Utah late Oct/early Nov

Wanderlust073

Trying to map out what's left of my time off this year and I'd like to spend a couple nights in Utah. Any recommendations for areas around I70 coming in from CO? Are national park permits a hassle that time of year? Any blm areas that still deliver the views?

I've obviously done zero research so far, but figured I'd come to the locals first :p

Trying to map out what's left of my time off this year and I'd like to spend a couple nights in Utah. Any recommendations for areas around I70 coming in from CO? Are national park permits a hassle that time of year? Any blm areas that still deliver the views?

I've obviously done zero research so far, but figured I'd come to the locals first :p

There will be many who know much more than I, but my two go-to areas for that time of year are 1) Moab,
meaning Arches NP & Canyonlands NP. 2) San Rafael Swell

I would (and may) head for Beef Basin and over to Fable Valley.

Have you done any exploring in Rabbit Valley? There's a lot there to see, and you won't even leave Colorado, yet you'll be in some cool country. Same with the Dolores Triangle - even though it's in Utah, you won't see many people there and it's awesome, none of the Moab crowds and closer to home.

Last edited:
Have you done any exploring in Rabbit Valley? There's a lot there to see, and you won't even leave Colorado, yet you'll be in some cool country. Same with the Dolores Triangle - even though it's in Utah, you won't see many people there and it's awesome, none of the Moab crowds and closer to home.

I might have spent time in an airport there but as far as I can actually remember i've never been to Utah at all. I consider it a bonus for moving to CO, having it right next door now.

If you've never been there, your first trip should go down the River Road, as it's incredibly beautiful. Have all your water and supplies. Take the second Cisco exit off I-70 going west (204, has a cell tower). It eventually drops into the river canyon. Camp at Fisher Towers and hike the trail, or if that's full, try Onion Creek or any of the river campgrounds. You used to be able to camp anywhere out there, but now it's pretty restricted, and you need a port a potty, even if it's just a bucket, if you're not in a developed campground with pit toilets, in case the rangers ask. After enjoying that country for a day or two, which could include driving up the Dolores River to the ford, Onion Creek, or taking the Dome Plateau road if you have 4X4, drive on into Moab for lunch at the Moab Diner or the Quesadilla Wagon, but be prepared for culture shock (tourists). You can then drive on out north of town for a quick visit to Arches or even go on up to the Island in the Sky, depending on how much time you have. The campgrounds in Arches will be full, but you might be able to get into Horsethief on the Island or even Dead Horse Park (too many people, but OK for a recon trip, but probably full anyway). There's some camping north of town off 191 though it's getting harder to find - one good spot is Little Valley, off the Klondike Bluffs Road (used to be called Burro Seep) out by the airport. Then go on out to I-70 and head home. That's a good intro to the area.

Last edited:
PS The later in the season you can go, the fewer people you'll see. The whole area's become a zoo. If you find a campsite far from town, take it, as the ones closer in get filled fast. One other nice camping place is the Sand Flats Rec Area above town, lots of nice primitive sites, though be prepared for the motoring crowd.