Wanna buy a Colorado 14er?

Rockskipper

No ETA
http://www.postindependent.com/news...n-the-sangre-de-cristo-range-for-105-million/

Culebra Peak, one of the state’s 54 — or as many as 60, depending on who’s doing the counting — iconic 14,000-foot mountains is on the market as part of a massive wilderness estate on the edge of the San Luis Valley that borders the New Mexico state line. The more than 83,000-acre Cielo Vista Ranch, meaning “View of Heaven,” can be all yours for a cool $105 million.

Presently 14er peak-baggers must pay $150 per permit for groups of up to 25 people to hike Culebra, and reservations are open on Fridays and Saturdays only, late-June through the end of August, though there will be no climbs this year after July. Commercial fishing and hunting trips, among its 100 miles-plus of streams and trophy-level big game, are other activities that can be booked through the ranch.

The Colorado Fourteeners Initiative estimates that fewer than 1,000 people attempt to climb Culebra Peak — a Class 2 (of 5), 5-to-7-mile hike with about 3,000 feet of elevation gain, depending on the starting point — each year, at least in part due to the associated fee. In fact, because so few make the trek to the ranch, located 45 minutes outside of Alamosa in Costilla County, the mountain’s northwest ridge route has no established trail, making for an even more unique experience.

I'm hiking it this weekend. According to the ranch, a contract was signed last weekend on the property.

I'm hiking it this weekend. According to the ranch, a contract was signed last weekend on the property.

Take lots of photos and share with us, please, as you may be one of the last if the new owners aren't amenable to climbers.

Checking them out as we "speak." What I'm seeing is outstanding and can't wait for your TR.

From what I've heard, the ranch was sold to a new owner on August 2nd. I guess we'll have to see what happens with hiking in the future when the transition is over...

Sounds like someone like Redford or Turner bought it. Can you imagine actually owning a bunch of high peaks like that? Unlike Utah, Colorado has open real estate buy/sold records, so it will probably eventually come out who it is.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Coyote Gulch btw 22 and 27 May - anyone wanna share a ride? Trip Planning 0
pixie1339 Invite Wanna go to The Wave? Meet Up (Members Only) 28
balzaccom What did you NOT buy today? Gear 49
LarryBoy What car should I buy? Gear 50
wsp_scott Help me buy a bike Gear 10
MVS Would you buy....? General Discussion 3
LarryBoy Snow Shoes - what should I buy? Gear 6
Nanda What did you buy today? Gear 496
Nick Support BCP - Buy a beanie! General Discussion 38
McGimpkins The only backpack anyone should ever buy General Discussion 4
F Tell Me What to Buy with REI Gift Card Gear 9
Tater Head point and shoot-What to buy? Photography 5
Christian What vehicle should I buy? Gear 47
DAA Bear cannister, need to buy one... Gear 37
steve Boats... to rent or buy? General Discussion 124
Backcountry Post Where do you buy your gear? General Discussion 14
Archbishop suggestion: buy-sell-trade Questions, Suggestions & Support 1
futurafree Colorado and LCR turbidity time Trip Planning 1
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 4
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
westy San Juan mountains, Colorado Hiking & Camping 8
westy Colorado Plateau spring Hiking & Camping 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
gnwatts Butt cold on the Colorado On The Water 11
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
futurafree Green vs. Colorado Rivers above confluence Trip Planning 5
futurafree Colorado off-trail ideas? Trip Planning 8
Harrison1991 Colorado climbing Meet Up (Members Only) 2
J Scrambles in the Lower Colorado River Corridor AZ/NV; Dec. 11-14, 2020 Hiking & Camping 5
Gimmy Hello from Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
piper01 fall foliage in Colorado late September Trip Planning 6
W Little Colorado shuttle / transport Trip Planning 7
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
powderglut NW Colorado Snow conditions General Discussion 16
Titans COLORADO PLATEAU ROAD TRIP - November & December 2018. Hiking & Camping 21
D New dams proposed for Little Colorado River/Grand Canyon General Discussion 2
Nohmichel Colorado Backpacking in October 7-12 2019 Trip Planning 8
Shirt357 Colorado or Oregon? General Discussion 25
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
D Hello from Colorado Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
TrektheWorld Booth Lake Basin - Gore Range, Colorado Backpacking 7
DuneElliot Colorado Trail Section Hike, June 2018 Backpacking 9
stevecochranephotography Blue Lakes Trail... Southwest Colorado in the Mount Sneffels Wilderness Hiking & Camping 9