Superstitions 8-25 mile hike suggestions

fossana

There's a band I like that's touring the SW in a few weeks and to avoid the Vegas bar/club smoke, I'm thinking of going to Phoenix and combining it with some hikes in the Superstitions. Any recommendations for hikes in the 8-25 mile range? Prefer ones with interesting rock formations, scrambling a plus.

There's a band I like that's touring the SW in a few weeks and to avoid the Vegas bar/club smoke, I'm thinking of going to Phoenix and combining it with some hikes in the Superstitions. Any recommendations for hikes in the 8-25 mile range? Prefer ones with interesting rock formations, scrambling a plus.

Here’s a website tha you can use for research - HikeAZ.com

Here’s a long hike, but you’ll need a shuttle - https://hikearizona.com/dex2/profile.php?I=3&u=67466&ID=46&start=75

An epic one, but you’ll also need a shuttle - https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=126

Let me think some more. We used to live at the base of the Supes.

Steph

While this one isn’t as long as you requested, it’s a classic hike and doesn’t require a shuttle -https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=45

only done day hikes there... HikeAZ good
Phoenix doesn't have bar/club smoke?

A ton of water out there right now. My favorite trail the access the Superstition backcountry is Boulder Canyon #103 from Canyon Lake Marina. You could get back into Lower La-Barge Box canyon from there(imo one of the most spectacular spots in the lower range) and also be able to summit Battleship. Could make a loop with a few other trails or an out and back with the off trail fun listed above. Another great access point is from the Peralta TH. You have Peralta, Bluff Springs, and Dutchman trail all starting from this trailhead, easy to make a nice loop from there.

A ton of water out there right now. My favorite trail the access the Superstition backcountry is Boulder Canyon #103 from Canyon Lake Marina. You could get back into Lower La-Barge Box canyon from there(imo one of the most spectacular spots in the lower range) and also be able to summit Battleship. Could make a loop with a few other trails or an out and back with the off trail fun listed above. Another great access point is from the Peralta TH. You have Peralta, Bluff Springs, and Dutchman trail all starting from this trailhead, easy to make a nice loop from there.

Great new profile photo @Boognish !
We will miss the medicinal tomato plants in the background...he

Reavis Ranch Hike is about 24 mikes RT. Reavis Falls is another option that branches off the Reavis ranch trail. Long drive to get there though on the Apache Trail on a dirt road.

Here's one I did two years ago around this time:

https://hikearizona.com/x.php?x=142492

It was about 20 miles, and three days. Absolutely gorgeous. One caution -- if you're doing it during the week, you might want to avoid going solo. The last two days I went about 36 hours without seeing a single person. The territory was extremely rugged and without cell service. Both are a big plus in my book, but if I'd had an accident, I could have been out there for days until someone found me.

Here's one I did two years ago around this time:

https://hikearizona.com/x.php?x=142492

It was about 20 miles, and three days. Absolutely gorgeous. One caution -- if you're doing it during the week, you might want to avoid going solo. The last two days I went about 36 hours without seeing a single person. The territory was extremely rugged and without cell service. Both are a big plus in my book, but if I'd had an accident, I could have been out there for days until someone found me.

That sounds like a nice day hike for @fossana , ;).

Well, it looks like I'll be going to Tucson and the Santa Catalina Mtns instead. For whatever reason camping and other lodging are booked up in Phoenix. Fortunately, I still have my Tucson to-do list carryover.

Last edited: