Uintas Conditions 2022

2eez4life

How has this thread not been started this year yet. Guess I'm doing it.
My selfish interest is in hearing how the bugs are right now and anticipated to be in the next week or so?

On May 28th snow was too deep to make it past about 9400ft on upper setting road.
This weekend, June 10th, the road was clear to the top and the trail to East Shingle was clear. There was still some 1-2ft deep drifts in the shaded areas.
It was hot and the trail was very busy, tons of dogs and bikes. 15-20 cars at the trailhead on saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_121332005.jpg
    IMG_20220611_121332005.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 24
On May 28th snow was too deep to make it past about 9400ft on upper setting road.
This weekend, June 10th, the road was clear to the top and the trail to East Shingle was clear. There was still some 1-2ft deep drifts in the shaded areas.
It was hot and the trail was very busy, tons of dogs and bikes. 15-20 cars at the trailhead on saturday.
Nice, thanks for the update. Any observation on bugs?

Hoping the bugs stay in remission for one more week. By the 4th, it'll be a lost cause.

Hoping the bugs stay in remission for one more week. By the 4th, it'll be a lost cause.
I can report that this last weekend there was no bugs out. They didn't have a chance in-between the gale force winds and the rain/hail/snow events.
I know they are there though... and they are coming!

@regehr Uintas in June sometimes has some great windows of opportunity, others are stormy and others are some version of "embrace the suck", but I find it funny that most people do not go until early July when the bugs are the worst.

This past weekend had some pleasant temps, rain, frogs singing.
Mosquitoes were out by Trial/Washington, and also when we stopped at the Provo R overlook in the late afternoon. I had 5 bites, 3 were in the first few minutes by Washington.
Up higher though, the bugs were just starting. Saturday morning had more than Friday or Thursday for example.

Crowds were thin, perhaps some was because of the air show? maybe some because of the price of gas? I dunno, crowds overall were lighter. We drove by a few trailheads just to check them out on Saturday at 11am, and some of the usual suspects were not empty, but only half full.

Something of note:
Crystal Lake TH is closed while it is being expanded. It seems you can park with impunity at the stock trailer parking lot, and anywhere along the road going back with the overflow parking... and by impunity I mean, cars were in the road, or parked in "abnormal" spots and there were no tickets on any of them yet.
The new trailhead parking looks like they have added maybe 50% more parking to the original lot. There was not anything posted for when it would open. All access to the Lake country is on the connector trail from the overflow.
On an actually busy Saturday, until that trailhead is reopened, parking will be a joke.

Eastern Uintas - elevations 10,500-11,800. Very little snow left, just a few patches here and there. Meadows remain wet/submerged.

Bugs are out below about 10,800'. They're biting, but not at the apocalyptic vampire stage yet. Long sleeves and pants are a good idea, but no need for a headnet, even while stationary.

Given my history anywhere in UT besides the Needles, it is my duty to inform you folks that I'll be headed that way on the 27th, and in the Uintas through the 7th of October. I can't say if it will be drastic temperature drops or a procession of storms this time, but ...it's coming:D
Can't wait!

Given my history anywhere in UT besides the Needles, it is my duty to inform you folks that I'll be headed that way on the 27th, and in the Uintas through the 7th of October. I can't say if it will be drastic temperature drops or a procession of storms this time, but ...it's coming:D
Can't wait!
I think the people of Utah would happily take a temperature drop or some storms!

Typical Uintas weather so far-changing by the minute.
I'm in a hotel in Evanston between mini trips.
2 nights for Amethyst and Ryder from Christmas Meadows, and 2 nights from China Meadows for Red Castle over to Henry's Fork Basin. Didn't get to freezing the first two nights, ~20 the second two.
Rain, hail, snow. Stopped trying to keep track of how many times for each, but 6 hours of rain during the night at Ryder Lake.
Quite windy around Smith Fork Pass and from Anderson Pass to Gunsight Pass.
Sporadic and brief, but very high gusts at Smith Fork Pass yesterday. Had to put on full rain gear...
4 bars on my phone at Anderson pass(how?!?), and called my mother. Very brief, since it was about 30° with 30mph winds, and I just had a sun hoody and windshirt on.
Henry's Fork Basin was crazy. Clouds rolling in like waves, just like when I got stormed on 10x in one day last September between Uintah Lake and Dead Horse Pass.
I was standing in the sun where the trail crosses the top of the basin watching it rain on the east side and snow on the west side at the same time.
Pretty cool!

Lucky!
1664810771004.png

I love the Uintas this time of year, it sounds divine.