The Maze

Aldaron

I've spent entirely too much time trying to find the coordinates for Lou's Spring and Clell's Spring in the Fins area of the Maze. Does anyone know those coordinates? @IntrepidXJ I think I saw a trip report in my searches that said you had been to Lou's. Do you have coordinates for it?

I've spent entirely too much time trying to find the coordinates for Lou's Spring and Clell's Spring in the Fins area of the Maze. Does anyone know those coordinates? @IntrepidXJ I think I saw a trip report in my searches that said you had been to Lou's. Do you have coordinates for it?

Lou's Spring is approx here: N38° 8'11.60" W110° 3'41.35"

Here's Clell's Spring info:

38° 7' 59.45" N 110° 2' 9.73" W

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/33252196

33252196.jpg

- JG

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! I should have asked before I spent an hour looking...

I have a maze super map. I'm afk at the moment but will post later.

I'm a noob to this great looking group. I've got a permit for a week solo in the Maze in May and this is the first thread I've stumbled on looking for beta. If your map is still available, it would be much appreciated. Cheers from the UK!

Welcome to BCP @Midatlantic! I posted that map in at least one or two other threads. I can dig it up when I'm back at my desk, but you'll find it and a lot more by searching through the various maze trip reports and planning threads. This link will get you started: http://backcountrypost.com/tags/the-maze/

And this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:backcountrypost.com+the+maze&oq=site:backcountrypost.com+the+maze&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.3575j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

And this 3-part series TR from my second trip out there: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/the-maze-spanish-bottom-to-water-canyon.903/

Really appreciate the quick reply @Nick - and in the middle of the Super Bowl no less! Will check out the links you supplied.

I have a gpx route we did posted in the resources section here on BCP

Got it @Bob. You guys are great. Thanks for the tip on gas for the drive in. How far will a stock 2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road get me?

Reactions: Bob
Got it @Bob. You guys are great. Thanks for the tip on gas for the drive in. How far will a stock 2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road get me?
Maybe not as far as my Nissan Frontier ...... hehe :)

But, if you can drive it right, pretty much everywhere in Canyonlands....maybe not out Bobby's Hole.

Maybe not as far as my Nissan Frontier ...... hehe :)

True dat. Normally I've got a popup camper on it, but plan to remove it for this trip since it's only me.

But, if you can drive it right, pretty much everywhere in Canyonlands....maybe not out Bobby's Hole.

Nice to know. Thanks.

Just a note that if you want to get into the Fins with less 4wd, you can leave the truck at the top of the Golden Stairs, which is a pretty spectacular hike anyway, see some pics and details here. http://blog.regehr.org/archives/499

I came across your trip report via google - very nice - and thought about leaving the truck up top. Not exactly sure where the Golden Stairs are though, but assume beyond the China Neck.

Not exactly sure where the Golden Stairs are though, but assume beyond the China Neck.

Exactly, but I think the park service calls the campground located right at the China Neck the Golden Stairs Campground. The key to this route is finding the Flint Trail switchbacks in good condition, at which point basically everything is easy.

Exactly, but I think the park service calls the campground located right at the China Neck the Golden Stairs Campground. The key to this route is finding the Flint Trail switchbacks in good condition, at which point basically everything is easy.
Ah, I get it now - thanks. The NPS map does show Golden Stairs campground at the top of a trail, while google maps labels the end of NP787 with China Neck but not Golden Stairs. Presumably the Flint Trail switchbacks in good condition is needed to drive, not walk, them.

I read somewhere that the NPS removed the Ernie's Country trails from their map (for some reason).

I've never had the nerve to brave the switchbacks...I have always gone in from Hite. It's a little longer, but not nearly as nerve-wracking.