The Avenues Twin Peaks - October 5, 2024

scatman

Since my Specimen Creek trip to Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago, which was supposed to be my last backpacking trip for the year, I've just been sitting around getting fat and happy. Well, I ended up getting an invite from @Ugly to join him down south for two nights this coming weekend, so I had to get my fat arse of the couch and do a hike so that I wouldn't be embarrassed in the desert heat starting Friday. Unfortunately, I couldn't do a longer hike because I had a train to catch to Ogden to meet some friends for Beer Night at Rooster's Brewery.

Now you've all seen this hike before, but I can't help it because that is just the way I roll. So if everyone is sick of my foothill follies, I'll stop making reports on them.

It was another hot day in Salt Lake, at least hot for October, with temps in the mid-80's. The twin peaks are pretty exposed, so I was feeling it as I made my way up the ridge of the south twin. I stopped to take a picture about halfway up and found myself to be little light-headed for some reason. Anyway, I enjoy this time of year in the foothills, where the grass has turned golden, and I've learned to better appreciate the dried out browns this time of year brings just above the city along with any reds and yellows that might still be present.

01.jpg
The old Jeep got a spin today

02.jpg
Ran into a few asters along the way

03.jpg
The south twin above. I'll be heading straight up the ridge this time. It is usually the way I come
down when I summit the twins

04.jpg
You can see the Bonneville Shoreline Trail at the base of the south twin, and if you look closely you can see the trail that I will take
to the top.

05.jpg
It a steep ascent when taking the ridgeline. It's roughly a 700 foot climb in 0.3 miles.

06.jpg
Dalmatian toadflax

07.jpg
Thistle, grass and rock

08.jpg
As you get closer to the top there are some nice rock outcrops

09.jpg
Mat rock-speria

10.jpg
Brittle prickly pear

11.jpg
Nearing the summit

12.jpg
Aster? Fleabane?

13.jpg
A murder of crows awaits me at the top?

14.jpg
Looking over at the north summit with the Dude Benchmark beyond

15.jpg
Black Mountain

16.jpg
Zoomed in on Ensign Peak which is 2.5 miles as the crow flies to the west of the twins. It looks like there are people up top on
Ensign, with the Salt Lake International Airport beyond and a Southwest Airlines jet on the taxiway.

20.jpg
Zoomed in the old airplane beacon on Mount Wire which is another one of my favorite foothill hikes. Mount Wire (Beacon Hill) is
approximately 2.8 miles to the southeast of the twins as the crow flies

17.jpg
Goldenaster

18.jpg
A dried out thistle

19.jpg
More thistle, with City Creek Canyon beyond

21.jpg
Heading up the north twin now. A man and his dog lead the way.

22.jpg
A look back at the north side of the south twin

23.jpg
24.jpg
The Dude Benchmark on the north ridge of City Creek Canyon

25.jpg
Zoomed in on the Sessions Mountains to the north

26.jpg
Time to head back down. Normally this is my route up.

27.jpg
Love the golden grass

28.jpg
Backside look at the north twin

29.jpg
The reds are way past there prime for the most part

30.jpg
Some nice color on the fallen leaves in the trail

31.jpg
The one exception was this maple in a stand of scrub oak

32.jpg
Rounding the west side of the south twin

33b.jpg
34.jpg
Ran into 15 wild turkeys on my way down. Unfortunately, I ran out of space on my 1 GB SD card so I had to delete a couple of
previous shots to get these two shots of the turkeys, otherwise I would have taken many more of them before they scurried away. :(

I made it back to the Jeep and hurried home so that I could head to Ogden's historic 25th Street for dinner and a drink. Our group has a "Beer Night" about once every three months at a brewery somewhere in northern Utah. This time we chose Rooster's located on 25th Street.

IMG_1411.JPG
A wonderful Junction City Chocolate Stout to go with . . . . . . . . . . .

IMG_1414.JPG
Pepper jack turkey enchiladas with black beans and rice. The enchiladas were delicious! Highly recommended.

Always a great time spending time with friends.

The End.

Last edited:
I think the enchiladas and beans are the best preparation of all.
You will probably want more than 1 gig card too...

nice!!

but, Scat, the move is just to tell people you hiked the Twin Peaks. then when they ask if you mean the American Fork Twins or the Broads Fork Twins you just keep quiet and look mysterious.

nice!!

but, Scat, the move is just to tell people you hiked the Twin Peaks. then when they ask if you mean the American Fork Twins or the Broads Fork Twins you just keep quiet and look mysterious.

I wish the report had been about Broads Fork Twins. That one might be just out of my wheelhouse now. :(

Other AI related instances can be found... potentially undermining the so-called good faith of well-meaning people, and even my own misinformation effect and memory bias.
These are surely not real.
Kolob 2024 -08955.jpg

zooming in
Kolob 2024 -089551.jpg

and another example :oops:
Kolob 2024 -08569.jpg

They lend to the incredulity of other supposed situational referenced material.
IMG_0350.jpg
Even with the correct attire.

Back