Weather in the Winds late Sept

outnabout

Hey all. I've been dying to do my annual solo trip in the Winds but I couldn't get around to it until now and the only time I have is at the end of September. It's already getting down to 29 degrees in Pinedale at night and I'm wondering how miserable I'll be at the end of September. Has anyone gone out recently or have an idea of what the weather will look like last weekend of Sept? I don't know if it's even worth going if I'm going to be battling snowstorms or thunderstorms the whole time. Any thoughts are welcome.

Could be good but cold. Then again you could need snowshoes
Hey all. I've been dying to do my annual solo trip in the Winds but I couldn't get around to it until now and the only time I have is at the end of September. It's already getting down to 29 degrees in Pinedale at night and I'm wondering how miserable I'll be at the end of September. Has anyone gone out recently or have an idea of what the weather will look like last weekend of Sept? I don't know if it's even worth going if I'm going to be battling snowstorms or thunderstorms the whole time. Any thoughts are welcome.

haha.....I know there was already 5" of snow over 10,000 ft last week. Could be warm but chances that late its cold, short nights and weather...

Anybody that tries to forecast mountain weather, ANY time of year, weeks in advance is with all due respect not quite right. 40 years ago on the first of August there was 10" of snow in the Teton Wilderness. Two weeks later I pulled 1.5" of ice from the water bucket at Fox Park. In 2014 after a heavy early October snow I had 60 degrees up on the Southern end of the Buffalo Plateau on 10/25. In 2005 after 4' of snow the first week of October it warmed up and I was able to drive to the Bonneville Pass Trailhead.

Take what the mountains give you and be prepared to punt and do something else.

@Absarokanaut "not quite right" huh? We all know high-mountain weather is a fickle lady to dance with. Just wondering what people's experience and best-guesses were for late October and I wanted to see if anyone had been up there recently. Weather patterns have certainly changed since 40 years ago.
@Bob Thanks for the update.

I'm just going to play it by ear and have a plan B, C, D, etc. The mountains are calling and I need the escape. Thanks for all the responses!

My apologies; just remeber the "if you don't like the weather in _______ wait a minute." The Absaroka got a fair amount of snow last week. We're in the middle of some rainy days here in Jackson but it is forecast to clear by Sunday. We've had two glorious Octobers in a row. This one very well could be, but aside from seasonal predictions I never count on a forecast more than a few days out.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Wandering Bison Severe weather or alerts to your inReach, Zoleo, etc. Gear 4
The Trout Whisperer How’s th weather In y’all’s neck of th woods? General Discussion 26
Nick Historical Weather Data Trip Planning 8
Rockskipper Weather.com photo contest Photography 0
RyanP Wind River Range, early September---how to prepare for weather General Discussion 7
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail September Weather? Trip Planning 4
westy Wonderful weather along the Dirty Devil Hiking & Camping 0
F wind river september weather? Trip Planning 7
Bob Weather Sites General Discussion 0
Bob Which City in the USA has the most variable weather? General Discussion 0
mak1277 Sierra weather - mid-September Trip Planning 1
Jason Weather General Discussion 9
baltocharlie April weather General Discussion 15
Nurrgle Weather this weekend General Discussion 17
Yvonne Album Weather, Storms and Clouds Photography 445
wsp_scott Article: Trapped in the Winds General Discussion 2
Bob Glaciers of the Winds video General Discussion 0
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
OldBill (mis)Adventures in and around the Winds Backpacking 8
Janice Wonderful Week in the Winds Backpacking 7
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Mijita Winds from gannett to cirque Trip Planning 16
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
OldBill Winds: Aug 28-Sep 19, 2021 Backpacking 6
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 6
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
andyjaggy Last minute Winds trip Meet Up (Members Only) 12
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
D Input for our trip to the Winds??? Trip Planning 6
OldBill In and Around the Winds, Sept 2020 Backpacking 8
Happyidiot 4 Days In The Winds Backpacking 10
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
RyanP 5-day Winds trip in early Sep---suggestions? Trip Planning 18
OldBill A segmented month in the Winds Trip Planning 17
Happyidiot Winds in Early August Trip Planning 7
Janice Acclimating to altitude & a few other questions for Winds trip Trip Planning 23
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
OldBill A return to the Winds: Sept 12-28, 2019 Backpacking 8
Hiker Seth Southern Winds tour 8/23/19 - 8/28/19 Backpacking 11
Bob Bomber Lake - Winds Current fire Trip Planning 0
Kullaberg63 Super short notice: Looking for Winds partner Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Kullaberg63 Winds: Backpacking to Bikepacking Backpacking 2
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
TeamJenkins17 Quick 4 day Winds trip Trip Planning 32
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
Lowro Winds advice Trip Planning 11
Burrito Winds - Pole Creek -> Lester Pass -> Island Lake / Titcomb -> Hobbs Backpacking 7
Dave Missing Boy Scout in the Winds General Discussion 7
J Southern Winds Backpacking 4