Teton Crest Trail permit campsite distance problem

Hi,

I was able to secure a permit for my group on the Teton Crest Trail this August which is great, but the sites were filling up super fast, so I was really scrambling to grab camp sites the day the registration opened up. I "thought" what I was able to secure was fine, but I just noticed that due to a slight variance in name, I actually don't have such a good itin.

I have three nights, first night at lower granite. Second night I thought was at Death Canyon Shelf, but what I actually got was Death Canyon. Third night is at the Outlier camp past Holly Lake. Best I can tell from various maps is this makes a long second day, extremely long like maybe 22 or 23 miles or so.

I have done this kind of mileage before in the High Sierra but would rather keep it a bit lower than 22 miles. Do I have any options at all like getting some kind of site past the shelf that isn't on the permit website so we can shorten the distance a bit the second day? I'm not a rule breaker and certainly won't stay in a site where I am not permitted. This is totally my fault, but it was frantic picking the locations on the website.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas or best wishes ;-)

Thank you.

Made the same mistake last year but was able to go back into the system and get the shelf after all. I would suggest bypassing death canyon and utilizing Alaska basin - permit not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Made the same mistake last year but was able to go back into the system and get the shelf after all. I would suggest bypassing death canyon and utilizing Alaska basin - permit not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh cool thank you! That is good info.

There's also a little scrap of USFS land between Marion Lake and Death Shelf (near Fox Creek Pass). It's kind of high and exposed but, if the weather is nice, you can camp there rather than dropping down into Death Cyn and having to climb back out the next morning. A useful option if you can't make it all the way to Alaska Basin on that day.

There's also a little scrap of USFS land between Marion Lake and Death Shelf (near Fox Creek Pass). It's kind of high and exposed but, if the weather is nice, you can camp there rather than dropping down into Death Cyn and having to climb back out the next morning. A useful option if you can't make it all the way to Alaska Basin on that day.

This is also great information thank you! I'm plenty familiar with the front side of the Tetons, but not the back!

You can drop west at Fox Creek into trees . There is a pond in the park but can be dry. You can go the entire "real" highline (crest) trail from lake of the woods at Yellowstone boundary to Phillips Pass and camp out if the park.... Check resource section under me... For gpx route

You can adjust your reservations at the ranger station when you pick up your bear can and permits. They usually have several cancelations as well as hold spots for walk ins. I had a similar problem. As to the other comments, @Bob mentioned some trees just before you enter back into the park. I recommend that if you can’t change your plans but leave early so you can get it. Alaska Basin seamed to have poor tent sites with bugs but it could be done.

You may also want to check and see if you can adjust your Holly lake site further down the mountain. The lake is beautiful but the sites can be exposed to high winds. The sites lower down have less exposure to the katabatic gusts that come through that part of the canyon.

My Trip Report

Thanks for responding. I will see about adjusting the permit once I arrive. We aren't at Holly Lake but the outlier camp so hopefully that is better.

Also can camp on forest side from hurricane pass.... Space for three.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
A Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Grand Teton Renews Historic Crest Trail General Discussion 9
wabenho Teton Crest Trail - August 2020 Backpacking 13
yoBear2116 Doing a shuttle on the Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 4
P Teton Crest Trail via Coal Creek/Moose Meadow trails Trip Planning 2
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
Brian Bucca Tips for scoring a walk in permit for Teton Crest trail Trip Planning 0
G Teton Crest Trail Itinerary Trip Planning 3
linkin22luke Shuttle for the Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 1
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail - August 2018 Backpacking 6
D Teton Crest Trail questions Trip Planning 6
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail backup plan Trip Planning 5
C Teton Crest Trail - end of August 2018 Trip Planning 0
Cburton Teton Crest Trail Permit Issues - Help! Trip Planning 15
HomerJ Teton Crest Trail - August 2017 Backpacking 13
jkgear Campsite suggestions for Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 18
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail, GTNP - 09/2016 *Pic Heavy!* Backpacking 23
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail September Weather? Trip Planning 4
Joey An 8 Day off trail backpack through the Crest of Grand Teton National Park Backpacking 22
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ...Doug and Anita Tour 2015...final chapter! Backpacking 6
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ..Doug and Anita Tour 2015...part 2 Backpacking 4
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th 2015 Backpacking 21
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th (ish) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Bob Teton Crest Trail Resource Discussions 0
Nickrgough Teton Crest Trail 9/3 - 9/7 Backpacking 8
dgosche Teton Crest July Trip Planning 2
wabenho Teton Crest Questions Trip Planning 9
Caleb Teton Crest Trip 2018 Trip Planning 22
Ben Teton Crest (mostly) loop, june 28 - july 2 Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 40
D Grand Teton Cascade Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Request: Grand Teton Ascent Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Invite Grand Teton NP, October 7th-10th 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4