Union and Gunsight Passes - Wind Rivers

Upgrayedd

I don't know much about the Wind Rivers, let alone early season road conditions. Looking to head out there for some light hiking and sight seeing this summer or late fall. I would prefer when there are snow capped mountains.

In the Uintas there's usually a 2-3 week window in June (varies depending on snow pack and summer conditions) where trails in the 9000-10,500ft range are clear/dry but the mountains are snow capped and the bugs haven't come out in full force yet. I'd love to hit a similar window in the Winds.

Our route will take us to Green River Lakes to hike around, and then we'll drive over Union Pass, see Gunsight Pass, and then over to Hwy 26.

General idea of when these roads are passable? June? Early July? Looks like max elevation is up there at 10,200 ft.

We'll be driving built Toyota 4runners on 33" AT tires so fairly capable but nothing crazy.

Maybe. But that said dont need to rut the roads. I;'d call the USFS (Shoshone and Bridger) and inquire. They may have road closure dates. Green River campground doesnt open till July 1. Both Union and Gunsight are over 9000. Usually a lot of snow that high in June.... but yearly can vary.

Maybe. But that said dont need to rut the roads. I;'d call the USFS (Shoshone and Bridger) and inquire. They may have road closure dates. Green River campground doesnt open till July 1. Both Union and Gunsight are over 9000. Usually a lot of snow that high in June.... but yearly can vary.

True. I've read some reports elsewhere that showed people first week of July and all the road looked dry, which is why I asked. Good call on contacting the USFS.

Reactions: Bob
Now Upgrayedd just letting you know that it could be an early spring and an early summer for the Rocky Mountain West this year. So the time you may want to take this trip might come a few weeks earlier IF the current conditions in the west continue. Right now including for NW Wyoming, the current snowpack and the snow water equivelant is below normal for huge parts of the west. So you may want to be mindful of this of this lower snowpack then normal. Have seen this before where one year the snowpack would be above normal (like last year) and spring coming later. And then the next year it being below normal.

In years gone by would go into the wilderness in May. And Yes it was usually in the early summer when the snow would be melted, things greened up, but the bugs not out yet, and with the high country still white. Would usually be in June at some point. The peak bugs often coincided with the peak flower bloom for the bugs help pollinate the flowers. Hope this all helps you out.

Reactions: Bob
You can also check online at the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale. They update every week or 2 starting in May. Would still call the USFS to confirm and get details. Couple of sections were heavily rutted last time I drove it. Darn slick in some of those too, even though it hadn't rained recently. At least the old bridge over Tosi Ck has been replaced. Only 76% of median for Upper Green now. Hope the remainder of winter and spring bring more. Last thing that's needed are more massive fires out W.