Teton shuttle help 7/10 ?

genez

mostly lurking
Need help/advice getting from Jenny Lake area to the Tram. I'm not sure exactly where we will be camped yet (probably Gros Ventre) on Saturday 7/9 but we would like to leave my car at the Jenny Lake/String Lake area to pick up on our way out.

Starting Teton Crest from Tram morning of Sunday 7/10 - would like to get on first tram if at all possible which is 9am.

There is 2 of us.

Any help/input/feedback is much appreciated!

If nothing works out for you, there are a few taxi/shuttle services that will take you between the 2 for 20 - 30 bucks/person.

When I did the TCT I hitched it. It was a great decision. Easy and legal. With two of you, you face very little danger from shady characters.

Now you might not make it by 9am, so perhaps it'd make sense to park at JHMR and hitch on the back end.

When do you hike out? I'd give you a ride but i'll be in the middle of a trip that date.

The other 2 are right, you could get a shuttle with Teton Taxi probably for around 70 bucks. Or hitch. A lot of car traffic by Jenny Lake, someone will pick you up. But gettng a ride over to the village will be difficult, since most of those people probably aren't going that way.

When do you hike out? I'd give you a ride but i'll be in the middle of a trip that date.

The other 2 are right, you could get a shuttle with Teton Taxi probably for around 70 bucks. Or hitch. A lot of car traffic by Jenny Lake, someone will pick you up. But gettng a ride over to the village will be difficult, since most of those people probably aren't going that way.
It's really not that bad. Nobody is traveling the whole way between Teton Village and the Visitor's Center, but there are a ton of people traveling various segments of the road. It might take a couple hitches but you won't have to wait long for any of them.

Genez what do snow levels look like in the Tetons right now? Haven't been following Wyoming snowpack...

There isn't much snow left in the Tetons or Absaroka's below 10k. The beartooth plateau is below average as well. You could access most of it last week.. Its also been really freaking hot the last few weeks.

Multiple hitches like that might take half a day or longer. Or maybe you'll get lucky and catch the right person on the first try.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the replies...

There was a a Yellowstone/Tetons thread on here awhile ago and @Chuck the Mauler mentioned some members live up in that area and may have some info on getting from place to place (hitching/ride/taxi)

Sounds like we may have to taxi it early to leave my car at Jenny lake or try hitching or just taxi on our way out since it may take awhile.

We are only doing part of the crest - Tram to Cascade Canyon (Sun-Tues)since we are also doing Garnet Canyon and South/Middle Teton at the last half of the week.
As far as snow - @Joey is on it. I check the Jenny Lake Rangers climbing blog often. Most of the passes/divides still require ice axe and are snowpacked. Looks like Alaska basin has lingering patches from recent photos I have seen. All canyons below 10k are green and look mostly snow free.

I had minimal snow hiking Mt. Sublette last Sunday.

IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
I live just outside of Jackson. As long as your not as big of a posterior orifice as Joey or Chuck.I might be able to shuttle two people EARLY. More if necessary in back of truck. Gonna try and message you my number. Joey, lets have a beer some time man.

Good luck on finding shuttle. We did a similar trip last year and were lucky enough to have @Joey help us out.
One thing about the Tram, we also took it, but next time would not. Its expensive for short ride and when you get to the top. You end up giving all your elevation gain right back as you head down.......the Crest trail is incredible, but next time we willnhike up Granite Canyon.
Check out my Tetons trip report in archives here.
Cheers
IRG

Granite Canyon over Open Canyon. However, I prefer Death Canyon over the other 2 and the tram if given the choice.

Edit: Teton Taxi is in Driggs, ID and a bit more costly if you're doing a Jenny Lake/String Lake shuttle to Teton Village. I used them last year to get from the Bitch Creek drainage TH back to String Lake (5 of us) at a cost of $270 plus tip.

If you can't find a shuttle here, I'd use Teton Mountain Taxi or Cowboy Taxi (307-413-1000)

Last edited:
Geez....................for $270 I'd come down and shuttle from Island Park.... that crazy.
If you guys had called me that time would've only cost you gas.....

Alright - thanks for all the help and advice everyone - looks like we got a ride - which is awesome. :twothumbs:

@Bob , the thought went through our head. I think I tried to contact you through FB. Joey had your number in his phone, which was.....in the van.

Yeah, I did make a couple calls to @Absarokanaut too. I think you talked with the cowboy that was going to let us use his truck until I told him I was from Detroit and 2 of the other guys were from Jersey.

Hey everyone, new on here. I am in the same boat as 'Genez'. Hiking the TCT from the 14-18 (3 guys) but our entry point and exit points seem to make it more difficult to hitch and the shuttle quotes I got were close to $200. Going in on the highway pass (22) at Philips Ridge and exiting Paintbrush Canyon which is where we will leave our car (Jenny Lake visitor center area). We are staying in the Climbers Ranch, we could covers someone's gas and we would be up for dinner the night before if you are interested.

Hey everyone, new on here. I am in the same boat as 'Genez'. Hiking the TCT from the 14-18 (3 guys) but our entry point and exit points seem to make it more difficult to hitch and the shuttle quotes I got were close to $200. Going in on the highway pass (22) at Philips Ridge and exiting Paintbrush Canyon which is where we will leave our car (Jenny Lake visitor center area). We are staying in the Climbers Ranch, we could covers someone's gas and we would be up for dinner the night before if you are interested.

Check here too:
http://bpbasecamp.freeforums.net/thread/2913/teton-crest-trail