Wahweap Hoodoos and Sidestep Canyon

powderglut

In search of Fresh
I understand that there is no longer any access from the high side off of Cottonwood Rd. So it seems If I want to see both Wahweap Hoodoos and Sidestep, it will have to be 2 separate hikes. I also understand that if I want decent light at Wahweap, I'll have to get an early start from just north of Big Water.
My question is... would you also hike into Sidestep from Big Water or go in from Church Wells? It appears that people have used both routes. It also appears that from Church Wells there will be more options to see more than just Sidestep. I'd like to see both areas if weather cooperates this April. Any opinions?

Last edited:
It seems that most people got to access the hoodoos from the now, closed admin road. Has anyone come in from the hwy 89 side? Bottom up? Would still happily take any info on access into Sidestep Canyon. Walk up canyon from Wahweap creek access or hike it in from the west just north of Church Wells?

Nobody?? Anybody? I figured a few of you out of this group has visited this area. I guess there's always the rangers at Big Water or Paria Guard Station. Hoping for some first hand experience. Thanks.

we are heading there in a little over two weeks. I know that doesn't help you now though

we are heading there in a little over two weeks. I know that doesn't help you now though
We haven't picked the days we plan on visiting yet. Probably around April18-23. If no one has any useful info to post in this forum, we will just talk with the rangers at Big Water.
We used to do an awful lot of trips (back in the day), with very little info, before the internet.

Probably not helpful, but I hiked to the Waheap Hoodos on Sunday morning from near Big Water. It only took me about an hour to reach them, so a super early start isn't that necessary.

Probably not helpful, but I hiked to the Waheap Hoodos on Sunday morning from near Big Water. It only took me about an hour to reach them, so a super early start isn't that necessary.
Thanks, I doubt I can get the crew going real early anyway. Me? No problem. I'm guessing you didn't head west towards Sidestep?
There's a lot to see all the way from the Rim Rocks to Wahweap Cr. Hope to see a fair amount of it in a couple days of exploring.

I'm guessing you didn't head west towards Sidestep?

You are correct. I was short on time Sunday as I had to drive back home and go to a concert that evening, so I was only able to visit the Wahweap Hoodoos at sunrise before heading back.

Thought I'd pop this back up if anyone had anything worthy to mention about Sidestep or the general Wahweap area. Leaving this Sunday to spend a week in this area. Looking forward to getting some color overload after an extremely white winter.