Virginia/Delaware Camping

anker123

*Looking for camping recommendations in the Virginia and/or Delaware area.

I am interested in camping in Virginia or Delaware on my journey down the east coast , but I am unfamiliar with this area. I am traveling from New Hampshire to Florida, and would like to stop and camp in one of these states. With the onset of COVID-19, a lot campgrounds are closed. Are there recommendations on locations to just pitch a tent/ any recommended campgrounds that may be open/not crowded? I am mostly familiar with BLM-style camping in the west, but I am having trouble finding public land to just pitch a tent in.

Would appreciate any advice!

- Anker123

I don't have much advice as I haven't lived there in a long time, but if you have time to travel down the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive, it is worth it. The last time I was on this route (4-5 years ago), there were a pretty good number of places (at least for the east coast) to access Forest Service land to camp. Shenandoah NP is currently closed so you may need to jump off the route for that section.

If you are staying near I-95 then Brandywine State Park is fine in Delaware. If you are going into LSD (Lower Slower Delaware) then Trap Pond State Park is great along with Cape Henlopen State Park. Also Assateague State park on the Maryland coast is nice. Shenandoah National Park is beautiful in Virginia. I believe all of the Delaware state parks are closed so definitely call ahead to confirm before you go.

I see you are a new member so Welcome! You may want to also post on the mid-Atlantic forum at bpbasecamp. GaliWalker is very familiar with that area among others.

Was disappointed we couldn't make our Dolly Sods/Shenandoah trip this year. Would have left yesterday. But, they even have roads shut to the Dolly Sods Wilderness last I checked. Would have been cold camping the next few days anyway. My GF would not have liked lows in the 20's and even 30's. Developed CGs in WV and VA are not considered essential. Dispersed camping is for the most part, highly discouraged it seems to keep tourists out. Increased vandalism at many recreation sites across the US so be careful.

I don't have much advice as I haven't lived there in a long time, but if you have time to travel down the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive, it is worth it. The last time I was on this route (4-5 years ago), there were a pretty good number of places (at least for the east coast) to access Forest Service land to camp. Shenandoah NP is currently closed so you may need to jump off the route for that section.
Check the rapidan recreation area. You can also stop by or call great outdoor provisions in Charlottesville and they will be more than helpful. Shenandoah is closed at the moment! There's a great campsite on top of Strickler Knob as well in Luray, VA. Beautiful views and I don't think it's in nps land.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BJett Dolly Sods Wilderness - West Virginia Backpacking 17
wsp_scott Mt Rogers NRA (Virginia) Backpacking 5
BJett Mount Rogers National Recreation Area - Virginia Backpacking 18
mofca Hello from West Virginia! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
piper01 Glacier National Park, Part 1: Hidden Lake and St. Mary & Virginia Falls (Sept 2017) Hiking & Camping 3
W Virginia and points West Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
C Canyonlands: Chesler Park, Virginia Park ??? Trip Planning 7
Vegan.Hiker A weekend traipsing around Virginia Backpacking 13
Opi Virginia Highlands and Ponies Backpacking 11
Cara Not Really Backpacking: Car Camping Trip in virginia. Trip Planning 1
BrettCottrell Veach Gap, Virginia Backpacking 1
BrettCottrell Seneca Rocks, West Virginia Hiking & Camping 7
Vegan.Hiker Paddlin 'round the Delaware Swamps Hiking & Camping 9
balzaccom Delaware North General Discussion 1
balzaccom Plan to avoid Delaware North services at all times! Trip Planning 0
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
Jackson What does "car camping" mean, in your opinion? General Discussion 33
dhertbag Camping at Cottonwood Cove - Coyote Buttes South Trip Planning 11
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
Rockskipper Car Camping Tent Suggestions Gear 37
norwegianxplorer Winter storms, camping in Norway Trip Reports 0
Dreamer Sublette County backroads fly fishing and truck camping On The Water 7
G Dispersed camping near Zion? Trip Planning 5
IlVagabondo Yellowstone Camping Question General Discussion 13
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
TeamJenkins17 Wyoming winter camping Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Family Camping Vehicle & Camper with bikes and an HOA Gear 13
swmalone Yellowstone Camping Trip - August 18-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 21
kwc Northern Adirondack car camping On The Water 0
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
kwc Wiliam C. Whitney Wilderness canoe camping (Adirondacks) On The Water 10
Miya Snow Camping = Frozen Face? Resource Discussions 17
Outdoors24 Your car camping cooking setup General Discussion 39
Titans Permits car camping Grand Staircase Escalante NM? Trip Planning 6
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
Stephanie B Camping/Off-Roading Gear for Sale Gear 0
balzaccom Car camping the Navajo Rez and Mojave Hiking & Camping 6
Mikjik86 Video Hiking/Camping San Rafael Swell/Goblin Valley/Horseshoe Canyon - Feb 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
JBPHXAZ Needles District Car Camping Suggestions Trip Planning 3
Mikjik86 Good car camping? Stuff to do near Goblin Valley area Feb 24,25,26? Trip Planning 15
C Camping at Beaver Falls, Havasupai Trip Planning 1
swmalone GSENM Camping Question Trip Planning 37
NorthwestWanderer A Year Camping in the PNW Photography 3
TrektheWorld Need help with Uintas trip - camping Trip Planning 8
F Quick Lake Blanche (Utah) camping Q? Trip Planning 9
powderglut Camping By the Henry Mts, Slots, and Cedar Mesa Ruins Hiking & Camping 9
P Any Quiet Camping Suggestions? Trip Planning 2
Vegan.Hiker Car Camping Window Screens Gear 11
Jimmy Hole in the Rock Car Camping Trip Planning 0
Wanderlust073 Winter camping at Lake Helene, RMNP Backpacking 14