To Do in 2020

April: BT in Capitol reef (apparently this is getting more popular!)
May:. Lower death hollow with my 12-year old son
June:. RMNP overnighter with my 6-year-old daughter (her first backpacking trip ever!)
July:. Camping in central OR with family. Also do a tough overnighter solo here in CO.
Aug:. Indian Peaks loop with my 10-year old daughter (her first 3-day backpacking trip)
Sep:. Do a 3-4-day backpacking trip in either RMNP, IPW, Holy Cross wilderness, or eagles nest wilderness.
Oct:. White rim road with some family

don't fall off my mountain bike
Do a snow climb requiring crampons and ice axe
Learn a knot or two
Organize my gear
Don't gain weight
Don't run completely out of vacation time

It appears that there are more and more easterners here vs. a couple years ago. We should organize a BCP East get together. Somewhere in WV (Dolly Sods?) would be very central for most of the east coast.

Anyone interested in a meetup?

It appears that there are more and more easterners here vs. a couple years ago. We should organize a BCP East get together. Somewhere in WV (Dolly Sods?) would be very central for most of the east coast.

Anyone interested in a meetup?

That would be an 8+ hour drive for me. I guess we'd need to find out where the easterners live and go from there.

Okay, so here is my real list of 2020 to-do's. I really am trying to dial trips back a little this year, particularly the river trips. Can't really say what rivers I'll do until the permit gods reveal what's in store.

1. Spend more time with Saguaros
  2. Spend some time in New Mexico
  3. Use my packraft for what it was intended
  4. Go on a couple rafting trips
  5. Camp every month
  6. 50+ nights

Kinda, yeah. Some good things happened with my career recently and I kind of want to focus more on that for a bit. Still gotta have a nice balance though.
Well congratulations! That's great news. I'm sure it's well deserved.

I have no idea....Camp more than last year, I suppose. The choices are overwhelming. Get in the car in April and see where I end up. Preferably nothing I've done before, unless it leads to something else.
Only thing planned at this point is Deer/Thunder from Bill Hall if we can drive through to the TH in April when our permit dates are. (Kanab backup plan I guess)

Last edited:
Haven't developed a complete list but

Feb: Get another of the 48 4K's in NH (snowshoe/crampons if we ever get any winter...)
Apr: Celebrate a friend's 48th and get another 4K
May: 2 weeks to explore Dolly Sods and the Shenandoah area
Aug/Oct: 5 weeks in Wyoming
a) Finally catch my first golden trout?
b) Show my GF Wiggin's Fork/Double Cabin + explore more of GTNF/Yellowstone
c) Lead my hiking group to Titcomb and answer the question a leader asked 3 years ago: "What's so great about the Wind Rivers?"
d) Do another 4-5 day adventure with my nephew, possibly Bear Basin or Flying Monkey (not enough time for Dry Creek/Horse Ridge)

Along with the constant search of gear tuning and learning new skills. (where's that magical 4 oz pair of stream crossing/camp shoes?)

Last edited:
Haven't developed a complete list but

Feb: Get another of the 48 4K's in NH (snowshoe/crampons if we ever get any winter...)
Apr: Celebrate a friend's 48th and get another 4K
May: 2 weeks to explore Dolly Sods and the Shenandoah area
Aug/Oct: 5 weeks in Wyoming
a) Finally catch my first golden trout?
b) Show my GF Wiggin's Fork/Double Cabin + explore more of GTNF/Yellowstone
c) Lead my hiking group to Titcomb and answer the question a leader asked 3 years ago: "What's so great about the Wind Rivers?"
d) Do another 4-5 day adventure with my nephew, possibly Bear Basin or Flying Monkey (not enough time for Dry Creek/Horse Ridge)

Along with the constant search of gear tuning and learning new skills. (where's that magical 4 oz pair of stream crossing/camp shoes?)

I just did Isolation last weekend and it was snowshoes from the Engine Hill bushwack to the summit. I imagine it's all snowshoes below tree line after this storm. Drop me a line if you are looking for a partner.

I have no idea....Camp more than last year, I suppose. The choices are overwhelming. Get in the car in April and see where I end up. Preferably nothing I've done before, unless it leads to something else.
Only thing planned at this point is Deer/Thunder from Bill Hall if we can drive through to the TH in April when our permit dates are. (Kanab backup plan I guess)

Some thoughts are coming together though I am infamous, when on my own, for indecisiveness and last minute deviations. I'm mostly solo this trip except for a GCNP permit. Perhaps I can stick to this:

If I can get moving on the 23rd:
4-5 days in N. Swell, Virgin Sp backpack and some neat looking butte scrambles
2 nights Moab, rock art dayhikes
4-5 days Cedar Mesa backpack, DH or both
Planned Deer/Thunder/Cranberry in GCNP
Goof around the vermillion cliffs scrambling to highpoints? Or straight to:
Escalante backpack
Capitol Reef Navajo dome scrambles
Home and back to work, by 4/25

Let's see if I do any of it?

Some thoughts are coming together though I am infamous, when on my own, for indecisiveness and last minute deviations. I'm mostly solo this trip except for a GCNP permit. Perhaps I can stick to this:

Escalante backpack

I believe in you. Sounds like an excellent way to spend a month.

Escalante backpack

Cranberry up or down... We went up and thought it easier.... Scarier going across the shake slope on up.... Ground was so hard footing was sketchy

4-6 night trip in the SE in March
4-6 night trip in the SE in May
Kids and synchronous fireflies in the Smokies first week of June
WV trip with brother in law and kids, somewhere different from Dolly Sods - middle of June
Dry Tortugas camping for 3 nights in early July (going to be hot)
Back to SEKI in late July/early Aug for 7 or 8 nights

Family and I just went skiing (Keystone CO) for the first time and discovered that I am not as athletic/coordinated as I thought. I hope to get some practice in here in the midwest so I can ski with my kids next winter.

At least one bikepacking trip this year.

General goals: dayhike once a week, 35 bag nights, hike at least 500 miles (never kept track before)

I managed to go skiing twice at a local hill about 1.5 hours from home (perfectnorth.com). One hour private lesson was $45, first day the guy has been an instructor for 39 years, second day the guy has been an instructor for 25 years. I learned a bit and got a little more comfortable, purchased a highly discounted season pass for next winter, hoping to get a lot better and then maybe CO skiing next March.

Still no backpacking, but hoping to fix that this next week.

I managed to go skiing twice at a local hill about 1.5 hours from home (perfectnorth.com). One hour private lesson was $45, first day the guy has been an instructor for 39 years, second day the guy has been an instructor for 25 years. I learned a bit and got a little more comfortable, purchased a highly discounted season pass for next winter, hoping to get a lot better and then maybe CO skiing next March.

Still no backpacking, but hoping to fix that this next week.
I went skiing once there when I was probably 12 years old. Classic Indiana skiing!

This will be the first time I will be posting my goals for the year.... hope I don't jinx myself.

As usual most of my plans involve the Uintas... what can I say? just can't stay away.

Trying for three more episodes of my Looping the Highline series. First one planned is a loop involving some peak bagging including Leidy Peak, Mt Untermann and Deadman BM. The other two are just rough ideas so far.

Get in some of Utah's 13ers. Of interest so far:

Tokewanna Peak from West Fork Blacks Fork (off trail)
Gilbert Peak using the traditional route.
Trail Rider Peak, maybe from the Swift Creek drainage, possibly tagging North Timothy on a loop route.
Wasatch Peak via East Fork Blacks Fork
Val BM - While not a 13er intrigued by photo op possibilities with it being adjacent to the Kings-Emmons ridge.

In the Wasatch I'm hoping to get a bit further up an off trail route from Weber Canyon south to the ridge line dividing Morgan and Davis counties. I have successfully done about a mile and half last year. (its pretty steep and really brushy in places) Also will try to hit a couple of peaks, maybe Mt Nebo (never done that one). Want to get in another annual trip up to Ben Lomond across the ridge to Willard Peak, one of my favorites on a clear day.

Hoping for the best! Wish me luck!