Uintas 2 Night trip

Snomelc

Hello, first time here. Looking for some info on a Uintas 2 night trip for my wife and I. We would love to do a loop, but have no experience in the area. Have done lots in WA, ID, and MT but never ventured away from our area. We are thinking about a trip around late July-mid August. Would love ideas or trip reports for 2 night 3 day!

Hello, first time here. Looking for some info on a Uintas 2 night trip for my wife and I. We would love to do a loop, but have no experience in the area. Have done lots in WA, ID, and MT but never ventured away from our area. We are thinking about a trip around late July-mid August. Would love ideas or trip reports for 2 night 3 day!
What's your fancy? In the trees, above treeline? Alpine lakes or trout-filled rivers? On-trail, off-trail? Interested in peakbagging? Willing to drive dirt roads? What's your typical daily mileage like? Will you be in high-altitude shape?

I'd say a good introduction to the Uintas would be something in/around Naturalist Basin from the Highline TH or the Clyde Lake Loop from Crystal Lake TH.

An up and back to Dead Horse Lake in West Fork Black Fork has plenty to see and do for 3 days/2 night.

Amythest and Middle Basins are a good 2 night trip as well.

LarryBoy, Don't have a fancy, just love being out in nature. Wife would prefer to stay on trail. Probably not interested in peak bagging, peaks or passes are find just there to see new places and have a nice weeked. Depends on the Dirt road, will be driving my Toyota Camry From WA to get there so if pretty flat and not muddy then sure. Typical mileage when we do a 2 nighter is about 2-10 per day depending on the trip. probably no more then 30 max for us here. But we usually backpack around 3000-6000. so probably try and keep it shorter in the 3-8 range per day just to be careful with high altitude. we will do our best with training for higher altitude, what are high and low elevations there? DrNed and Parma i will look into those. if you guys know of a website or trip reports for those that would be awesome! Thanks

LarryBoy, Don't have a fancy, just love being out in nature. Wife would prefer to stay on trail. Probably not interested in peak bagging, peaks or passes are find just there to see new places and have a nice weeked. Depends on the Dirt road, will be driving my Toyota Camry From WA to get there so if pretty flat and not muddy then sure. Typical mileage when we do a 2 nighter is about 2-10 per day depending on the trip. probably no more then 30 max for us here. But we usually backpack around 3000-6000. so probably try and keep it shorter in the 3-8 range per day just to be careful with high altitude. we will do our best with training for higher altitude, what are high and low elevations there? DrNed and Parma i will look into those. if you guys know of a website or trip reports for those that would be awesome! Thanks
The high Uintas start at about 9k and go up (you won't find much above 12k with the exception of a few of the highest passes). If you're looking for a 2-3 mile trip, on-trail, Dr. Ned's suggestion of Amethyst/Middle Basins has your name written all over it. Stay one night at Ryder or McPheters Lake and the other at Amethyst Lake. Both of those basins are at about 10k-10500. It's a 4 mile drive on dirt but the road is in good shape and you'll be fine in a passenger car with careful driving.

Otherwise, Four Lakes Basin could be a wonderful time - perhaps 1 night at Naturalist Basin and 1 night at Four Lakes - or just pick one or the other if both is a little too aggressive. Four Lakes would be a farther haul, but less crowded than Naturalist.

About how far is Four Lakes? I think were looking for about maybe 3-6 miles a day, i am not too worried about pushing ourselves and will be careful and watch ourselves. (i mean i do have to hike with a nurse) which everyone knows means a heavier first aid kit lol. But i would love to see as much as i can staying within those miles, so maybe a total of 10-18 miles total for 3 days.

About how far is Four Lakes? I think were looking for about maybe 3-6 miles a day, i am not too worried about pushing ourselves and will be careful and watch ourselves. (i mean i do have to hike with a nurse) which everyone knows means a heavier first aid kit lol. But i would love to see as much as i can staying within those miles, so maybe a total of 10-18 miles total for 3 days.
Maybe 20 miles round-trip? I'd suggest getting yourself a copy of the Trails Illustrated map for the High Uintas Wilderness and let your eyes wander. Presents a great overview of the range and is perfectly adequate for on-trail travel.

Given it's your first time in the range and you're driving a sedan, I would recommend staying near the highway 150 corridor. If you could arrange a short shuttle, the Notch Mountain Trail would be a great choice.

I'd have to second the Notch Mountain trail. @Dave above provided some great directions for me late last fall. I have done the trail from both sides of the Notch pass and it's a great trail. Many things to see and do all along it. Here are couple of videos from my trips. Keep in mind that these both were very late season and so the weather was not great and cold, much different than you would be seeing in July/August..

This first one is from the Bald Mountain trail head to the Notch and back...

This one is the Clyde Lake loop, the first part of which is the Notch Mountain trail up to the Notch...