The Gulch with a dog?

la_alpinista

I am planning a week-long backpack with my dog. I'm thinking to do the Boulder Mail Trail, then along the Escalante (with side trips), then out either The Gulch or Harris Wash. Can anybody tell me how these trails would be with a dog? Zorba is an experienced backpacker and scrambler, but he's getting a bit older so I don't want to take him on anything too strenuous. At 30 lbs, he is haul-able, but I wouldn't want to do that more than once or twice on the whole trip.

Thanks!
Cathy

He said The Gulch, not Coyote Gulch :)

The part of The Gulch I did last year was easy wash hiking, but I didn't go down all the way to the Escalante.

Dogs would have no problem with any of that stuff. The only possible tricky spot would be dropping into the slot in The Gulch. It was flooding when I was there, so it wasn't even an option. I'm not sure how hard it is in normal conditions. Maybe @Jammer does? But yeah, other than that, it's all just walking, no need to haul the dog through any of that.

I frequently underestimate what dogs can do -- but I don't think you'd have a problem in any of those areas. Getting UP the slot in the Lower Gulch would be really hard for humans or dogs -- but there is a longish bypass on the west side that shouldn't be a problem for either. You could also go up Boulder Creek to the narrows and then cross the saddle to the Gulch and thus skip the lower end of the Gulch.

Do dogs do OK crossing swift water? Extended walks on slickrock?

Do dogs do OK crossing swift water? Extended walks on slickrock?

Swift water can be tricky, but they get through pretty good in my experience. Sometimes a little further downstream than intended, but they get through. This was on the Escalante near Sand Creek during some high spring runoff. If it's something I can walk through, it wouldn't worry me dragging a pup through. With that in mind, the middle Escalante can be pretty bad in the spring when the runoff hits, for humans and dogs.

5483869481_959c9df0bb_z.jpg

Just in case someone else comes looking at this thread, I'll weigh in.

Solo, with a dog, there is no safe way down that section of canyon drop off. If you have a dog that is comfortable being picked up and passed down, it would still be a little difficult.

I scoped the bypass, but didn't know enough about it to try. Nemesis created. Need to go back.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Janice Coyote Gulch Plus... Trip Planning 21
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
regehr Maybird Gulch bridge is broken Hiking & Camping 4
RyanP Grand Gulch last-minute questions Trip Planning 14
fiber Lower Grand Gulch Pour-off Trip Planning 9
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
XID_AZ Coyote Gulch Northish Side Canyons Trip Planning 0
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 3 - Buckskin Gulch Hiking & Camping 3
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
XID_AZ Willow Gulch from Hole in the Rock Trip Planning 4
D Springs in Grand Gulch 2022 Trip Planning 21
D Grand Gulch Shuttle Trip Planning 4
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 17
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
A Coyote Gulch crowds? Trip Planning 0
C Coyote Gulch via Chimney rock trail Trip Planning 0
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
Outdoors24 Willow/Davis Gulch Packrafting Backpacking 6
J Grand Gulch (Kane to Bullet) Water Availability Trip Planning 9
J Trip first week of April 2021 Southern UT/Anywhere AZ - Death Hollow, Coyote Gulch, or other suggestions? Trip Planning 9
D Coyote Gulch to Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
gnwatts Grand Gulch, 11-13-20 Backpacking 30
gnwatts Grand Gulch water Trip Planning 6
D Coyote Gulch additional parking Trip Planning 3
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
chandlerwest Buckskin Gulch - What a Unique Experience Hiking & Camping 5
F Coyote Gulch via Dry Fork? Trip Planning 2
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
J Paria Canyon-Vermillion Cliffs Wilderness, UT-AZ Backpack: April 26-29, 2019: Day 1 Buckskin Gulch Backpacking 2
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 2 - Todie to Sheiks loop Hiking & Camping 9
fossana Grand Gulch Pt 1 - Slickhorn 3rd to Trail Fork loop Hiking & Camping 6
Jon Carbaugh A Leisurely Stroll Through Coyote Gulch Backpacking 11
J Who's done Steep Creek Canyon off Boulder Mtn folows into the Gulch at the Burr Trail? Trip Planning 3
DrNed Coyote Gulch Pit Toilet Trip Planning 14
piper01 The Upper Gulch and Egg Canyon, GSENM Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking Coyote Gulch, 3 Days, 2 Nights- October 2018 Backpacking 2
dakoolme Buckskin Gulch or ??? Trip Planning 1
Devin Ashby The Gulch to Horse Canyon Loop - From Burr Trail Trip Planning 5
Brian Dickson Buckskin Gulch conditions? Trip Planning 7
P Info for The Gulch to Horse Canyon Loop. (canyoneering 3 # 32) Trip Planning 11
WasatchWill Willow Meets Willow Gulch Backpacking 21
WasatchWill Pleasant Creek to Sheets Gulch: From Failure to Success Backpacking 12
J Dayhikes GSENM, Cap Reef, Behind the Rocks: Deer Cr, Tanks, Sheets Gulch, Moab Rim Apr. 4 to 8, 2018 Hiking & Camping 0
stevecochranephotography Wire Pass Trail - Buckskin Gulch, Utah Hiking & Camping 1
George_Washington_Hayduke Twilight Canyon- Cottonwood Gulch- Llewellyn Gulch- 8 Days Backpacking/Packrafting Backpacking 15
P Grand Gulch Water/Alternative Trip Trip Planning 3
cjhaines Coyote Gulch Trailhead Trip Planning 2
SKLund Bears Ears: Jamming Government to Gulch Backpacking 1