The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route)

Devin Ashby

Don't Bust The Crust!
Hey all! I am planning a trip for October that i've wanted to do for some time, but I am just looking for some more information that what I am able to find online. I am looking at a route that I found via Road Trip Ryan, which is starting at the Lower Gulch TH off the Burr Trail road and walking all the way to the Escalante river, then down river to horse canyon, up horse canyon and exit via a "cattle trail" between LDH and Wolverine canyon. Then going cross country from Horse back over to the Gulch and to the car.

Has anyone actually done this route as defined on RTR's report? Would love some additional info on the bypass that is discussed in the narrow section, what the cattle trail exit is like and navigation across the top of the plateau. The plan would be to get as close to the Escalante as possible for night 1, then night 2 would be up horse canyon, or possibly, depending on water accessibility, dry camp on top.

Thoughts anyone?

RTR Report: https://www.roadtripryan.com/go/t/utah/escalante/the-gulch

sounds real similar to, if not identical to, a route described in Allen 3. that's where I'd go, Allen always gives you enough information to make the route go.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to be cryptic. I think it's fair to say that everyone doing serious hikes in S Utah should have the four Allen books, though except for the newish "northern Swell" one, they're getting somewhat dated at this point. I've heard that the SAR people say that the Kelsey books get people lost and the Allen books get them found. His descriptions of routes really are the polar opposite of Kelsey's.

When going down The Gulch, pay extra attention to the exit, and entrance to bypass the large pour off.

Two nights for this trip is very ambitious. From Lower Gulch TH to the river are 12 miles.
RTR’s and Allen’s loop are nearly the same.

I’ve canceled that loop last week - there is no water in the Lower Gulch till Kelly’s cabin.

Good luck![emoji106]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Lol..... All guides can get people lost that can't hike without them.....never had a problem with Kelsey's other than his hike times are usually wrong

Two nights for this trip is very ambitious. From Lower Gulch TH to the river are 12 miles.
RTR’s and Allen’s loop are nearly the same.

I’ve canceled that loop last week - there is no water in the Lower Gulch till Kelly’s cabin.

Good luck![emoji106]

At this point from getting info from rangers and others, this route is a no go. I am being told that it's a cattle zoo and pretty trashed. Gonna head somewhere else.

Very good! Not many people would say this with a straight face.
And.... I don't use guidebooks as a exclusive source....they are one of many for me to gather Intel on places to travel. ....

At this point from getting info from rangers and others, this route is a no go. I am being told that it's a cattle zoo and pretty trashed. Gonna head somewhere else.

I wouldn’t say a no go. It’s a beautiful area and at the moment not stinky and cow hammered.