The value of the various Guess the Spot threads

I read about this a few days ago. Super cool, and clearly a useful (albeit somewhat niche) skill. And I wish he didn't feel the need to call it a "weird" hobby. Nothing weird about it! I'd think weird applies more to things like collecting cat poop or something.

I have gotten significantly better at identifying places in photos thanks to participating in those threads over the past several years.

I read about this a few days ago. Super cool, and clearly a useful (albeit somewhat niche) skill. And I wish he didn't feel the need to call it a "weird" hobby. Nothing weird about it! I'd think weird applies more to things like collecting cat poop or something.

I have gotten significantly better at identifying places in photos thanks to participating in those threads over the past several years.
It's no weirder than crossword puzzles as a hobby, in my opinion. Guess the Spot is based on geography, and crosswords are based on geometry and spelling, but they're both basically just variants of puzzles.