Teton Crest Trail Itinerary

GoGreen14

Hello,

I will be doing the Teton Crest Trail this August for the first time. We just secured permits today and will be doing a 4 day, 3 night trip with campsites on the Death Canyon Shelf (Night 1), South Forks (Night 2), and Lower Paintbrush (Night 3).

My question: Is it feasible to make the trek from South Fork to Lower Paintbrush in a day? (Our preferred sites of Holly Lake or Upper Paintbrush were all unavailable). Or should we try to snag walk-up permits instead?

For reference, our group is young and in good shape. However, we will be coming from the Midwest and plan on arriving a couple days early to get acclimatized.

Thanks in advance!

I saw your post when I was about to post my own question. I will be hiking the TCT in August as well, towards the end of the month. Also for the first time. I am afraid that I don't have much wisdom to share. We will be 4 nights. I am hoping to start at the Coal Creek trailhead off of Rt 22 and reach the TCT that way. I would be interested in how you are arranging transportation, especially at the end of the hike.

Just finished the TCT this past week. We used Old West Transportation to schedule a pick-up from the Jenny Lake Visitor Center after completing the hike. It ended up costing $110 from the visitor center back to Teton Village. I cannot recommend them enough. The driver was friendly, knowledgeable, and most importantly on time. Some of the other airport shuttle companies that we called seemed pretty sketchy. Hope your trip goes well!

To answer your question, yes it is feasible. It's a long day but doable, as long as no one in your party is suffering from the altitude, which is impossible to predict.

@Papathedoc Hitchhiking is ridiculously easy in the Jackson area, may be an option for going where ever you need to go.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
A Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Grand Teton Renews Historic Crest Trail General Discussion 9
wabenho Teton Crest Trail - August 2020 Backpacking 13
yoBear2116 Doing a shuttle on the Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 4
P Teton Crest Trail via Coal Creek/Moose Meadow trails Trip Planning 2
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
C Teton Crest Trail permit campsite distance problem Trip Planning 10
Brian Bucca Tips for scoring a walk in permit for Teton Crest trail Trip Planning 0
linkin22luke Shuttle for the Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 1
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail - August 2018 Backpacking 6
D Teton Crest Trail questions Trip Planning 6
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail backup plan Trip Planning 5
C Teton Crest Trail - end of August 2018 Trip Planning 0
Cburton Teton Crest Trail Permit Issues - Help! Trip Planning 15
HomerJ Teton Crest Trail - August 2017 Backpacking 13
jkgear Campsite suggestions for Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 18
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail, GTNP - 09/2016 *Pic Heavy!* Backpacking 23
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail September Weather? Trip Planning 4
Joey An 8 Day off trail backpack through the Crest of Grand Teton National Park Backpacking 22
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ...Doug and Anita Tour 2015...final chapter! Backpacking 6
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ..Doug and Anita Tour 2015...part 2 Backpacking 4
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th 2015 Backpacking 21
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th (ish) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Bob Teton Crest Trail Resource Discussions 0
Nickrgough Teton Crest Trail 9/3 - 9/7 Backpacking 8
dgosche Teton Crest July Trip Planning 2
wabenho Teton Crest Questions Trip Planning 9
Caleb Teton Crest Trip 2018 Trip Planning 22
Ben Teton Crest (mostly) loop, june 28 - july 2 Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 40
D Grand Teton Cascade Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Request: Grand Teton Ascent Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Invite Grand Teton NP, October 7th-10th 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4