2008

A buddy and I decided to hike the Wellsvilles over the July 4th weekend. We chose to hike the Stewart Pass/Cold Water trail. This would be my first time hiking this trail. The trail is about 3 miles and climbs 2500'.

I met my friend at his house in Hyrum around 6am where we jumped in his truck and headed off. The road tot he trail head is quite rough and it seemed to take forever... We finally made it to the trail head and started hiking.

The trail climbs gradually for the first .75 mile to Cold Water lake. It's more of a puddle than a lake.
IMG_4424 - Stewart Pass.JPG

Max loves water and as soon as he saw the lake he ran and jumped in!
IMG_4437 - Stewart Pass.JPG

About .25 mile after the lake (1 mile from TH) the trail start to really climb!

We soon ran into wild flowers. They were everywhere!
IMG_4455 - Stewart Pass.JPG

4457 - Stewart Pass.JPG

IMG_4463 - Stewart Pass.JPG

A lot of the trail goes through thick tall brush. We spooked up some deer and as they ran off I was jealous at how easy they traversed the mountain side... Damn deer.

About mid way up the trail enters a more forested area with pines. We stopped here and took a break and ate some snacks.

We started to get some views of the ridge line and the wild flowers were great.
4495 - Stewart Pass.JPG

4498 - Stewart Pass.JPG

We made it to the top! (that's Max's water bowl dangling off of my friends pack).
IMG_4504 - Stewart Pass.JPG

We rested and took in the views and ate our lunch on the ridge. After a few minutes we headed south along the ridge towards the Wellsville Cone. There were wild flowers all over!

4510 - Stewart Pass.JPG

4521 - Stewart Pass.JPG

We hiked along the ridge towards the Wellsville Cone. We had gone about 1 mile and decided we didn't have the time (or water) to hit the Cone and be back down in time for things we had planned later that day. So we turner around and headed back to Stewart Pass.

The low spot along the ridge with the snow is Stewart Pass. The highest peak in the photo is Mendon Peak.
4532 - Stewart Pass.JPG

On the way down we could tell Max's paws where hurting him from all the hiking. He would keep laying down on the trail to rest his paws. We took it easy heading down and eventually made it to the truck.

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

Nice man. Beautiful flowers. I realized I lied too. I said I hiked up the other trail you posted but in reality this is the one I hiked up. I didn't realize there were two that came out of Mendon.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Tweedie Weminuche off-Trail from Elk Park to Needleton 2023 (Via Vestal, Balsam, Noname and Ruby) Backpacking 15
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
priz1234 Alta Via 1 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Parma Has Anyone Here Done Alta Via 1? Trip Planning 25
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
SirDonB Echo Lake via the Overlook Mt Trail Hiking & Camping 0
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
scatman Mount Raymond via Bowman Fork - June 27, 2020 Hiking & Camping 6
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
F Coyote Gulch via Dry Fork? Trip Planning 2
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
bdunn02 Stough Creek Basin via Twin Lakes Backpacking 7
P Teton Crest Trail via Coal Creek/Moose Meadow trails Trip Planning 2
tropicalwanderer YNP : 8/31-9/7 : Heart Lake to Nine Mile via CDT, South Boundary and Thorofare Trip Planning 9
ADubs Looking for info from anyone who has done the Egypt loop and exited via 25mile wash (Escalante). Trip Planning 3
J Brooks Lake area to Younts Peak via the Continental Divide Trip Planning 24
Artemus Via Ferrata - Piz da Cir V, in the Dolomites of Northern Italy Hiking & Camping 12
NorthwestWanderer Tomyhoi via Yellow Aster Butte, WA Backpacking 5
Titans Wasson Peak via Hugh Norris trail - Tucson Mountains - SAGUARO NP (WEST) Hiking & Camping 0
ram Mt. Shuksan via the Sulfide Glacier Backpacking 11
SKLund Cat Mesa via Alternate Pfeiffer Route Hiking & Camping 2
NorthwestWanderer Delancy Ridge via Driveway Butte, Okanogan NF, WA (5/20) Hiking & Camping 3
Dustin Gent Red Breaks via Spencer Creek Road General Discussion 1
cmgz Kanab Creek via Kwagunt Hollow and Jumpup Backpacking 4
AbinadiWitness Part 1: Telluride Via Ferrata and Mount Sneffels SW Ridge from Blue Lakes- Colorado Trip # 1 - 2017 Backpacking 0
SteveR Happy Canyon via Black Jump? Trip Planning 29
WasatchWill Delano Peak via Bullion Canyon Backpacking 6
Stephanie Quick trip to Coyote Gulch via Red Well Trip Planning 4
M VIDEO - Mt. Evans (14,264') Summit via Guanella Pass Hiking & Camping 3
Dave Lamotte Peak via unnamed lake Trip Planning 0
WasatchWill Provo Peak (via Slate & Slide Canyon) Backpacking 12
D Blue Springs trailhead, little colorado river, via FS6140 Trip Planning 0
JohnP Twin Peaks via Broads Fork Hiking & Camping 15
Kullaberg63 circling horseshoe/millard via bike and packraft Everything Else 9
Cody Cross Canyon and Y Canyon via The Grabens Backpacking 11
Ugly Parunuweap Via Poverty Road 2013 Backpacking 5
Udink Saucer Basin and Bull Hollow via Mountain Bike Everything Else 7