Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions

feldychi

Hello,

We are planning a 1 night backpack along the Escalante River in a couple of days Apr 19-20, 2023. Anyone been in there recently? How high is the river for wading in it? Also how cold is the water?

I know it has been a colder and wetter year than normal. Any help is much appreciated. We are going from Escalante town TH to HW 12 Bridge.

Thanks,
Carrie

you can get data from the source:

I think @fossana traveled along this corridor recently. my take is that this might be a good time to give this trip a miss.

The temps have dropped from last week, so the flow rates are down. Last week, with 80F temps I was regularly hitting thigh deep plus sections and water moving fast enough to push me off balance, and I wasn't excited to do long wades. The water is somewhat cold, but not alpine runoff cold. Of note for the lower Escalante River, the gauge doesn't take into account flow from other channels like Boulder Creek. The ranger station told me a good rule of thumb is to double the volume from the Escalante gauge.

Last edited:
I was there last week. In the area around Horse Canyon, the water was waist deep in the narrow parts and knee deep in the wider areas. It was running quickly to the point where I needed my poles to stay upright, but it was very doable.

Have fun!

I walked the stretch from Fence Canyon to 25 Mile on April 22. Once it got to my mid thigh due to soft sand underfoot. I was never really concerned but grabbed a stick as a staff for balance at each crossing. Too muddy to see the bed but could see where soft sand substrate was being churned up so I avoided those spots to locate firmer footing. Illegal cows (according to the Escalante VC) had beat out good trails on the meanders and led to logical crossings. I saw more cows than people.

Just returned home today from a nine day trip in the southern Waterpocket Fold area. While we were there, the weather was fabulous: an hour's worth of very light rain, some evening winds, otherwise as good as it gets. Potholes were full of water and streams flowing gently. Powell was at 6524' so huge expanses of formerly drowned areas were easily walkable. Trip report will be published in the hopefully near future.

James

Just returned home today from a nine day trip in the southern Waterpocket Fold area. While we were there, the weather was fabulous: an hour's worth of very light rain, some evening winds, otherwise as good as it gets. Potholes were full of water and streams flowing gently. Powell was at 6524' so huge expanses of formerly drowned areas were easily walkable. Trip report will be published in the hopefully near future.

James
Will be excited to read your trip report!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
Waynee-ack Upper Escalante River Backpacking 7
Devin Ashby Upper Escalante Canyon / Death Hollow Info? Trip Planning 15
Christian Little Egypt, Burr Trail, Upper Muley Twist, Escalante Slots Hiking & Camping 23
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Upper Paria Loop Hike - September 2023 Backpacking 4
Janice Lizard Head Plateau - overlook Upper Cathedral Lake? Trip Planning 15
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. Upper Monarch Canyon plus. Dec 1, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
W Cow season in upper Paria canyons Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Off Trail to Yellowstone's Aster Lake and Upper Witch Creek -- September 13, 2021 Hiking & Camping 13
TheMountainRabbit Upper Toklat River (Denali NP) - August 2018 Backpacking 7
Janice Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in Michigan's Upper Peninsula Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
Jammer Sequoia: Upper Kern and Lake South America Backpacking 12
Janice Porcupine Mountains in Michigan's Upper Peninsula - August 2-7 Backpacking 15
CloakedInSmoke Boot upper repair Gear 7
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
piper01 The Upper Gulch and Egg Canyon, GSENM Backpacking 6
Titans The impressive Upper Muley Twist Canyon Hiking & Camping 8
P Yellowstone, Lonestar Geyser into the upper Bechler Backpacking 2
P Yellowstone - Lonestar into the Upper Bechler and back Backpacking 14
Kullaberg63 Upper Death Hollow - blitz descent Backpacking 8
DrNed Upper Henry's Fork Lakes Trip Planning 1
Wanderlust073 Upper Willow Lake overnight - Eagles Nest Wilderness Backpacking 4
Parma Capitol Reef, Upper Muley Twist Day Hike Backpacking 19
Parma Is the road to Upper Muley Twist doable in an Outback? General Discussion 19
DrNed North Platte & Upper Green River Trip Planning 0
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains-Leggat Creek, Upper Mill Creek Hiking & Camping 1
kimbur96 First Solo overnight, Navigation Trail, Upper Priest River, Northern Idaho Backpacking 10
scatman Invite Mirror Plateau - Upper Lamar River - Hoodoo Basin - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 27
Tater Head Upper Neon Canyon (conditions) Trip Planning 2
Kullaberg63 Upper Bowdie loop Hiking & Camping 21
Dave Upper Muley Twist, May 23-25 2015 Backpacking 14
BJett Upper Red River - Red River Gorge Geologic Area On The Water 13
IntrepidXJ Upper Pollock Canyon Hiking & Camping 3
BJett Day 1 - Upper Calf Creek Hiking & Camping 1
ogdendude Upper Salt Creek Canyon, again Backpacking 5
A Upper Settings Trail - Uintas Trip Planning 8
IntrepidXJ Upper Calf Creek Falls Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Upper Black Box Canyoneering 10
Scott Chandler Easter Weekend Day 3: The Upper San Rafael Hiking & Camping 2
John Fowler Upper Muley Twist, again Hiking & Camping 18
B Timpanooke to Upper Scout Falls Hiking & Camping 0
Udink Upper Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Lower Muley Twist vs. Upper Muley Twist Trip Planning 19
pstm13 Upper Salt Creek Backpacking 16
pstm13 Upper Salt Creek Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BrettCottrell Upper Hazard & Hard Trail Creek lakes. Grassy Mountains, Idaho. Hiking & Camping 8
Jammer Upper Muley Twist from Notom Rd? Trip Planning 11