Sunrise/Sunset Photography Suggestions For 10-12 day trip

jdgibney

Ok shutterbugs and explorers, I'm looking for suggestions on best subjects/locations to shoot during our trip in early October. The locations we will be working with are:
*death valley (day trip from Vegas, hopefully before sunrise until after sunset)
*zion area (3 sunsets and two sunrises
*grand canyon north rim (one sunset one sunrise)
*page area (one sunrise, two sunsets, horseshoe bend for one prob)
*Possibly Coral Pink Sand Dunes or Valley of Fire SP

Thanks in advance!

*death valley
Dan Ransom has spent some time in DV and has been knonw to a take a photo or two every now and again. I would harass him for some locations.

*zion area
If you talking main canyon...the bridge on the main drag looking down canyon is all I really know. If you plan on hiking pre-dawn angels landing or observation point seem like the classics. I always strike out on Zion sunrises/sunset but maybe if you define your range we can help out a bit more.

*grand canyon north rim
Torroweap looks pretty killer but I think you might be talking about the lodge area?

*page area
The bend is pretty sweet but it can be pretty busy. Of my 4 visits last year only once did it really go off. Hope your not scared of heights! I know theres a "second wave" like wall near waterholes canyon and 89. With a little googling you should be able to find it and I think you need a hiking permit.

*Possibly Coral Pink Sand Dunes
I stopped by once and couldn't find a comp (close to the road) that wasn't covered with ATV tracks. A lot of my flickr contacts have taken shots there but I always see ATV tracks in the sand and it bugs me.

Valley of Fire SP
Never been been but I've seen some awesome shots, IntrepidXJ has a trip report around here somewhere.

the classics in death valley if it is a day trip are zabriskie point for sunrise and badwater at sunset - easily done from vegas. a lot of the other "goods" are remote and would eat up a day trip from vegas way too quickly. gonna be a long day though!

dantes view is cool at sunrise or sunset too, and it's easy to get to.

Dan Ransom has spent some time in DV and has been knonw to a take a photo or two every now and again. I would harass him for some locations.

If you talking main canyon...the bridge on the main drag looking down canyon is all I really know. If you plan on hiking pre-dawn angels landing or observation point seem like the classics. I always strike out on Zion sunrises/sunset but maybe if you define your range we can help out a bit more.
We'll be staying at the Watchman campground Saturday and Sunday night's (Oct 6/7). I've seen some beautiful shots of the sun setting and lighting up the Watchman with the river in the foreground, presumably from a bridge (is that the same one you're talking about?)

Torroweap looks pretty killer but I think you might be talking about the lodge area?
We're camping at the north rim campground. Torroweap would be awesome, though I'm not sure I want to take the rental out there. Definitely on 'the list' for future visits.

The bend is pretty sweet but it can be pretty busy. Of my 4 visits last year only once did it really go off. Hope your not scared of heights! I know theres a "second wave" like wall near waterholes canyon and 89. With a little googling you should be able to find it and I think you need a hiking permit.
I got a decent shot from the bend in Jan 2011
Definitely want to check it out again, I love the view and the heights. Water Holes Canyon seems like a cool thing to check out that doesn't normally get visited.

I stopped by once and couldn't find a comp (close to the road) that wasn't covered with ATV tracks. A lot of my flickr contacts have taken shots there but I always see ATV tracks in the sand and it bugs me.
We checked it out shortly after sunrise in Jan 2011 on our way back from our quick trip out to the Wave/Page, and it was pretty good, I wasn't blown away by it, but my friend would like to check it out if we can. I think Valley of Fire is more worthy of another visit if we can get there in time. There weren't any ATV tracks when we were there which was cool.

Never been been but I've seen some awesome shots, IntrepidXJ has a trip report around here somewhere.
I stopped by on our way out in 2010 and our way back in in 2011 not for a long time either time, but it is a beautiful park. I got a decent shot of the Fire Wave after sunset last January.

Thanks for the ideas!

Not sure where yours saying around Page area if your camping or hoteling it but you could camp out on Alstrom Point. I was looking at doing that next month but don't think its going to fit into our plans.
We'll be crashing in a hotel for two nights after coming from the Grand Canyon. I definitely want to do Alstrom Point, but I don't think it'll fit our plans either at this point. It's also on my list!.

the classics in death valley if it is a day trip are zabriskie point for sunrise and badwater at sunset - easily done from vegas. a lot of the other "goods" are remote and would eat up a day trip from vegas way too quickly. gonna be a long day though!

dantes view is cool at sunrise or sunset too, and it's easy to get to.
Looks like, if we can make it in at time (depending on how quick we get our butts going from Vegas), Zabriskie or Dantes would be great. What are your thoughts on Mesquite Sand Dunes, Mosaic Canyon and/or Artists Palate? Worth checking out?
Thanks for chiming in, guys!

ZION AREA
Sunrise- 1. Alters and Temples of the Virgin from the Museum, 2.Court of the Patriarchs Overlook (I believe IntrepidXJ took some cool sunrise pics near the court of the patriarchs down by the river) , 3. never done this for sunrise but I bet the canyon overlook hike would be a good sunrise location

Sunset- 1. Drive Kolob Terrace road to the plateau overlooking Zion (near Cave Valley Pictographs) 2. Grafton (Ghost Town you get some decent pics of sunset and ZNP (http://mattsamazingsouthernutah.blogspot.com/2009/11/grafton.html) 3. Drive from Rockville up Smithsonian Butte backway (passenger car should be ok if you go slow and the road isnt wet) 4. Smiths Mesa overlooking Zion (dirt road again but passenger car should be ok)

Matt, I can't remember if I asked you, are you around that weekend at all? (Sat Oct 6-Mon Oct 8?)

Matt, I can't remember if I asked you, are you around that weekend at all? (Sat Oct 6-Mon Oct 8?)

I believe so and would love to meet up even if it was just for some sunset photography (dont count on me for sunrise though as I am not that dedicated :) )

I believe so and would love to meet up even if it was just for some sunset photography (dont count on me for sunrise though as I am not that dedicated :) )
dang, I'm not sure how I missed this... I'll have to contact you offboard, but hopefully, we can get together. After seeing your pix from West Rim Trail, I'm contemplating that. It looks like it would be an awesome day hike. I know it's 13 miles, but mostly flat/downhill, seems like something we could do, and the weather should be nice and cool(er) by then, right? :)