Uinta backpacking recommendations

leatherman

Huh?
This summer I'm planning on taking my 14 y.o. niece and 13 y.o. nephew on a 3 or 4 night trip into the Uintas. I've been perusing this site and have a couple of trail maps, but I'd really like your suggestions. Ideally, our trip would be to hike in to our destination, perhaps 5 to 7 miles, than use that as a base camp for further exploration. We'll probably be doing this trip in mid-July. I know this is a wide open request but having never been to the area I'm looking for some pointers.
Thanks,
Eric

This summer I'm planning on taking my 14 y.o. niece and 13 y.o. nephew on a 3 or 4 night trip into the Uintas. I've been perusing this site and have a couple of trail maps, but I'd really like your suggestions. Ideally, our trip would be to hike in to our destination, perhaps 5 to 7 miles, than use that as a base camp for further exploration. We'll probably be doing this trip in mid-July. I know this is a wide open request but having never been to the area I'm looking for some pointers.
Thanks,
Eric

Late July may still have some snow (most years but I don't know about this one though)... I would suggest Kings Peak via Henrys fork. Hike into the bowl below, lots of fishing and side hikes even hitting the highest point in Utah can be a big plus for the kids.

You have definitely come to the right place for information on backpacking the Uintas. :D I'll put together a list and post soon...
Thanks Nick. I actually found this site while searching for trip reports. All of the great pictures definitely have me stoked for getting into the high country.

Most of the good spots are going to be more like 7-10 miles for the base camp. There are closer areas over by Hwy 150 but most are out of the wilderness area and very busy. Here are some of my recommendations.

Amethyst Basin
This is probably the best trip that fits your mileage criteria and it is really pretty. The camping and fishing at Toomset and Ostler lake are great or the nice meadow down by BR-24 would also be a great central location to setup base camp. That meadow is only about 5 miles from the trailhead but with a big elevation change between miles 3 and 4. Spend the extra time hiking up to Amethyst, Ostler, Toomset or if you're feeling spicy, go bag Ostler Peak.

Ryder Lake (Middle Basin)
It's a bit over 9 miles from the Christmas Meadows Trailhead to Ryder Lake. There is plenty of good camping en route along the Stillwater Fork of The Bear River. Once there, there is quite a bit to explore by heading into the upper reaches of the basin. McPheters lake would be a nice diversion or you can bag one of the peaks or ridge lines that tower above. Hayden Peak, Mount Agassiz and Spread Eagle Peak are all right there.

Kermsuh Lake fits the mileage but there isn't a whole lot to explore so probably wouldn't recommend it for the situation.

Moving east, most of the northern drainages are going to put you around 9-10 miles deep before you get to a good base camp area. West Fork Black's Fork would be really nice. The 10 miles to Dead Horse Lake is gradual, very easy and extraordinarily beautiful. Camping along the river would be nice too, it is by far one of the most beautiful drainages in The Uintas. Buck Pasture in particular would be an excellent place to setup camp. If you camp closer to Dead Horse Lake, there would be much to explore like Lake EJOD, Dead Horse Pass, Red Knob Pass or even hike over the pass and check out Allsop Lake. WFBF is high on my list of things to redo.

I'll think of more and post again. :)