Trip suggestions for 1-2nd week April

Ravialdo

Just introduced myself in the Noobs section.
Here goes: I've got my annual back country trip vacation dates from work. Its going to be the 2nd week of April. Looking for suggestions.
My buddy and I have been kayaking and canoeing the past couple of trips. Last year we went to Lake Powell and kayak/camped along Weatherill Canyon and surrounding areas. The year before, did a canoe float trip down the Green River in Canyonlands. The year before that, a partial circumnavigation of Isle Royale in Lake Superior.

This year, I'm stumped. Usually I have a boat load of 'to-do' places, and I still kinda do.
What I'm looking for is a trip that:

1) Allows for limited back country campfires. I've never been to Capitol Reef and would love to go, but one of the hi-lights of these yearly trips is the ability to have a campfire in the back country. I'm fairly LNT, and our campfires aren't crazy, but it extremely nice to have.

2) Perhaps more open, slickrock rambling. I've done a lot of canyon trips, and while I like those, I also like wide-open spaces. Was thinking about Davis Gulch as the approach in the guidebooks states it is about 5 miles to the gulch or possibly Death Hollow.

3) Finally, something that allows for some solitude. I don't want to sound like a misanthrope, but I do like the fact that on most of these trips, we rarely see people. Living in a very population dense area, I need a 'breather' from people sometimes.

Suggestions? Trying to get started on my planning/logistics. This is the latest I've ever started my planning for any trip. Usually by now I not only have an idea but maps/permits, etc. This year, dunno what happened. True story.

Thanks!
Ravi

Hey Ravi, welcome to backcountrypost!

First thing that will be tough is the backcountry campfires. There are very few places in the southwest that you can legally have them while backpacking in canyons. All of the parks won't let you, and even in Escalante, if you're inside a canyon, it's not legal. You can have them on the rim there if you bring your own wood though.

There are some places that are just plain old BLM land that would probably be legal to have a fire, although like most any desert environment, it's not really suited for it. There just isn't wood to support recreational fires.

If you really do want to have a fire and backpack, one very good way to do that would be to hit the Trachyte Creek area and camp down by the shore of Powell. Hell, it would be a great choice for you all around. Great scenery, great solitude, legal to have a fire and a campsite with oodles of driftwood to burn. Check out my trip report from my trip there last year: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/index.php?threads/maidenwater-canyon.735/

He Ravi: I can't help much at this time but will be there the same time as you. Awaiting some books and maps before I make my decisions where I play. If I find anything helpful, I will post. My trip will be more like a smorgasbord style. A little here, a little there. Hope to do some canyoneering, mnt biking and backpacking/hiking.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
J Trip first week of April 2021 Southern UT/Anywhere AZ - Death Hollow, Coyote Gulch, or other suggestions? Trip Planning 9
M Suggestions for a 10 day backpacking trip in early June Trip Planning 8
RyanP 5-day Winds trip in early Sep---suggestions? Trip Planning 18
andyjaggy Suggestions for 3 day 2 night trip in March or April. Trip Planning 2
D Need suggestions for a backpacking trip with a base camp Trip Planning 10
Eugene Suggestions for mid-Nov backpacking trip Trip Planning 2
4 Suggestions for 5-6 day trip in the Bob Trip Planning 10
D Colorado advice?? Other trip suggestions?? Trip Planning 15
Tanasi 50 mile trip suggestions for 1st week of August? Trip Planning 19
Perry Capitol Reef NP Hiking and Road Trip Suggestions Wanted Trip Planning 1
tomcat32 Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip Trip Planning 1
J ISO Partner / Group for Winter Backpacking Trip / Suggestions Trip Planning 0
RyanP 3-day Canyonlands trip in May---suggestions wanted Trip Planning 3
Michael Help, tips, suggestions 4 our upcoming 2015 trip Trip Planning 17
jdgibney Quick Southwest trip Jan 14-18 - Looking for suggestions Trip Planning 3
pbax Trip to SW VA in late Oct. suggestions welcomed Trip Planning 1
jdgibney Short(ish) Yellowstone/Tetons Road Trip suggestions? Trip Planning 32
Eugene Suggestions for an April backpack trip Trip Planning 3
R backpacking trip suggestions Trip Planning 1
jdgibney Sunrise/Sunset Photography Suggestions For 10-12 day trip Photography 8
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
The Trout Whisperer Dad n daughter trip in the very near future… Hiking & Camping 7
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9