Well, the bugs weren't bad

Pringles

Member
.
Joined
Nov 23, 2015
Messages
515
I had made plans to hike up the Lamar River, a little ways, just to see what it looked like. Last year, I had gotten to the edge of the Thorofare, and saw a NEW VIEW in Yellowstone. I thought that maybe, around the corner from where everybody drives, there might be another new view, so when the time to sign up for trips came along, I got a couple of nights a little ways up the Lamar River Trail. Not far, mind you, but maybe enough to see something new. When the time came closer, I found that Scatman and TractorDoc were in the area the day ahead of me, and that Kevin (I can never remember his online name, but it's K-something-R) wanted to come, too. So on the appointed day, when it was cold-ish and rainy-ish and very, very windy, Kevin and I began our hike, crossing the footbridge, and walking along the trail.

After a mile, we turned up a little valley, and there, not too far off the trail, were a number of bison. I had picked mid-September for the hike because I hoped the bison would be out of rut, and calm again. These were pretty sedate, and we cautiously walked by them.

46437.jpg
We noticed many of these bugs along the trail. They appeared to be robust crickets.

46438.jpg
Look! No cars!

46442.jpg

The campsite is almost straight ahead, down the hill. The valley to the left is the Cache Creek valley. I'd had reservations to go up that valley about 8 weeks before, but it was projected to be 90-95*, so that trip got swapped for another trip. It was still hot, but not as hot. Maybe it was. There were a couple of hikes this year that baked my brain.

46443.jpg

Walking through a grassless area, I looked down and saw a garter snake. He was moving slow. It's time for him to find a winter home.

46446.jpg

The first site was just over the lip of this hill. The view shows where we went in the next few days.

46448.jpg

Kevin led down the switchback.

46449.jpg

I had spent a night at this site a few years ago, and remember this descent as a muddy, manure-covered, rooty mess. I don't remember switchbacks, but if there were, there were also a few spots where you just had to fend for yourself. This was much nicer, though, some of the descent was still like riding ball bearings down.

46451.jpg46452.jpg

We walked a small bench above Cache Creek, through sagebrush, to the campsite. It had been decorated with a variety of rocks, and petrified wood.

46453.jpg

There was also, um, this. It looked a little like a Gaboon Viper, if you just glanced quickly at it. It wasn't. TractorDoc looked at it and said something about pelvis. It was kind of creepy, and very near the food pole.

46454.jpg

That evening, a bull moose showed up. He stood at the top of the little hill and looked at us for a few minutes, and then picked his way down the hill.

46457.jpg

It was like synchronized swimming, all the guys got up and headed toward where the moose had gone, cameras at the ready. I got sucked into the vacuum and went too, but a distance behind. After all, there was a huge moose over there, complete with antlers, and I definitely wasn't the fastest runner.

46459.jpg46462.jpg

The guys were at the edge of the creek, watching the moose drink, but keeping an eye on the bison.

46465.jpg

The moose finished his drink, and headed toward the brush.

46466.jpg

At one point, the bison and the moose both looked at each other. They both headed off the way they had been headed.

46471.jpg

There was a pretty sunset. We each got about seventy-eleven-million photos.

46473.jpg

46485.jpg

When we woke the next morning, it was quite chilly. Someone, I believe Kevin, started a fire. It was an excellent idea. It was an excellent fire.

46500.jpg

Kevin went over to where the ford was. He looked up and saw bison on the edge of the little ridge above the ford, and then he saw them pour over, directly at him. We could see him running our way. He said he was yelling, but I didn't hear him. TractorDoc said he was running for his camera, and scampered off to get his camera. I just watched. Kevin stopped, and turned back to watch a large group (70?) of bison stampeding down the hill, and across the river. It was quite a show, but then I wasn't anywhere near them.

46502.jpg

Scatman and TractorDoc were headed up Cache Creek, toward Republic Pass. Kevin and I were to head up the Lamar Valley. There was plenty of time for Kevin to go up Cache Creek a ways, to see Wahb Springs, and come back. It was about 2 miles, and I decided to watch the fire, while Kevin did a four mile day hike. The hikers didn't go back to the trail intersection, instead they followed a horse trail above the creek. I'm sure the others will post pictures of the springs and Death Gulch.

46509.jpg

I have pictures of the fire.

46510.jpg

Two sets of horses came by. I believe both were guided groups.

46514.jpg

Kevin came back and we had lunch, and the next group arrived. We sat and talked for a while, then we put on our packs and crossed the creek. Our site was about 300 yards away. We had to get across the creek. We walked along, trying to find a most shallow spot we could. Honestly, it was hard walking. In the water, which was shallow, the rocks were slick, and they moved around a lot. We got across the creek though, and walked to our new site.

46536.jpg

The creek water was moving, but it had a good deal of uckiness (sediment).

46538.jpg

In the morning, I got out of my tent, and looked to the bear pole area, to see if Kevin were up. I saw his legs moving, but then noticed he seemed to have four legs. And a hump. Oh. I spoke to Kevin's tent, telling him we had a grizzly in camp. He poked his head out of his tent, and somewhere in that timeframe, I said, "Hey bear." The bear quickly flipped the other way and left. He didn't run, but he didn't amble slowly, either.

We looked to see how far he went, but never saw him.

We saw a couple of bear prints. The boots are size 9.5, so you can tell this wasn't a big grizzly. He was big enough, though.

46576.jpg

46577.jpg

This was the pantry area, where I had seen the bear.

46578.jpg

This was a pretty rock I found.

46579.jpg

Headed to the next campstie, we had to climb a hill. I am lazy, and don't like hills. But I did it.

46581.jpg

Looking back at camp, and sort of, toward the trailhead.

46582.jpg

Of course, there was a bison. He looked at us but didn't do anything.

46585.jpg

46586.jpg

Looking ahead, there appear to be mountains and trees.

46587.jpg

Also, there are multiple trails. Choices!

46591.jpg


46592.jpg

46596.jpg

This is looking back toward the confluence of the Lamar and Soda Butte Creek.

46598.jpg

46596.jpg

At camp, the tent sites were on a little bluff, over the river.

46608.jpg

The river had plenty of water, but it surely didn't cover the whole space.

46611.jpg

Some "carpenters" had been there before us.

46612.jpg

Shortly after setting up our tents, we had a visitor. He's in the shade, so it's kind of hard to see him, but he's in the center of the picture.

46614.jpg

Every once in a while he would come out for a better view. He was in camp for maybe 45 minutes. Frankly, I was horrified, or terrified, or something. Kevin stayed close, sort of, and let me know when the bison had climbed the hill behind the kitchen area, and was grazing.

46617.jpg

The sunset wasn't as good as the day before, but it was certainly nice.

46626.jpg

46629.jpg

Right around dusk, a different bull bison arrived. He checked out camp, and spent a lot of time rubbing the tree that my food bag was tied on. He left before dark, but not much before dark. I was worried I was going to have to spend the night on the beach, so had a hasty potty break before going down to the beach. I ended up with my knickers in a knot. TMI? Maybe. But it's not often that you get to use that line for real.

The next morning, I was awake but puttering about in my tent, when I heard Kevin say, "Something's crossing the river and headed for our camp." He had a view of the river, and with his headlamp, he could see eyes reflecting back. I could hear hooves. We thought it was probably an elk. We'd been hearing them all night. After a little bit, that one went somewhere.

I walked over to the food pole, and saw something on the ground. Oh. Ugh oh. My food bag. Apparently the bison HAD rubbed the tree my rope was tied to. Kevin had seen it hanging before we went to our tents the night before, but sometime, it had dropped. It was still closed, and nothing had disturbed it. Whew.


46633.jpg
46652.jpg

We were to head back to the previous night's site. The weather was iffy, though, and we decided we'd figure out what we wanted to do as we progressed toward the site.

This was a large chunk of petrified wood, at the little kitchen site by the bear pole.

46654.jpg

It wasn't raining, but the clouds were sure hanging around.

46655.jpg

Oh look, more decorations!

46657.jpg

Waaaaay over there is the road and RV's and people with spotting scopes.

46659.jpg46661.jpg

I wanted to get a picture of Kevin fording the creek. As I waited for him to be photogenic, I got this picture of an American Dipper. He was uncooperative and didn't look at the camera, but here's his picture anyway.

46664.jpg

This time he at least provided a profile picture.

46665.jpg

It's not a giant stream crossing, but you're thinking that with dry feet, aren't you?

46668.jpg

It's about three miles back to the trailhead. The entire way is out in the open. We had seen bison and a thermal area and pronghorns on the way in. This time we saw bison and the thermals, but the pronghorns were not visible. We were watching the clouds, though, and before we had gotten too far, we had our rainwear on.

46673.jpg

We ran into plenty of people, including a couple that had been going back to the trailhead, the day before. I'm not sure why they were doing the same dayhike.

It wasn't a super wet day, but things were soggy.

46674.jpg

My phone camera helpfully suggested that I clean my lens. That made things much clearer.

Our trip ended, over there, about two miles later. It had been a nice trip, with lots of wildlife. Lots. Maybe too much. But, there weren't any bugs!

46675.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 46617.jpg
    46617.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 46600.jpg
    46600.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 46447.jpg
    46447.jpg
    665.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 46450.jpg
    46450.jpg
    740.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 46451.jpg
    46451.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 1
  • 46576.jpg
    46576.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 46532.jpg
    46532.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
It was like synchronized swimming, all the guys got up and headed toward where the moose had gone, cameras at the ready. I got sucked into the vacuum and went too, but a distance behind. After all, there was a huge moose over there, complete with antlers, and I definitely wasn't the fastest runner.
This made me laugh, I also liked the photo of all the guys taking pictures of the bison. You captured "the American male backpacker" perfectly. :)
 
I'm glad you found it funny. The bison was visible, but when I went a little further toward the guys, I was able to see the moose, too. I wasn't that interested in getting over where they were. It appeared to be an interstate for large animals with hooves and pointy headgear. From an animals perspective, I've never had so many near or in camp.
 
Great write up as always @Pringles !

Getting to meet you and Kevin on this year's trip was a highlight for me. It is always fun to hang out with cool, outdoorsy minded people.

It was definitely a good year for wildlife - after Hugh and I continued on, we encountered more bison, elk, bighorn sheep, and even spotted some mountain goats up on the Thunderer. There were other critters too but the ones with feathers or more than four legs don't seem to get the same love/excitement from people that the big mammals do.

The robust cricket you noticed hiking on the way in is a Mormon Cricket. I had to dodge half a dozen of them myself.

I do hope you had a good time and were able to see something new. . . you never know what might be around that next corner. Next time we will all plan on heading over to Wahb Springs as a group (safety in numbers!) as I think you'd like to see that. A hike up Death Gulch will be optional. :)

I do hope to cross paths in Yellowstone with you again.

I have not yet started to go thru my pictures, but I did nab this one with the cell phone. That was definitely a good morning for a fire.

574a14dd-af57-4978-9329-1cb7fcdc7975.jpg
 
Great report! Cool to see and read about all the wildlife you saw. I'd have been nervous with a bison walking around camp too.
 
TractorDoc, it was great meeting you. When you're back, and I know you will be, let me know. I'd love to get to Wahb Springs. You're right, I don't have any intention of going into Death Gulch. I did see new things, and have new experiences, even if the new "thing" was Mormon crickets. I admit, telling people I had a grizzly in camp has more of an impact than saying I saw a cricket, and sometimes it's about the story!

Thank you Jackson. I don't know how nervous Kevin was, but I got down on the beach pretty quickly, and stayed there. Some visitors are best left to wandering around without close supervision.
 
Thank you so much for the pictures and the descriptions the shoulder is doing great and I wish I could’ve been up there. It’s still been right at 100 every day here in Austin and seeing y’all have to have a fire to get warm cools my heart that’s I have been into the cache Creek area before on my very first trip into Yellowstone in 94 and loved it, but it was hot then I’m wanting to go up a little ways into Lamar and I’ve been. I was just looking at that on my GAIA map thing on my phone earlier today once again thank you for giving me some cool pictures and wow, a Grizzly in camp…
 
Hi Trout Whisperer. Glad your shoulder is doing well. It's been a busy summer. It was extremely hot for a while. We changed the plans for one hike, going to where we thought it might be cooler. Cooler isn't cool, however. I can't imagine the heat in Texas. When the time comes, and you're coming back up here, give me a whistle. There are lots of places I want to go in the park. :-)
 
I had made plans to hike up the Lamar River, a little ways, just to see what it looked like. Last year, I had gotten to the edge of the Thorofare, and saw a NEW VIEW in Yellowstone. I thought that maybe, around the corner from where everybody drives, there might be another new view, so when the time to sign up for trips came along, I got a couple of nights a little ways up the Lamar River Trail. Not far, mind you, but maybe enough to see something new. When the time came closer, I found that Scatman and TractorDoc were in the area the day ahead of me, and that Kevin (I can never remember his online name, but it's K-something-R) wanted to come, too. So on the appointed day, when it was cold-ish and rainy-ish and very, very windy, Kevin and I began our hike, crossing the footbridge, and walking along the trail.

After a mile, we turned up a little valley, and there, not too far off the trail, were a number of bison. I had picked mid-September for the hike because I hoped the bison would be out of rut, and calm again. These were pretty sedate, and we cautiously walked by them.

View attachment 152969
We noticed many of these bugs along the trail. They appeared to be robust crickets.

View attachment 152970
Look! No cars!

View attachment 152904

The campsite is almost straight ahead, down the hill. The valley to the left is the Cache Creek valley. I'd had reservations to go up that valley about 8 weeks before, but it was projected to be 90-95*, so that trip got swapped for another trip. It was still hot, but not as hot. Maybe it was. There were a couple of hikes this year that baked my brain.

View attachment 152905

Walking through a grassless area, I looked down and saw a garter snake. He was moving slow. It's time for him to find a winter home.

View attachment 152906

The first site was just over the lip of this hill. The view shows where we went in the next few days.

View attachment 152910

Kevin led down the switchback.

View attachment 152911

I had spent a night at this site a few years ago, and remember this descent as a muddy, manure-covered, rooty mess. I don't remember switchbacks, but if there were, there were also a few spots where you just had to fend for yourself. This was much nicer, though, some of the descent was still like riding ball bearings down.

View attachment 152912View attachment 152913

We walked a small bench above Cache Creek, through sagebrush, to the campsite. It had been decorated with a variety of rocks, and petrified wood.

View attachment 152914

There was also, um, this. It looked a little like a Gaboon Viper, if you just glanced quickly at it. It wasn't. TractorDoc looked at it and said something about pelvis. It was kind of creepy, and very near the food pole.

View attachment 152915

That evening, a bull moose showed up. He stood at the top of the little hill and looked at us for a few minutes, and then picked his way down the hill.

View attachment 152916

It was like synchronized swimming, all the guys got up and headed toward where the moose had gone, cameras at the ready. I got sucked into the vacuum and went too, but a distance behind. After all, there was a huge moose over there, complete with antlers, and I definitely wasn't the fastest runner.

View attachment 152917View attachment 152918

The guys were at the edge of the creek, watching the moose drink, but keeping an eye on the bison.

View attachment 152919

The moose finished his drink, and headed toward the brush.

View attachment 152920

At one point, the bison and the moose both looked at each other. They both headed off the way they had been headed.

View attachment 152921

There was a pretty sunset. We each got about seventy-eleven-million photos.

View attachment 152922

View attachment 152923

When we woke the next morning, it was quite chilly. Someone, I believe Kevin, started a fire. It was an excellent idea. It was an excellent fire.

View attachment 152924

Kevin went over to where the ford was. He looked up and saw bison on the edge of the little ridge above the ford, and then he saw them pour over, directly at him. We could see him running our way. He said he was yelling, but I didn't hear him. TractorDoc said he was running for his camera, and scampered off to get his camera. I just watched. Kevin stopped, and turned back to watch a large group (70?) of bison stampeding down the hill, and across the river. It was quite a show, but then I wasn't anywhere near them.

View attachment 152925

Scatman and TractorDoc were headed up Cache Creek, toward Republic Pass. Kevin and I were to head up the Lamar Valley. There was plenty of time for Kevin to go up Cache Creek a ways, to see Wahb Springs, and come back. It was about 2 miles, and I decided to watch the fire, while Kevin did a four mile day hike. The hikers didn't go back to the trail intersection, instead they followed a horse trail above the creek. I'm sure the others will post pictures of the springs and Death Gulch.

View attachment 152926

I have pictures of the fire.

View attachment 152927

Two sets of horses came by. I believe both were guided groups.

View attachment 152928

Kevin came back and we had lunch, and the next group arrived. We sat and talked for a while, then we put on our packs and crossed the creek. Our site was about 300 yards away. We had to get across the creek. We walked along, trying to find a most shallow spot we could. Honestly, it was hard walking. In the water, which was shallow, the rocks were slick, and they moved around a lot. We got across the creek though, and walked to our new site.

View attachment 152930

The creek water was moving, but it had a good deal of uckiness (sediment).

View attachment 152931

In the morning, I got out of my tent, and looked to the bear pole area, to see if Kevin were up. I saw his legs moving, but then noticed he seemed to have four legs. And a hump. Oh. I spoke to Kevin's tent, telling him we had a grizzly in camp. He poked his head out of his tent, and somewhere in that timeframe, I said, "Hey bear." The bear quickly flipped the other way and left. He didn't run, but he didn't amble slowly, either.

We looked to see how far he went, but never saw him.

We saw a couple of bear prints. The boots are size 9.5, so you can tell this wasn't a big grizzly. He was big enough, though.

View attachment 152933

View attachment 152934

This was the pantry area, where I had seen the bear.

View attachment 152935

This was a pretty rock I found.

View attachment 152936

Headed to the next campstie, we had to climb a hill. I am lazy, and don't like hills. But I did it.

View attachment 152937

Looking back at camp, and sort of, toward the trailhead.

View attachment 152938

Of course, there was a bison. He looked at us but didn't do anything.

View attachment 152939

View attachment 152940

Looking ahead, there appear to be mountains and trees.

View attachment 152941

Also, there are multiple trails. Choices!

View attachment 152942


View attachment 152943

View attachment 152944

This is looking back toward the confluence of the Lamar and Soda Butte Creek.

View attachment 152945

View attachment 152947

At camp, the tent sites were on a little bluff, over the river.

View attachment 152948

The river had plenty of water, but it surely didn't cover the whole space.

View attachment 152949

Some "carpenters" had been there before us.

View attachment 152950

Shortly after setting up our tents, we had a visitor. He's in the shade, so it's kind of hard to see him, but he's in the center of the picture.

View attachment 152951

Every once in a while he would come out for a better view. He was in camp for maybe 45 minutes. Frankly, I was horrified, or terrified, or something. Kevin stayed close, sort of, and let me know when the bison had climbed the hill behind the kitchen area, and was grazing.

View attachment 152953

The sunset wasn't as good as the day before, but it was certainly nice.

View attachment 152954

View attachment 152955

Right around dusk, a different bull bison arrived. He checked out camp, and spent a lot of time rubbing the tree that my food bag was tied on. He left before dark, but not much before dark. I was worried I was going to have to spend the night on the beach, so had a hasty potty break before going down to the beach. I ended up with my knickers in a knot. TMI? Maybe. But it's not often that you get to use that line for real.

The next morning, I was awake but puttering about in my tent, when I heard Kevin say, "Something's crossing the river and headed for our camp." He had a view of the river, and with his headlamp, he could see eyes reflecting back. I could hear hooves. We thought it was probably an elk. We'd been hearing them all night. After a little bit, that one went somewhere.

I walked over to the food pole, and saw something on the ground. Oh. Ugh oh. My food bag. Apparently the bison HAD rubbed the tree my rope was tied to. Kevin had seen it hanging before we went to our tents the night before, but sometime, it had dropped. It was still closed, and nothing had disturbed it. Whew.


View attachment 152956
View attachment 152957

We were to head back to the previous night's site. The weather was iffy, though, and we decided we'd figure out what we wanted to do as we progressed toward the site.

This was a large chunk of petrified wood, at the little kitchen site by the bear pole.

View attachment 152958

It wasn't raining, but the clouds were sure hanging around.

View attachment 152959

Oh look, more decorations!

View attachment 152960

Waaaaay over there is the road and RV's and people with spotting scopes.

View attachment 152961View attachment 152962

I wanted to get a picture of Kevin fording the creek. As I waited for him to be photogenic, I got this picture of an American Dipper. He was uncooperative and didn't look at the camera, but here's his picture anyway.

View attachment 152963

This time he at least provided a profile picture.

View attachment 152964

It's not a giant stream crossing, but you're thinking that with dry feet, aren't you?

View attachment 152965

It's about three miles back to the trailhead. The entire way is out in the open. We had seen bison and a thermal area and pronghorns on the way in. This time we saw bison and the thermals, but the pronghorns were not visible. We were watching the clouds, though, and before we had gotten too far, we had our rainwear on.

View attachment 152966

We ran into plenty of people, including a couple that had been going back to the trailhead, the day before. I'm not sure why they were doing the same dayhike.

It wasn't a super wet day, but things were soggy.

View attachment 152967

My phone camera helpfully suggested that I clean my lens. That made things much clearer.

Our trip ended, over there, about two miles later. It had been a nice trip, with lots of wildlife. Lots. Maybe too much. But, there weren't any bugs!

View attachment 152968
Nice report - thank you!

I had to chuckle at your very first photo. I know exactly where that is because - twice - I have run into surly bison in that exact same spot. The first time, there were a couple of young bulls sparring a little bit, and they both stopped and stared me down for a minute or so before ultimately moving on.

On the most recent occasion, as I was coming back to the trailhead, a small herd was right on the trail, so I bypassed them to the left, going down and around the hump that's shown on the right of your photo. Just as I reached the bottom of the hill on the opposite side, I heard that unmistakable sound, looked up the hill, and saw about a dozen bison running straight toward me. I probably haven't moved that fast since! :cool:

Thanks again. I'm glad you had a nice trip.
 
Back
Top