The Wave...

The Wave is in the north section of Coyote Buttes, between Paria Canyon and Vermillion Cliffs National Monument on the border of Utah and Arizona. The Wave’s popularity caused the BLM to limit 20 people per day into the area done by a lottery system. Getting the required permit can be tricky, but I was lucky enough to receive a permit on my first attempt. Half the daily permits are issued by a lottery system which you can apply four months in advance for. The other 10 permits are given to walk-ins at the GSENM Visitor Center in Kanab for the following day.

2D5A4092.jpg
Most people access the Wave from the Wire Pass Trailhead located in North Coyote Buttes permit area of the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument. The trail consists primarily of sand and red rock, and aside from the harsh desert heat and dry conditions, the 5.2-mile round trip hike is considered a moderate trail.

2D5A4135.jpg

I haven’t been to any place in the world as remarkable, serene, and uniquely beautiful as this site. The privacy and exclusivity of this site makes it all the better.

2D5A4143.jpg
The scenery is amazing the whole hike but pales in comparison to the wave itself. To stand in something so beautiful and to be virtually alone is priceless. The only word that came to mind was wow!

2D5A4083.jpg
Who knows if I'll ever get lucky enough to go back, but I definitely will try again. There was so much more I wanted to see and photograph.

2D5A4144_1.jpg
SteveCochranePhotography.com

Attachments

• 2D5A4092.jpg
    2D5A4092.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2D5A4135.jpg
    2D5A4135.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2D5A4143.jpg
    2D5A4143.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 6
Great shots. Every time I play the lottery for the wave, I lose.

Beautiful. Definitely an area where it's good to have a contingency if you go there relying on getting a walk-in permit. Thankfully there's many other things to see and shoot nearby if you don't get a permit.

Beautiful. Definitely an area where it's good to have a contingency if you go there relying on getting a walk-in permit. Thankfully there's many other things to see and shoot nearby if you don't get a permit.
And that's what I've done each time I "lost".

Yeah the area has so much to see. I did the Wire Pass into Buckskin Gulch. I will post pictures later of that trip.

I got it my first attempt, but I've trying the last 5 years for the half dome Yosemite permit. sometimes we get lucky

The time I did Half Dome, we went late enough in the day there was no one checking permits by the time we got there. We did barely get back to the car before dark though.