The Hidden Creek Expedition (Dave Edition) Part 2 of 3 August 4th - 5th 2024

TractorDoc

Part Two: Hidden Creek

Just in case you want to read the first installment: Part One: The Approach

When we left the Hidden Creek Seven they were swatting flies and setting up camp part way up Hidden Creek Valley in the Teton Wilderness. Three days of hiking over rugged (some might say sketchy) terrain led them to an outfitter camp near a junction of East/West forks of Hidden Creek.

Day Four: August 4, 2024

The day began like most of the others. @futurafree and I were usually the first ones out of our tents in the morning (I was keeping myself on Eastern Time, Chris probably just gets up early :) ) and we went about our routine of making breakfast and packing up. The rest of the group eventually emerged, prepped, and we hit the trail with gusto. This was going to be an exciting day -- a day that would tell us if we were moving forward or if we were going to have to turn around and retrace our steps.

I kept up with Chris and Brent for a short time but they eventually left me in their dust. Kids always seem to be on their cell phones these days.

0O7A4588.JPG

The early going was in the trees and woodsy, but eventually the trail dumped us out alongside Hidden Creek.

0O7A4589.JPG

We crossed the creek -- I was able to keep my boots on and stay dry while some of the group changed footwear.

0O7A4601.JPG

I think @Bob was trying to tell us about the size of the fish he saw when crossing.

0O7A4596.JPG

As we climbed the bank on the opposite side of the creek we were greeted by an expansive meadow scattered with colorful wildflowers. There was a subtle trail present, but you could walk where you wanted and make easy progress.

A look back down valley after crossing the creek.

0O7A4604.JPG

A first look up valley in the big meadow after the creek crossing.

0O7A4610.JPG

I found these thistle plants fascinating. Many a time several bees/pollinators were taking advantage of them.

0O7A4613.JPG

Moving up the valley. We would find a path thru/around the trees in the center.

0O7A4617.JPG

Another look back down the first big meadow.

0O7A4621.JPG

The trail was more obvious in higher/dryer spots.

0O7A4631.JPG

I call this picture "Staggered Hikers on the Trail." It takes a lot of patience, strategy, and timing to get four photogenic backpackers to line up just right.

0O7A4632.JPG

Chris and Brent had cruised ahead as usual, but kindly waited for the group at a snack/lunch break. At this moment I believe @wsp_scott is telling the group about the time he held the whole world in his hand. :D

0O7A4650.JPG

The more I look at that last picture it reminds me of some of my family get togethers. One person is talking. Another is looking for something to eat. Someone is thinking about how many pictures they have taken. One guy is wondering how he is grouped up with this bunch of characters. Another fella is looking forward at what is to come, while the other may be looking back to where we have been. Everyone might be in their own little world. I'll let you decide who is doing what. ;)

During our lunch break Scott wandered down to the creek for a different view. I followed him and took this picture.

0O7A4640.JPG

Random flower picture time. Sometimes I know the names, this one I do not.

0O7A4655A.jpg

Group shot in Hidden Creek Valley. Chis and I must have overlooked the "everyone wear a variant of the color tan" suggestion in the pre-trip PMs.

0O7A4653A.jpg

A couple more pictures of the up-valley view as we searched for the ideal campsite.

0O7A4664.JPG

0O7A4665.JPG

One of our first decent views of the large waterfall at the head of Hidden Creek. We were still a long way off, but the group was getting the sense that moving beyond those vertical cliffs might be a challenge.

0O7A4673A.jpg

We found a nice spot at the end of the upper meadow to set up camp.

0O7A4685.JPG

Home for the night. I enjoy being greeted by lupines in the morning.

0O7A4683.JPG

Shortly after setting up camp some dark clouds rolled in and doused us with a solid rain shower. Most of the group sheltered in their tents but I put on my rain jacket and wandered around camp.

Day4CP3.jpg

It was during that time that I found this exquisite piece of petrified wood.

GOPR1182.JPG

I also admired the numerous stands of yellow/green paintbrush in the area.

0O7A4691.JPG

Just as quick as the rain blew in it blew out. Sunny skies looking down valley from camp.

0O7A4701.JPG

Under freshly sunny skies some of us decided to take a hike farther up valley to get a better view of the big waterfall. This would be off trail/over downfall/thru the creek/thru brushy undergrowth type hiking -- something I was acclimated to being on past @scatman adventures. Bob and Brent decided to stay behind and guard camp -- a decision @Bob may have made having been on past @scatman adventures.

Random wildflower picture time. This paintbrush had a near neon glow in the afternoon sun.

0O7A4704.JPG

Looking back at camp as we moved into the willows.

0O7A4706.JPG

This might be what Hugh calls a police car moth.

0O7A4707.JPG

The sun was getting low in front of us, meaning that getting a good picture of the falls would be a challenge.

0O7A4715.JPG

As we moved upstream and thru the brush it was clear an avalanche had pushed a number of trees over and progress would be difficult. I thought we might be getting close as I was seeing the mist of the falls at this spot. It was also the first sighting of the interesting erosional remnant at center right.

0O7A4721.JPG

Along the way I noticed this interesting flower -- I do not know what it is and it was the only one of its type I noticed on the trip. Similar to an Elephant Head flower, but not.

0O7A4719.JPG

Hugh had this picture in his report. I had visions of the opening scenes of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" as we walked below the large boulder.

0O7A4725.JPG

Around this area Scott, Chris, and @Georgia Yankee decided they had seen enough and turned back towards camp. Hugh and I were not so easily deterred though and we continued up some unstable and steep terrain towards the falls.

A better view of the erosional remnant. I thought of naming it after one of the Hidden Creek Seven. Bob's Belfry? Spire of Stark? Scatman's Steeple? Chris's Column? Scott's Stanchion? Buttress of Jim? (Not many vertical "J" words out there.) Then again, maybe erosional remnant is sufficient.

0O7A4727.JPG

Hugh quickly scampered up the steep slopes guarding the falls. I followed to a point, but after climbing so high my dislike of heights (and the idea of falling to my death) slowed and eventually stopped my progress. This was the view from where I decided to stop near the base of a vertical cliff wall.

0O7A4734A.jpg

I waited here while Hugh continued onward and upward. His determination and backcountry prowess eventually let him to a view of the falls. He told me that to get there he had to walk a narrow ledge -- a fall from which would be fatal. I felt a little better about stopping after hearing that. He has some pictures of the falls/terrain in his trip report if you'd like to see them: Hugh's Hidden Creek Trip Report

The walk back down the slope was steep but we managed to stay on our feet. Well, one of us did. At least he was not on that narrow ledge.

Day4CP1.jpg

Back on (somewhat?) level ground.

0O7A4737.JPG

The lower hillside was covered in wildflowers.

0O7A4739.JPG

Columbines could be found in this area.

0O7A4740A.jpg Day4CP2.jpg

The sun was hiding behind some clouds on the way back, so I was able to zoom a little better on the waterfall.

0O7A4746.JPG

Pollinators were everywhere during this trip but were often flighty and difficult to get a picture of. I managed to get one or two. . .

0O7A4747.JPG

Elephant Head Flower.

0O7A4749.JPG

Upon return to camp I emptied my pockets and was disheartened to find out my bear spray was missing. It fits nicely in a side/leg pocket of my pants and it must have dropped/been pulled out as Hugh and I were walking thru thick brush on the way back from the falls. It was getting a little late in the day to try and find it this evening; more clouds were building anyway and it was time for dinner before the rain started. I joined the rest of the group a bit disappointed in myself that I did not catch how/when the spray went missing.

The rain did come as we were eating dinner. I was focused on staying dry/eating supper and did not worry about taking pictures. I was amused by the sight of Bob running with intent towards and into a nearby pine tree in an attempt to stay dry under the branches. It was a thick tree and you would never know he was in there until the rain stopped and he popped out much like a Keebler Elf would with a batch of cookies.

I'm not sure if it was officially declared at dinner, but by this time the group had conceded to this trip being and out and back adventure vs. continuing up the steep slopes at the head of the valley to attempt a ridge walk loop. This served up some disappointment, but perhaps with a thin slice of relief on the side.

After the clouds/rain the skies cleared in the evening. I strategically placed several rocks outside my tent to act as a tripod -- I wanted to attempt a few night sky/star pictures. Without my bear spray I was reluctant to wander far out in the valley to take pictures in the middle of the night, so I simply took a few without getting out of my tent.

0O7A4763.JPG

Day Five: August 5, 2024

Today we would hike back down the valley, pass the outfitter camp, and aim to camp near Thorofare Creek. I (and Chris!) were up early again and I enjoyed watching the sun illuminate the valley.

0O7A4784A.jpg

I even made a time lapse video if you are interested in that sort of thing.

The loss of my bear spray was still weighing heavy on my mind, so I spent part of the morning backtracking the route Hugh and took the day before towards the waterfall. Hugh was kind enough to lend me his bear spray during my search. I was able to follow our path accurately looking at the pushed over grass and the tracking app on the phone. I optimistically looked around every log I stepped over and near every grabby branch that swiped at my leg.

My search turned out to be a fool's errand. I walked about half the distance up to the falls, but knew I needed to turn around as we would be hiking out soon. I had also encountered several piles of what I considered to be very fresh bear scat on my path. No need to encounter the source while I was on my own.

Day5CP1.jpg

Jim - @Georgia Yankee - would be heading down valley first this morning. He had plans of continuing up Thorofare Creek and over Majo Pass. You can read more about his adventures in his trip report: Georgia Yankee's Trip Report

Brent, Hugh, Bob, and I soon followed while Scott and Chris savored the hiddenness a little longer. The views heading down valley probably look similar to the views heading up, but maybe with different lighting. I will try to keep the picture redundancy to a minimum.

A look back towards the falls, hiding in the shadows.

0O7A4787.JPG

Looking the direction we were walking.

0O7A4798.JPG

One more look at the upper reaches of the East Fork of Hidden Creek Canyon. I tried to stare at this scene for 30 seconds or so to burn the image into my brain -- my photographic memory is getting fuzzier as I get older though.

0O7A4803.JPG

At times I have mentioned the presence of biting flies during our journey. They had thinned out in upper Hidden Creek Canyon, but as we walked down valley the big horseflies returned in numbers.

@Bob was determined to get away from them.

aswarm2.jpg

At one point we almost lost him.

abigflyinsky.jpg

If I am being honest, I may have utilized some creative license in those previous images. Bob was very determined in his crossing of Hidden Creek though. Hugh was too.

0O7A4812A.jpg 0O7A4814.JPG

Random flower picture time. Monk's Hood.

0O7A4820.JPG

Crossing the last stretch of meadow before ducking into the trees as we head towards the outfitter camp.

0O7A4821.JPG

I am not sure if it was due to a different time of the day/lighting, but this little valley looked more scenic on the way back than it did going up. Maybe it was because we were hiking downhill instead of uphill.

0O7A4827A.jpg

0O7A4829A.jpg

@b.stark and I were the first ones to hike down that little valley and we noticed a cairn sitting trailside on a log. It is possible that it was there on the way up, but I did not remember it. This irritated Mr. Stark so he gave the cairn a swift kick with his boot and it was no more. (Irritated may be an exaggeration, mildly amused might be more appropriate.)

A short distance later and what is this? Another cairn?

0O7A4832.JPG

There is no way I would have missed two cairns. These shenanigans were no doubt the work of one @Georgia Yankee . The piece of petrified wood on top was the giveaway on this one. This made Mr. Stark angry. You don't want to see him when he is angry. :)

0O7A4833.JPG

We encountered a third cairn, but by that time we felt like we were depriving the rest of the group an experience if they did not see one, so we left it. Rumor has it Bob saw it, but the others may not have noticed.

The hike down the hillside provided a nice view of Thorofare Creek Valley with a Thorofare Butte in the background.

0O7A4843A.jpg

We made it back to the bank of Thorofare Creek by early afternoon; plenty enough time to simply sit and enjoy our surroundings. I brought out my water bottle to take a picture for the "BCP Swag in the Wild" thread, but my writing had worn off. The cairn seemed appropriate on this day though.

Day5CP2.jpg

We sat on the bank and watched the clouds put on a show over Petrified Ridge to our North. I made an attempt at another time lapse video -- not my best work but worth a quick watch.

This next picture is one of my favorites from the trip though.

0O7A4869A.jpg

It sure would be nice to take a hike up on top of that ridge. :)

Tent city and home for the night near Thorofare Creek.

0O7A4881.JPG 0O7A4855.JPG

Hugh and I are waiting on dinner to cook while Bob tries to figure out what he will be eating.

0O7A4878.JPGDay5CP3.jpg

Clouds thickened over the afternoon and would develop into rain/thunder/lightning later that night.

Day5CP4.jpg

But not before most of the group sat creek side and enjoyed our surroundings until sunset.

0O7A4883.JPG

Day Four and Five Data Tracks for those that like the numbers. Day Four includes the walk towards the waterfall and the elevation spike is Hugh and I's trip to the falls. Distance was 4.5 miles from the outfitter camp to our Hidden Creek camp.

Day4Track.jpg Day5Track.jpg

That brings Part Two to a close. The Expedition took a different turn than expected (a 180 degree turn!), but it was difficult to be disappointed sitting on the bank of Thorofare Creek on a perfect August afternoon. Part Three will cover the return to the trailhead and some excitement off the trail. Yes, we will be retracing the path covered in Part One but it will be different, I promise!

Attachments

• 0O7A4686A.jpg
    0O7A4686A.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 1
To funny

The image of @scatman scampering anywhere has got to be a sight to behold!
Ah yes, the Scatman Scamper. It is something more people need to see.

With any luck he will add this move to his dance routine right after he is done doing the sprinkler. Cht. . . Cht. . . Cht. . . Cht. . . Cht.Cht.Cht.Cht. :)

The pics of Hidden Creek valley remind me that it was more than worth it as an out-and-back. And the pic of Bob with the horse flies is not an exaggeration.
Yes and Yes.

Those flies chasing Bob are pretty close to the size of the one that attacked my nether regions.
And thus the founding of the BBB. :lol:

Great Part II Dave! Bob was clearly the star of the show in this segment.

The Scampering Scat sounds like a good name for a brewpub. Hidden Falls Porter could be at the top of the beer list served there. Or perhaps No Way Over Stout would be the best seller?

You are definitely a petrified wood magnet. And don't think I don't know what you are trying to do with another picture of Petrified Ridge. :)

I'm a little nervous about Part III.

I had forgotten about the cairns... Hope you got them all!
Shenanigans!

Great Part II Dave! Bob was clearly the star of the show in this segment.
Clearly. Place Bob at a water crossing and some interesting things are about to happen.

The Scampering Scat sounds like a good name for a brewpub. Hidden Falls Porter could be at the top of the beer list served there. Or perhaps No Way Over Stout would be the best seller?
Put a Cliffhanger Cerveza on tap and you might as well open me a tab.

I don't know what you are trying to do with another picture of Petrified Ridge.
We will see the view from the top one day. :thumbsup:

I'm a little nervous about Part III.
What could you possibly have done in Part III that will be worth mentioning? :thinking:

:)

Back