Summit Songs

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I took my youngest daughter who was 11 at the time, on her first BP trip in the foothills above our house April last year.

image.jpg

She was having a great time, until Saturday morning when we woke up and had a coating of snow. I had some personal obligations that Saturday so I did not have time to wait out the storm. We had to pack up and hike down in the snow.

She was was cold, wet and not having fun anymore.
image.jpg
So on our hike down I played some music on my phone to improve the mood. The first song to play was Feeling That Way by Journey

Since then this song has been my victory song, played every time I make a summit or complete an adventure.

Do you have a hiking victory song?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I don't know that I have a victory song so much, but I do like to plant certain music in my head before heading out on a hike. Explosions in the Sky is always a good one for that. No lyrics, just uplifting melodies that are a joy to replay in my brain for a few days of hiking.

Although there was one trip where we ended up with Bohemian Rhapsody in our heads before starting out. It wasn't the most pleasant as I kept singing it along the trail, annoying my friends. But by the time we got back to the car three days later, we had a true Wayne & Garth-style Bohemian Rhapsody rock out at full blast while flying down some dirt roads in Capitol Reef. Good stuff. For those that know those involved, picture me, @neiloro and @colefeet rocking that. :)

We were talking about this when @sixstringsteve, @Tess , and @pixie1339 were hiking. Usually it's the most annoying song that gets stuck in your head when you're outside, though I can't remember why. I had Madonna running through my brain on the trip, and I couldn't shut her up!

I dont have a particular song...YET... then again, the only time I have reached a summit was by climbing the vertical face straight up. I do recall a time or 2 where I found myself singing "Eye of the Tiger" while rock climbing. As I look to take the longer and objectivly easier path to the summit, I will have to see what I decide to play or what pops in my head.

Explosions in the Sky is always a good one for that. No lyrics, just uplifting melodies that are a joy to replay in my brain for a few days of hiking.
I have recently discovered EITS - Postcards from 1952 & Lone Survivor Soundtrack are my favs so far

I have recently discovered EITS - Postcards from 1952 & Lone Survivor Soundtrack are my favs so far
I can listen to them anytime. One of my favorite bands.

We were talking about this when @sixstringsteve, @Tess , and @pixie1339 were hiking. Usually it's the most annoying song that gets stuck in your head when you're outside, though I can't remember why. I had Madonna running through my brain on the trip, and I couldn't shut her up!
The other day while hiking I had that fancy song stuck in my head.

I don't know that I have a victory song so much, but I do like to plant certain music in my head before heading out on a hike. Explosions in the Sky is always a good one for that. No lyrics, just uplifting melodies that are a joy to replay in my brain for a few days of hiking.

I love EITS! If you like that kind of dreamy instrumental rock you'd probably also like the bands Caspian and If These Trees Could Talk.

Regarding the original post, I don't really listen to music when hiking, but this song came to mind. Maybe I'm being too literal, but it's about climbing to the top of a mountain.

Bedouin Soundclash - Mountain Top

I don't often hike to music but one of my favorites for hanging around camp is John Hiatt, especially "Gone" on the Crossing Muddy Waters album

The few times I have hiked to music it's been mostly to Josh Garrels. There's something something very earthy and calming about his sound.

A couple of times during storms I had REO Speedwagon's "Riding the Storm Out" running through my head. It's got pretty cool lyrics, actually. :cool:

The other day while hiking I had that fancy song stuck in my head.

I prefer this version. :)

[parsehtml]
<iframe width="640" height="360" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://screen.yahoo.com/sketchy/weird-al-yankovic-handy-parody-133702425.html?format=embed" allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>[/parsehtml]

who's for a little loverboy? Loving every minute of it!!!!!

While on the JMT we heard, every morning, willie Nelson's "Mama's, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboy's' We crunched so many miles everyday just to get the trip in 12 days that we set an alarm to get started super early. Now every time I hear that song it makes me smile for so many, many reasons.