Three days in Arches...

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
My family and I will be in Moab March 27-30 th. I was wondering where you would recommend we spend our time as it will be our first time to Arches National Park. I have two girls that are ten and twelve and at times can be some what of a ball and chain. So I am really only expecting about eight mile a day out of them. We will be staying at a hotel :disagree: in Moab so it will just be day hiking. I was looking at Devils Garden but beyond that I'm not sure. I'm not overly concerned with Delicate Arch and the like if you feel that other sites are more interesting or scenic. Thoughts on Professor Creek or Negro Bill Canyon. Thanks for your help...

Reactions: Ben
If you haven't been to Delicate, you should definitely hit that up. Yeah, it's busy and iconic and you've seen a thousand pictures of it, but the setting it is in is quite spectacular. The arch itself is great, but seeing it all in person is a must.

Devil's Garden has a ton of bang for buck so that's a good idea. I'd still go hit the popular areas since it's your first time through. Do the short Windows Loop. Maybe the Broken Arch Loop over by the campground too. If you want to get a little more out of the way, Tower Arch is a nice hike over in Klondike Bluffs. And might as well go see Ring Arch while it still exists.

Your not camping! Why? Why? Why? We need to talk about this first! We can help!
Otherwise I have nothing for you on what to see at Arches. It's been 29 long years for me.
I'm not happy with the decision of a hotel anymore than you seem to be. .. I would rather be camping, sleeping on the ground, smell of smoke, stink from a long days hike and just be outside. On the other hand if a hotel means that I can get my whole family out and about then I can do it occasionally. I have found that my idea of adventure differs from what the rest of my families idea of adventure is. It's not that they don't camp we spent around 20 days camping as a family last summer, and my son and I more than that. For some reason they are putting up some resistance to camping this time. So here we are...

I'm not happy with the decision of a hotel anymore than you seem to be. .. I would rather be camping, sleeping on the ground, smell of smoke, stink from a long days hike and just be outside. On the other hand if a hotel means that I can get my whole family out and about then I can do it occasionally. I have found that my idea of adventure differs from what the rest of my families idea of adventure is. It's not that they don't camp we spent around 20 days camping as a family last summer, and my son and I more than that. For some reason they are putting up some resistance to camping this time. So here we are...

Man, I wouldn't sweat that at all. I don't feel bad about luxuries in order to have quality time with the family. Hell, I bought a friggin' pontoon boat because my wife wanted to go camping with the luxury of a portapotti and a private beach with no one around where all our kids (dogs) can run around and be happy. She can lounge around and nap and I can go hike, the dogs can play, we're all happy! And last year I camped more nights with her than I probably have in the entire 9 years we've known each other! (or at least pretty close to it) I've dragged her on a multitude of backpacking trips, some she enjoyed, some she didn't. The one thing I really learned from all of it is that it's not worth forcing the experience. Much better to suck it up and get a hotel, or a camper, or go to the desert rather than the rainy/buggy mountains, or whatever makes it worth doing and happy for all.

I understand completely. I have wife and 3 kids. It's sometimes the least complicated route one must take.
I've been dreaming of getting out to Utah for the past several years to camp, backpack and explore. I'm just so far away! Probably gona happen next spring though :twothumbs:
Enjoy your hiking!

Man, I wouldn't sweat that at all. I don't feel bad about luxuries in order to have quality time with the family. Hell, I bought a friggin' pontoon boat because my wife wanted to go camping with the luxury of a portapotti and a private beach with no one around where all our kids (dogs) can run around and be happy. She can lounge around and nap and I can go hike, the dogs can play, we're all happy! And last year I camped more nights with her than I probably have in the entire 9 years we've known each other! (or at least pretty close to it) I've dragged her on a multitude of backpacking trips, some she enjoyed, some she didn't. The one thing I really learned from all of it is that it's not worth forcing the experience. Much better to suck it up and get a hotel, or a camper, or go to the desert rather than the rainy/buggy mountains, or whatever makes it worth doing and happy for all.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you... Now I will use this post to pitch the idea of a pontoon boat. Wish me luck...

Nothing wrong with a hotel, cabin, hostel, whatever... there's no style points in hiking. Do what's best for the situation and relish in knowing you have planned a trip your family will enjoy. Hell, I stay in hotels on solo trips when I feel it makes more sense.

I was wondering how the roads are? I have read that some are 4wd recommended. We will be driving a GMC Acadia which happens to be all wheel drive but lacks great ground clearance. Where can I go and where I should not go?

If would suggest doing Corona Arch too. It's outside the park, but may be the best hike & arch in the area. Of all the places that have been mentioned in this thread, none of them will be a problem accessing. I'll defer to others on describing the quality of the backcountry roads, as I've never driven them.