Teton Crest July

dgosche

I'm planning on doing a three day/two night hike in the Tetons in late July this year. I was really proactive and booked permits the minute they opened. The problem-I'm an idiot and booked death canyon instead of death canyon shelf. Now I'm looking at potential pivots in case I can't get walk up permits for the Sunday night we want to be on the shelf. We do have a permit secured for the second night in the south fork cascade zone.

My question is around the outside the park alternatives, specifically Alaska Basin. How soon outside of the park (coming from the shelf) are there viable camping sites? I don't mind extending the first day to the basin but don't want it to turn into a 15 mile day and I'm hoping there are some areas just outside the park border where one could camp. Alternatively, I'm looking at fox creek pass for the first night, but that extends the second day perhaps more than I'd like. We're also photographers and will be traveling with some photo equipment so if there are areas that are especially better for night photography I'm willing to push hard to make it to those sites. Thanks in advance for any help!

@dgosche Welcome to the site.

You have a few options. If you haven't already done so, call the Park and see if there are any campsites available on the Shelf to switch your permit to. Not likely but can't hurt.

Stopping at Fox Creek Pass is a good option. The leg from there to South Fk Cascade is long but very doable.

Assuming that you are hiking up Death Canyon, you could take the Alaska Basin trail that runs west of Static Peak and drop into Alaska Basin from the east. This will shave several miles off but it is a fairly arduous climb up. Also, you will miss hiking the Shelf which is a big miss.

Another option, and this is heavily dependent on good weather and available water is to camp just north of Mount Meek Pass. You will be heavily exposed along the trail but can reduce the exposure by dropping down west of the TCT a bit and using a few trees or large boulders for protection. There are also pockets of trees east of the TCT here but I can't remember what kind of protection they may provide.

As far as Alaska Basin campsites, once you are below Sheep Steps, and pass the last trail switchback to the east, it's about 1/2 mile to South Fk Teton Creek. There are a few camp areas along this stretch.

Sounds like a great trip.

@dgosche Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the reply! We are starting at the top of the aerial tram. It is that area just past Mount Meek Pass that I'm most interested in trying. 3D mapping shows a few groupings of trees but as you mentioned, otherwise it seems pretty exposed. It may be a game day type decision when we get there. I appreciate the thoughtful suggestions.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th 2015 Backpacking 21
pstm13 Teton Crest Trail July 13th-17th (ish) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Ben Teton Crest (mostly) loop, june 28 - july 2 Backpacking 13
A Teton Crest Trail Shuttle Resource Discussions 3
A Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 3
Rockskipper Grand Teton Renews Historic Crest Trail General Discussion 9
wabenho Teton Crest Trail - August 2020 Backpacking 13
wabenho Teton Crest Questions Trip Planning 9
yoBear2116 Doing a shuttle on the Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 4
P Teton Crest Trail via Coal Creek/Moose Meadow trails Trip Planning 2
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
C Teton Crest Trail permit campsite distance problem Trip Planning 10
Brian Bucca Tips for scoring a walk in permit for Teton Crest trail Trip Planning 0
G Teton Crest Trail Itinerary Trip Planning 3
linkin22luke Shuttle for the Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 1
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail - August 2018 Backpacking 6
D Teton Crest Trail questions Trip Planning 6
jdfut66 Teton Crest Trail backup plan Trip Planning 5
C Teton Crest Trail - end of August 2018 Trip Planning 0
Cburton Teton Crest Trail Permit Issues - Help! Trip Planning 15
HomerJ Teton Crest Trail - August 2017 Backpacking 13
Caleb Teton Crest Trip 2018 Trip Planning 22
jkgear Campsite suggestions for Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 18
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail, GTNP - 09/2016 *Pic Heavy!* Backpacking 23
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail September Weather? Trip Planning 4
Joey An 8 Day off trail backpack through the Crest of Grand Teton National Park Backpacking 22
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ...Doug and Anita Tour 2015...final chapter! Backpacking 6
isleroyaleguy Teton Crest trail. ..Doug and Anita Tour 2015...part 2 Backpacking 4
Bob Teton Crest Trail Resource Discussions 0
Nickrgough Teton Crest Trail 9/3 - 9/7 Backpacking 8
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 38
D Grand Teton Cascade Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Request: Grand Teton Ascent Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Invite Grand Teton NP, October 7th-10th 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4