Summer planning, suggestions welcomed

pbax

I have been craving a 'big' adventure. Perhaps expedition is better word. Regardless, I am planning to take this summer to do some serious camping. As a phd student, should have plenty of time to get away. As of right now I will have most of May, 3 weeks in June and 3 weeks on August to utilize.

My initial plan was to head west in early May and hit up CO and WY. However, I don't think the melt will be sufficient yet. Anyone have suggestions? Basically, just looking for some awesome backpacking, hiking, and fly fishing. I'll take all the advice I can get.

PS. In Atlanta now, most of my camping has be en on east coast where it is always packed. So, less traversed areas are what I'm looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May is perfect for our high desert here in Utah. There really is an endless amount of things to do, probably not going to have great fishing, or much at all, but the scenery certainly makes up for any lack of that. Look at some loop, or point to points in GSENM or Canyonlands. From what I've read it does start to get hot in May for the Grand Canyon, but I'd look into doing a big trek through there in May if I had that kind of time.

June can be difficult, as it does get hot in the desert, but the snow hasn't melted off in the mountains. I'd suggest one of the wetter desert hikes, something that you will be walking in and out of water is perfect for this season. Escalante, and HITRR has a lot of good options.

August will be wide open for the things you want to do. Uinta's, Sierra Nevada's, Wind River Range etc. Will all be in their peak season. Again, endless options. Check out the Trip Reports, and Trail Guides for some ideas.

Welcome to the Forum.

May is a good time for Coyote Gulch. Just not the last week of May. There are lots of other fun things along the Hole in the Rock road as well.

In August, hit up the Wind Rivers- you can't go wrong. It has everything you're looking for- awesome hiking, backpacking, and fly fishing.

You may want to try and reserve a backcountry permit for GTNP @August. They just opened up for reservations on the 8th. You could take the tram up at Teton Village and hike one or more of the canyons for a few days and end up back at your car. It is not as isolated as the Wind River Range but well worth the trip.
Link to Information and Reservations

Basically, just looking for some awesome backpacking, hiking, and fly fishing. I'll take all the advice I can get.

Head for the Eastern Sierra in California! You will find all of it there. The only drawback is you have to apply for a permit, best to do it in the next month or so. If you've never been here before, you might like the Evolution Valley loop. Bishop, CA is the closest town, and the trailhead starts at 10,000 ft at South Lake (I think. So many lakes I get them confused). I believe it's about 70 miles, tons of lakes with golden trout, and there will be places you won't see a soul. If you like high altitude and rugged landscapes, the Eastern Sierra is for you. August will be best, could still be snowed in May and early June.

Some awesome suggestions thus far!!

@Laura - thinking CA is a bit further west than I'd like to go. If gas money to get out that way wasn't an issue, I would say sign me up. The extra miles might make it cost prohibitive.

@pstm13 Thanks for the GTNP link! Will definitely check that out. How is Wind River in August? Might be a nice plan to start at GTNP and work way back through Winds, and then down into Winter Park area of CO.

@slc_dan I'll check out some of the loops in the high desert. Honestly, Utah has never (neither now or in the past) come up on my radar. Not sure it is that much further of a drive than I was thinking. Maybe a bit.

So, looks like consensus is that CO/WY at altitude will most likely not be do able in May. Wish that global warming would kick in and thaw a bit earlier (joking of course). Considering doing part of the AT in May and then Winds in August. I'll have to check some of the fishing guidance for some streams in CO during that period as well (to meet up with a buddy).

Keep the info coming! Loving it!

The Winds are great in August. Just a thought...Yellowstone, GTNP and the Winds kinda boarder each other. You could hit all three with no problem.

Anyone have thoughts on SW Colorado in mid-May? That an option? Or, in the other direction Thunder Basin in WY?

Where in SW Colorado do you want to go? The high country is out in May. If you like to car camp, Hovenweep National Monument is spectacular. Primitive camping, incredible ruins, very low key. It least it used to be. Dominguez Canyon near Delta is a place I know well, not as far south, but a place where you could do a multi day backpacking trip.

Honestly, Utah has never (neither now or in the past) come up on my radar.

I was exactly the same 3 years ago and i've read so many people who've said the same thing. Do it once, you'll be hooked for life!

SW Colo only got 75% of normal snowfall this year. So you might get a head start on runoff.

Laura's suggestion of Bishop and South lake passing a series of glacial lakes and then thru Bishop Pass area is a good one...drop-dead gorgeous. I like to camp at altitude the night before to acclimate as the trail starts around 9000 ft. Bring some flies for fishing as there are lots of trout.

Laura's suggestion of Bishop and South lake passing a series of glacial lakes and then thru Bishop Pass area is a good one...drop-dead gorgeous. I like to camp at altitude the night before to acclimate as the trail starts around 9000 ft. Bring some flies for fishing as there are lots of trout.

We're heading there in a few days, got the Diamox packed, hoping for good photography weather!

Im jealous ! Very photogenic area just about perfect usually.