UT 150 In Winter

Jackson

I ❤️ GYE
Having trouble finding info for this online, so I figured I'd ask the pros. How far up UT 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) from Kamas do they plow during the winter? I seem to recall reading that you can drive as far as the turnoff for Soapstone, but I'm having trouble verifying. Anyone know for sure? I'm wanting to try somewhere not Wasatch on my snowshoes, especially after spending 1.5 hours in horrible traffic just to get out of BCC today. Ugh.

Correct, the road is closed at Soapstone and from there up it's usually groomed and popular with snowmobiles. I lived in Kamas one winter and had a lot of fun playing in the areas below there.

Correct, the road is closed at Soapstone and from there up it's usually groomed and popular with snowmobiles. I lived in Kamas one winter and had a lot of fun playing in the areas below there.
Would be really cool to spend a winter there! Thanks for the reply.

And apparently you're one of the lucky ones; heard there were 4+ hr backups coming down BCC yesterday. Bad weather or no, that's kind of obscene. :mad:

And apparently you're one of the lucky ones; heard there were 4+ hr backups coming down BCC yesterday. Bad weather or no, that's kind of obscene. :mad:
Wow. That's unreal. Probably an hour and twenty minutes of our wait were spent on the section from just below Mill B South to a mile from the intersection with Wasatch Boulevard. I don't even know what I'd have done if I had to wait 4 hours.

I don't think I'll ever go up there on a day where it's snowing significantly again. Seems like there's always some idiot who goes too fast around a corner, crashes, and ruins everyone else's day on top of their own.

Wow. That's unreal. Probably an hour and twenty minutes of our wait were spent on the section from just below Mill B South to a mile from the intersection with Wasatch Boulevard. I don't even know what I'd have done if I had to wait 4 hours.

I don't think I'll ever go up there on a day where it's snowing significantly again. Seems like there's always some idiot who goes too fast around a corner, crashes, and ruins everyone else's day on top of their own.
Fun fact: those 4x4/chain restrictions are just because UDOT is mean and wants to ruin your powder day. Yeah, go ahead and take that 2wd Audi with all-season tires up the canyon. I'm sure it will end well.

Realistically though, exhorting everyone to be smarter and nicer is not a viable solution because the odds of getting one "bad apple" in a metro area of 1.1 million people, most of whom ski, is statistically a near-certainty. Only solution to me is to just prohibit vehicle traffic in the canyon. Build a half dozen big, ugly parking structures near the mouths of the canyons and have a shuttle bus leave every thirty seconds. Make it more convenient than driving. But now we've strayed wayyyyy far from the original topic :)

But now we've strayed wayyyyy far from the original topic
Eh, not a problem. It was pretty much /thread with Nick's solid answer anyway. I love complaining about traffic, bad drivers, and how crowded it feels in Salt Lake County.

If you don’t mind going in via Evanston 150 is gated just past the North Slope road. There is the Lily Lake Nordic ski area trail head just off of 150. Quite a few trails some allow snowmobiles others are just for skis or snowshoes. I snowshoed to Lily lake for the day a couple of years ago. One trail goes right up to the wilderness boundary so lots of area to explore. One other thing is several yurts available to reserve. They have gas and wood stoves with plenty of chopped wood. I want to do an overnighter one of these days.

https://brorayurts.org/yurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk