Upper Neon Canyon (conditions)

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I'm planning a trip to Escalante on 10/22-10/25. We are aiming to hit the Zebra Slot, Willow Gulch/Broken Bow Arch and do the rappel into Neon Canyon... I was wondering if anyone knew what the condition of upper Neon Canyon is? Are the keepers fully submerged and are now swimmers? There will be six in our group and couple of them don't have wet suits... I'm not sure what the water temperature is this time of year. I wouldn't think twice about it if it were a 100° outside but a high of 75°? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Matt

I definitely do not know first hand, but I do know that that area recently flooded, which means the canyon should be quite wet. More wet weather coming, plus cool temps, means that if it were me, I'd feel good about the prospect of not encountering the infamous keeper potholes.

With that said, wet suits this time of year (or all year?) are ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY. Seriously, if they don't have wetsuits, DO NOT GO. October is not time to mess around with cold water anywhere, much less in a canyon like Neon where practically the entire thing is water. Here's my experience there in late October 2012 right after some serious flooding: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/neon-canyon.1505/

One more thing... when you say 'upper Neon', I think a lot of folks might think you're going for the full canyon. Lower Neon into the cathedral, aka the 'sport route' is what I did. It's still a solid technical canyon that is way more serious than the rap into the Golden Cathedral alone. I think you're just talking about the lower sport section though. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you're going for more than the sport route, my 'ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY' part should just increase in font size and boldness. Also, there should be some seriously competent leadership. Given the risks from the keepers, even the lower section of Neon is several notches up from being beginner-friendly, IMO.

Yout right it is the sport route. I should have been more clear. I'm confident with my rope skills but the keepers do have me a little nervous. I just picked up a Black Dimond Alpine Aider for a little extra help pulling out some of our group. Wet suits in my mind are a must as well. My son and I won't be going without one but there are a couple folks in our group that aren't on the same page. There argument is that they did Ding and Dang canyon once and it was pretty wet and they came out just fine (I'm rolling my eyes right now). Maybe I should get some new hiking partners :). Do you know of any outfitters in Escalante that rent wet/dry suits? If not we will just hike in and save the rap for next year when they can be a little more prepared... Thanks for the heads up...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
W Cow season in upper Paria canyons Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
TheMountainRabbit Upper Toklat River (Denali NP) - August 2018 Backpacking 7
Janice Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Janice Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - August 2-7 Backpacking 15
CloakedInSmoke Boot upper repair Gear 7
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
piper01 The Upper Gulch and Egg Canyon, GSENM Backpacking 6
Titans The impressive Upper Muley Twist Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
P Yellowstone, Lonestar Geyser into the upper Bechler Backpacking 2
P Yellowstone - Lonestar into the Upper Bechler and back Backpacking 14
Kullaberg63 Upper Death Hollow - blitz descent Backpacking 8
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
Devin Ashby Upper Escalante Canyon / Death Hollow Info? Trip Planning 15
Wanderlust073 Upper Willow Lake overnight - Eagles Nest Wilderness Backpacking 4
Parma Capitol Reef, Upper Muley Twist Day Hike Backpacking 19
Parma Is the road to Upper Muley Twist doable in an Outback? General Discussion 19
DrNed North Platte & Upper Green River Trip Planning 0
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains-Leggat Creek, Upper Mill Creek Hiking & Camping 1
kimbur96 First Solo overnight, Navigation Trail, Upper Priest River, Northern Idaho Backpacking 10
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
scatman Invite Mirror Plateau - Upper Lamar River - Hoodoo Basin - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 27
Kullaberg63 Upper Bowdie loop Hiking & Camping 21
Dave Upper Muley Twist, May 23-25 2015 Backpacking 14
BJett Upper Red River - Red River Gorge Geologic Area On The Water 13
IntrepidXJ Upper Pollock Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
BJett Day 1 - Upper Calf Creek Hiking & Camping 1
ogdendude Upper Salt Creek Canyon, again Backpacking 5
A Upper Settings Trail - Uintas Trip Planning 8
IntrepidXJ Upper Calf Creek Falls Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Upper Black Box Canyoneering 10
Scott Chandler Easter Weekend Day 3: The Upper San Rafael Hiking & Camping 2
John Fowler Upper Muley Twist, again Hiking & Camping 18
Christian Little Egypt, Burr Trail, Upper Muley Twist, Escalante Slots Hiking & Camping 23
B Timpanooke to Upper Scout Falls Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Upper Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Lower Muley Twist vs. Upper Muley Twist Trip Planning 19
pstm13 Upper Salt Creek Backpacking 16
pstm13 Upper Salt Creek Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BrettCottrell Upper Hazard & Hard Trail Creek lakes. Grassy Mountains, Idaho. Hiking & Camping 8
Jammer Upper Muley Twist from Notom Rd? Trip Planning 11
Dave Upper Muley Twist Canyon, Capitol Reef Trip Planning 0