Texas Pass (Winds) in late July

RyanP

I'm considering doing the Texas Pass loop in the Winds in two weeks (big Sandy TH to Shadow lake to Texas Pass to Cirque to...), and was hoping to quiz the bcp community:

1. For Texas pass in late July this year, I should bring which of the following:
A) Crampons + ice axe
B) Microspikes + ice axe
C) Ice axe only
D) None of the above needed---hiking poles alone should be sufficient
E) Too dangerous to attempt solo even with equipment

2. What direction and time of day would be ideal for Texas pass in late July this year?

3. Should I bring snow/winter gaiters? (Not just for Texas pass, but for this trip in general).

I was tentatively planning on doing the loop clockwise, ascending the North side of Texas pass in the mid-morning, and bringing microspikes and an axe (but just my trail runners and summer gaiters, along with bread bags). I just bought my axe a few weeks ago, but have been out a couple of times to practice with it on slopes with similar angle (30 degrees or a little more---if Texas pass is much more than that, please let me know!). But I'm interested in hearing your input!

(Note: I am currently on a camping trip and have almost no reception, so I won't be able to respond to this thread for a while. I will be leaving on my winds backpacking trip right when I get home, though, so I appreciate any feedback!)

Last edited:
Did that exact loop last year, but in September. I'd check with the GOS in Pinedale before you leave. Latest report shows Jackass Pass isn't bad. Texas holds more snow and has a good incline but still class 2. My guess is microspikes+poles, but check with GOS to be sure. I always make sure to be off passes by early afternoon, certainly during the summer. Shadow is an easy hike from the trailhead. Great camping. FWIW I always use midweight GTX+summer gaitors, but so many use trail runners successfully that it's unlikely to be any different. Maybe I'll see the light and switch at some point but I like warm feet up there in late September.

I've been wondering about Texas as well as Washakie and the other one (name escaping my mind right now, I know it's a female name). Every time I call the rangers or the outdoor shops I get conflicting reports.

I've been wondering about Texas as well as Washakie and the other one (name escaping my mind right now, I know it's a female name). Every time I call the rangers or the outdoor shops I get conflicting reports.
Hailey?

(NOT making a jackass joke here :))

On a side note about the winds - Does anyone know where I get off the Pyramid Lake trail to get up into the Desolation Valley Lakesbelow Raid Peak and Mount Bonneville? From my topo it's hard to tell exactly where to exit the trail. It looks like if you're up at Pyramid Lake you can side skirt the basin but you will be downclimbing to get into Desolation or do I need to access that area from the Continental Divide Trail all the way at the bottom of the valley and hike my way up?

Would highly recommend crossing over north of Midsummer Dome. After that, staying high/east through the basin nets the easiest travel IIRC. when you get there it should be fairly intuitive.

Would highly recommend crossing over north of Midsummer Dome. After that, staying high/east through the basin nets the easiest travel IIRC. when you get there it should be fairly intuitive.
Better yet, I would recommend climbing up the south face of the Dome and then walking over the Dome top to the north. it is a way-pleasant climb but gear needed. :)

Last edited:
@OldBill ... did you build that map of Nancy's routes from the book by hand?

The map is a link to someone's Caltopo map (1JVK), and is not from Nancy's book. It covers many of the trails/routes in the region. I also referenced the route # from the book for the specific area. Caltopo is a great resource, but having Nancy's book is even more helpful. Just happened to be looking at these for a possible 4 day route from Scab Creek to East Fork and to Cirque via Texas and Jackass.

Last edited:
The map is a link to someone's Caltopo map (1JVK), and is not from Nancy's book. It covers many of the trails/routes in the region. I also referenced the route # from the book for the specific area. Caltopo is a great resource, but having Nancy's book is even more helpful. Just happened to be looking at these for a possible 4 day route from Scab Creek to East Fork and to Cirque via Texas and Jackass.
Oh, I see. I misunderstood. It would be nice to have all her routes on one map. The book is the bible for the Winds AFAIC and she includes routes hand drawn in on topo maps. That is just the cost of entry though. Moving those to your own GPS map. Thanks for the info.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood. It would be nice to have all her routes on one map. The book is the bible for the Winds AFAIC and she includes routes hand drawn in on topo maps. That is just the cost of entry though. Moving those to your own GPS map. Thanks for the info.
I have them all on a hard copy map.... And scanned on CD...

I have them all on a hard copy map.... And scanned on CD...
Do you mean on paper? Wild! :) Yeah I have her CD too which you can buy with the book. Have you read of her posting any more TR's recently?

Do you mean on paper? Wild! :) Yeah I have her CD too which you can buy with the book. Have you read of her posting any more TR's recently?
Yep.... Hard copy.... I transferred them all to my winds maps...just haven't to anything like caltopo yet.. no new routes outside what I have created

Oldbill. Instead of dropping down to go to Bonneville lake.. . As soon as you get to the saddle by raid peak hang a north thru the minor saddle.... Go down there to Bonneville ... Not a bad scramble saves losing elevation

She posts frequently on High Sierra Topix as Wandering Daisy

Thanks Bob! I may start a new thread on that route at some point. Think 4 days from Scab Creek TH to Big Sandy TH is possible (camps near Raid and Shadow L, then Lizard Head Meadows). My gf did love the Texas Pass loop as a 3 day and it's a great time or car-constrained option.

But that 2000+ ft gain from Scab Creek with a full pack is a rough way to start. When I went to Rainbow a few years ago I got passed by an ATV. He started his hike at the wilderness boundary fresh. Told me "I've done this before".

May send you a PM too - heard rumors of some interesting fishing in that vicinity and didn't want to get too off-topic here.

Reactions: Bob