Trip Reports on Backcountrypost, Why just Utah?

uintahiker

Adventure Guru
I know a lot of you are on here because of your love of the Colorado Plateau down in southern Utah. I was just thinking though that we've got some members on here from pretty cool & amazing places in and of themselves. Miss Buffalo in New York, jdgibney in New Hampshire, Philippe in Germany, just to name a few. Here's what I'm saying- I want to see some trip reports from where you're at! Yeah, you probably don't have the amazing sandstone colors, but there's beauty everywhere be it hiking through an awesome hardwood forest, visiting an amazing waterfall, gazing from an amazing vista, and so on. Post a few trip reports from all over. Maybe you'll help those of us in Utah realize there are cool things somewhere else too.

I'm updating a hike from yesterday, but if you're all interested, I just started blogging for the first time this past week...
http://gibsadventures.wordpress.com/
Totally different world out here :)
As Nick can attest to, I'm not THAT blog/tech savvy. If there's an easy way to copy/paste that onto here (and if people would even be that interested), I'd be happy to share more than just the link....

I know a lot of you are on here because of your love of the Colorado Plateau down in southern Utah. I was just thinking though that we've got some members on here from pretty cool & amazing places in and of themselves. Miss Buffalo in New York, jdgibney in New Hampshire, Philippe in Germany, just to name a few. Here's what I'm saying- I want to see some trip reports from where you're at! Yeah, you probably don't have the amazing sandstone colors, but there's beauty everywhere be it hiking through an awesome hardwood forest, visiting an amazing waterfall, gazing from an amazing vista, and so on. Post a few trip reports from all over. Maybe you'll help those of us in Utah realize there are cool things somewhere else too.

Hi Uintahiker,

I leave in France, not in Germany (where I have good friends) ;)

I spend almost all my vacation time in the Southwest and I havn't done any trip in Europe for quite a long time. But I did several trips in the Sahara, the last one was in November 2011 (one week in the White Desert in Egypt) and later in the year I will post a report (mostly pictures) about this trip if some of you are interested.

I have a couple from here in Colorado that I could put together. This years trips will be uploaded for sure.

I'm updating a hike from yesterday, but if you're all interested, I just started blogging for the first time this past week...
http://gibsadventures.wordpress.com/
Totally different world out here :)
As Nick can attest to, I'm not THAT blog/tech savvy. If there's an easy way to copy/paste that onto here (and if people would even be that interested), I'd be happy to share more than just the link....

Awesome! One small thought- make the pictures bigger!

Hi Uintahiker,

I leave in France, not in Germany (where I have good friends) ;)

I spend almost all my vacation time in the Southwest and I havn't done any trip in Europe for quite a long time. But I did several trips in the Sahara, the last one was in November 2011 (one week in the White Desert in Egypt) and later in the year I will post a report (mostly pictures) about this trip if some of you are interested.

FRANCE! Sorry! The Sahara would be awesome. I'd definitely be interested in seeing TR's of some of your hiking in France too- it doesn't have to be a trip to turn it into a trip report...

when I finished with my finals soon I will post some trip reports. From either Southern Utah or Western New York.
But right now I definitely need to focus on my studies. :eek:
I haven't even browsed through my pictures of the Easter trip to Capitol Reef :cry:

Western New York would rock (in addition to your Southern Utah ones of course). I saw something once about animal shaped burial mounds (effigy mounds? I can't remember)- do they have any of those in your area, because that would make one rockin' TR!

FRANCE! Sorry! I'd definitely be interested in seeing TR's of some of your hiking in France too- it doesn't have to be a trip to turn it into a trip report...

That could seem unbelievable but I have not hiked in France since I have discovered the Southwest (that I love) about 14 years ago, as I spend almost all my vacation in the USA because in a few years it will be impossible for me to come back in the USA because of the huge increase of the price of plane tickets and of gas due to the rarefaction of oil, while my retirement salary will be low and my physical shape not so good. At that time, I will hike in France as there are also good opportunities for hiking in this country.

That could seem unbelievable but I have not hiked in France since I have discovered the Southwest (that I love) about 14 years ago, as I spend almost all my vacation in the USA because in a few years it will be impossible for me to come back in the USA because of the huge increase of the price of plane tickets and of gas due to the rarefaction of oil, while my retirement salary will be low and my physical shape not so good. At that time, I will hike in France as there are also good opportunities for hiking in this country.

I love the irony of it all. Each year there are so many young 20-something Americans that head off to backpack through Europe, while Philippe dreams of his vacation days over here. :twothumbs: If you do have some time to go hiking to some old Roman ruins or something, let us know. Otherwise, we'll still enjoy your commentary and reports from when you do make it over.

Western New York would rock (in addition to your Southern Utah ones of course). I saw something once about animal shaped burial mounds (effigy mounds? I can't remember)- do they have any of those in your area, because that would make one rockin' TR!

never heard of them so far. But maybe they are there and I have to figure it out.
But I could show some of the gems of my area like all those waterfalls, the State Parks. I spent a lot of time searching for waterfalls and also camping in our State Parks.
Beside that there will be some Utah trip reports. Just a few more weeks than I'll definitely have more time.
I can also post my trip to the Hawaiian Lava in May 2010. It was a once in a lifetime experience

I love the irony of it all. Each year there are so many young 20-something Americans that head off to backpack through Europe, while Philippe dreams of his vacation days over here. :twothumbs: If you do have some time to go hiking to some old Roman ruins or something, let us know. Otherwise, we'll still enjoy your commentary and reports from when you do make it over.

I also find it ironic. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.:) It's funny because there are actually quite a few Europeans who have seen more of my own state than I have because of how much vacation time you get over there. I've often joked to my friends that I want to move to Europe so I can see America.:lol:

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.:)

That's true... even if there is no much grass in the desertic places in the wilderness that I love to visit in the Southwest.

It's funny because there are actually quite a few Europeans who have seen more of my own state than I have because of how much vacation time you get over there. I've often joked to my friends that I want to move to Europe so I can see America

In France,most people are lucky to have quite a lot of vacation but in the other hand we earn less money, this kind of balance fits me well. Since 15 years, I have done 18 trips in the West and the Southwest (on a whole, more than 70 full weeks of visit). When my friends (who all know my passion for your country) ask me why I didn't tried to settle in the USA, I answer them that if I were working in a big firm in a town of the East Coast or West coast (as do most of the foreigners who find a job in the USA), I would have 3 times less vacation time to visit the Southwest than working in France like I do. That is what happens to my daughter (24) who settled in New York 2 years ago and who has not enough vacation time to do a decent trip in the Southwest like she loved to do with me when she was leaving in France.

i have a friend who lives in Key West and visits me for a month early every fall (I take a lot of time off then & get in a major amount of my longer trips in at that point - a nice break towards the end of the tourist season).
he kayaks to a lot of the barrier islands down there and i've been trying to get him to join & start posting some trip reports. so far it's like pulling teeth. ;) I'm going to keep working on him though.