Wasatch/Uintas conditions late April/early May

Vegan.Hiker

I'll have a few extra days in the area that I want to use wisely at the end of April, early May. One option but that may not be feasible was to hike from the North Rim to the South Rim and then fly home out of Phoenix (I started another thread for advice on that possibility), another option would be spending some time in the mountains closer to SLC and flying out of there. I know every year is different, but are late April/early May "typically" hikable conditions if typical even applies. Am I better off just staying further south in the desert that time of year?

Any advice would be appreciated.

You'll probably have some snow in most places in the Wasatch around then, unless our Winter is really dry. I'd imagine the higher places in the Uintas will still have a good amount of snow. The lower elevations in the Uintas may be hikeable, but you'd have to ask someone else for input on that. I have no experience in the low elevations other than passing through. You could probably find something to do in either range, but it all depends on how much snow you're willing to deal with.

If you want to avoid the snow, staying down South is your best bet.

It's prime time for desert at that time of year, and very very shoulder season in the mtns. I believe April is the second snowiest month of the year in northern Utah, after March. If you were to do a Uintas trip, you would be doing it on skis/snowbshoes/crampons. It would be a fantastic adventure but I wouldn't call it a hiking adventure per se - it'd be a few levels of difficulty/involvement above that. Any time bThisefore about mid-June, in a typical snow year, is going to be 100% on snow.

This is all dependant on elevation, of course, but anything that's really worth visiting from out of state (the high alpine stuff) is going to be firmly locked in winter still. Also Mirror Lake Highway won't be plowed until at least Memorial Day, and none of the dirt roads will be passable either unless you have a snow machine. In short, I might suggest the desert for that timeframe unless you're looking for a truly badass trip

As a concrete data point, our snowpack in the Wasatch typically peaks around the end of April or early May - right around the time you'd be here

Thanks guys, kind of what I had suspected based on what I've heard just hanging around BCP now for a while. I'll spend my time further south. I'll be finishing up a week in Death Hollow and want to spend a few extra days out there afterwards before flying home. It probably makes the most sense to stay down there around Bryce, Captial Reef, Escalante right? A north to south rim to rim doesn't sound feasible that time of year either.

Go south! Is it really too early for rim to rim then? It's a great time to be on the Colorado Plateau.

Might be a good time to do a rim to rim but accessing the north Kaibab TH to start from the north sounds very difficult. It sounds like the roads getting to the park, no less the trailhead, are all closed until May 15th and covered in snow.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WasatchWill Advice for August - Wasatch, Uintas, Tetons Trip Planning 14
Bob Alien Devices in the Wasatch General Discussion 7
regehr Wilson Fork, Millcreek, Wasatch Hiking & Camping 1
regehr Wasatch front treasure hunt General Discussion 6
Perry Day Hike Exploring the Wasatch Ridge Line Hiking & Camping 5
Ugly June Wasatch Wanderings... Hiking & Camping 2
wabenho Move from the Wasatch Front to St. George area? General Discussion 6
wabenho Snowy December Walk in the Wasatch Hiking & Camping 7
wabenho Another Morning MTB Ride – Wasatch Back Everything Else 1
wabenho Two Mornings in the Wasatch Front - MTB Everything Else 3
Perry Wasatch Two-for: Ben Lomond and Willard Peaks Hiking & Camping 9
Uncle_Dim Wasatch Front Quick Trip Advice Needed Trip Planning 8
LarryBoy Wasatch North-South Traverse General Discussion 5
Kullaberg63 Wasatch peak info Trip Planning 7
Nick Wasatch Mountain Accord - The future of The Wasatch? General Discussion 2
Lisa MK North Thunder Peak Wasatch Hiking & Camping 3
Thomas Rasmuson Hikes Along The Wasatch Front Trip Planning 3
uthunter Fishing The Wasatch, New Book General Discussion 0
E Wasatch mountains bear advice. General Discussion 21
Nick 2014 Wasatch Snow Melt General Discussion 4
D Wasatch Front - Early June Family Backpacking Trip Planning 5
lostlandscapes Broads Fork, Wasatch Mountains Hiking & Camping 11
PureLightImages Hikes in the Wasatch 2012 Hiking & Camping 3
Tyler Red Pine (Wasatch) Hiking & Camping 5
Nick Backpacking in The Wasatch Trip Planning 11
PureLightImages Mountain Luge in the Wasatch General Discussion 4
Tyler Baker Pass - Wasatch Mountains August 2005 Hiking & Camping 4
Tyler Big Springs - Wasatch Mountains July 2005 Backpacking 0
Tyler Grandure Peak - Wasatch Mountains September 2006 Hiking & Camping 0
Tyler Wasatch front hiking: The Living Room May 2008 Hiking & Camping 8
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2023 Trip Planning 39
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
2eez4life Uintas Conditions 2022 Trip Planning 18
regehr Uintas this weekend? Trip Planning 4
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
6 Uintas Trip Planning Trip Planning 5
Perry Sunrise/Sunset Uintas Marriage Proposal Location Suggestions Trip Planning 25
N Gilbert Meadows- High Uintas Trip Planning 0
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2021 Trip Planning 9
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
C High Uintas Wilderness - Last minute plans Trip Planning 4
Mountain Wanderer High Uintas Wilderness - Granddaddy Basin Backpacking 4
scatman Bourbon Lake, Uintas - July 11, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
ridings82 Uintas Backpacking Loop Trip Reports 12
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2020 Trip Planning 69
B Uintas question Hiking & Camping 3