Tent footprints

andyjaggy

I am very seriously considering a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 tent. My current tent is over 15 years old and I have used it since I was a scout! Time to upgrade.

Do you feel that the tent footprint is a worthwhile investment, or just another thing to spend money on? I typically pack a "neat sheet" groundcloth, but it might be nice to have a fitted footprint.

I'm anti-footprint. Over the years I've had to patch maybe one or two holes between all of my tents. I'd much rather do that than pack around an entire sheet that doesn't really provide much protection anyway. By the time the floor has had it, I'd probably be overdue for a new tent anyway. Careful tent site selection also goes a long way.

With that said, my Copper Spur UL2 came packaged with the footprint. I've never used it if anyone wants to buy it. :)

Reactions: DAA
a friend of mine that lives in Maryland worked at The North Face and was the person who came up with the idea of selling tent specific footprints back in the day.
It was a way to use the extra material, protect the tent floors, and make more money of course.

I'm anti-footprint. :)

Me too.

And I have a CSUL2 as well. Love it - awesome (if heavy) two person tent. Never going to bother putting a ground cloth under it though.

- DAA

I do use footprints for my backpacking tents. It might not be necessary, but I appreciate having a little extra something to protect the floor of the tent since backpacking tents are sooo expensive.

Reactions: DAA
Last edited:
i have to experiment with different thicknesses. To make the building grade tyvek quieter, you can throw it in the washing machine (without soap) and it won't be crinkly anymore.

I've heard the kite tyvek is light, but I've heard mixed reviews about its durabiligy vs the building mat'l.

I've heard nothing but good about the polycryo.

I'm planning on making a footprint out of tyvek for about $10, instead of paying the $70 BA wants for theirs.

Nice! You should update the thread after you've made it with how much it cost and what you used. I bought my footprint from Amazon because it was $48 vs. $70. Still pricey, but a little better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I use my little cloth tarp as my tent footprint. And if I need a lounge area, I simply remove it from underneath my tent and use it to hang out on it.
I had to patch my backpacking tent for the first time last week, because I did not use the footprint on the previous trip and it was super stormy. Might have helped to gt the little hole into the floor of my tent.

I've got some of the kite tyvek, but haven't cut a footprint out yet. I'll let you know what I find

Sounds like it's not going to be worth it. Thanks for the information everyone.

i have to experiment with different thicknesses. To make the building grade tyvek quieter, you can throw it in the washing machine (without soap) and it won't be crinkly anymore.

I've heard the kite tyvek is light, but I've heard mixed reviews about its durabiligy vs the building mat'l.

I've heard nothing but good about the polycryo.

I own the Copper Spur 1 and made my own foot print out of the kite tyvek material for about $12-14. I haven't used it yet, but I did the same thing on my Fly Creek 1 and it worked great. Had no issues with durability, but for the price I could make 4 foot prints for the price of the real thing. My foot print only weighs about 5-8 oz. Well worth it to protect my expensive tent!

I'm planning on making a footprint out of tyvek for about $10, instead of paying the $70 BA wants for theirs.
This is what I do. Cheap and light. I forgot my footprint last fall for my Utah trip. I only used my tent a handful of times. I always had to pull goatheads off of the bottom of the tent. I'll let you know how my tent fairs in the next mega down pour.

Where do you guys buy your tyvek? Local or online?

Since I just bought the Copper Spur UL2 I'm debating a footprint. I agree with all three philosophies to some degree (no footprint, homemade footprint, or pay $$ for a tent specific one from the manufacturer). I'm trying to decide which way I'll go.

you can buy tyvek at home depot in huge rolls, or online (amazon, ebay, etc) for smaller quantities.

The lighter-weight tyvek is available online from kite-making web sites

Kite Tyvek from Amazon.
I went with your suggestion and got this one. Looks good. Just need to trim it down to size. Did you throw yours in the wash to soften it more? Doesn't seem too bad as it is. Also, one side seems softer with more "dimples"...does it matter which side goes down/up?

Thanks for the recommendation!