Termessos, Turkey.

BrettCottrell

Brett Cottrell
I have a few rules for living a happy life:

1)never eat yellow snow;
2)when in doubt – fish;
3)and, if a friend invites you to spend a week at their house on the Turkish Riviera, GO!

Last summer I spent an incredible week in Antalya, Turkey, along the southern Mediterranean coast. It’s a modern, beautiful city and the people could not have been more hospitable.

One highlight of the trip was a hike through Termessos, and ancient city atop a mountain pass overlooking the sea and Antalya. The Turks have a very different view regarding ancient historical buildings than many other countries – there are almost no fences or barriers keeping you from climbing boulders or playing Indiana Jones through the sarcophagi. It’s awesome!

Termessos is in a national park and you can access it easily along a four lane highway from Antalya in about half an hour. The hike’s not difficult, about four or five miles roundtrip, with an elevation gain of about five hundred feet. Pack some water and have lunch in the stands of an ancient amphitheater.

[picasa=5s]https://picasaweb.google.com/bsubrett/BaccountryTermessos#slideshow/5849840518553908690[/picasa]

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I have a few rules for living a happy life:

1)never eat yellow snow;
2)when in doubt – fish;
3)and, if a friend invites you to spend a week at their house on the Turkish Riviera, GO!

Rule 4) Never talk about fight club

Way cool! Crazy to think what some cultures were capable of back then compared to cultures in the southwest.

I have a friend who has a German brother in law and we were talking about anasazi ruins, etc and when we mentioned time periods he mentioned that at similar time periods in Europe they were building massive castles, the art work and architecture of the Renaissance, etc...

Back