Subway trip mid June

jentzschman

Hello,

Heading to the Subway in mid June with some friends and was hoping to get a better idea of what I can expect from the trail. I know there is water pretty much though out and I will need to look into getting a wet suit, but is there any other specific gear or equipment needed for this hike?

One of the guys I am going with and some of his friends are experience canyoneers, but I just wanted to get as much advice as I can before the trip.

Thank you

You need full rappelling gear now. It used to be that you could get by handlining it (although I wouldn't), but now the last obstacle has changed and it's a full rappel. There are also a couple others that you'll probably want to rappel, but it changes a lot. Last I saw Keyhole Falls had filled in so much that it was pretty easy to just handline. The Bowling Alley is an easy down climb but some people rappel there. Then the boulder jam right at the top most people rappel.

Yes on wetsuit. If you don't buy one, you can rent in Springdale from ZAC or one of the other outfitters.

The first 3 miles or so is dry coming down from Wildcat. Once you get into the pool at the bottom of Russell Gulch is where you should suit up (or at the boulder jam). Then after the subway proper, you can remove the suits and get ready for another few miles of crawling over boulders in the creek. Finish it off with a very hot and very steep ~400 climb back to the Left Fork Trailhead. Good times!

This video of mine from 2012 shows the new-ish final rap. Ignore the first ones though, those are in the more technical and optional Russell Gulch entrance.

http://backcountrypost.com/threads/russell-gulch-the-subway.1600/

I am kind of anal about getting my own gear... I think I will look into getting my own suit. I have a harness that my brother has used and I will double check the fit. I Have been wanting to get some canyoneering shoes for some time, so I think I will get a pair of five ten's. I have an Osprey 33 pack, I would guess that will be enough capacity for the hike? I also have a dry bag to put inside as well.

Wetsuits can be had pretty cheap if you're a somewhat normal size. When I was searching I found a ton at recreation outlet for cheap, but I'm big and they didn't work. I actually got stuck in one with my arms bent backwards. Had to yell for my wife to come and undo me. The canyoneers are a good investment too, IMO. I've used them on a ton of different hikes including long backpacking trips.

If you're putting anything important in the dry bag (like an expensive camera), it's worth double-bagging. Also keep it up high in your pack so you don't force it under water when you swim. Or just let it float.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Yvonne The Subway September 2020 - a trip that went wrong Hiking & Camping 10
zionsky Hikers Rescued from Subway Hiking & Camping 11
Yvonne Subway Bottom Up July 8, 2019 Hiking & Camping 27
RyanP How to prepare for Subway/Orderville/etc Trip Planning 6
Rockskipper Zion National Park visitors rescued after mocking rangers, hiking The Subway unprepared General Discussion 97
Red Rock Rangers The Subway Canyoneering 0
Nick The other Subway in Zion General Discussion 17
Howells Outdoors Frigid in The Subway Canyoneering 6
IntrepidXJ The Subway and Left Fork Hiking & Camping 2
Scott Chandler The Subway 10-28-14 Canyoneering 9
Sandro The Subway - End of April Trip Planning 13
Tyler The Subway August 2012 Canyoneering 1
Nick Russell Gulch & The Subway Canyoneering 13
gloo The Subway - Zion NP August 2012 Canyoneering 2
Dave Fatality in Zion's Subway General Discussion 24
Ross Invite Pine Creek, Misery Canyon or The Subway (Zion area) Meet Up (Members Only) 1
Nick Changes in The Subway General Discussion 1
blueeyes Subway August 2, 2012 Hiking & Camping 1
blueeyes Subway May 20th Hiking & Camping 4
Tyler The Subway was off the hook! General Discussion 9
A Subway any way I can - don't laugh! Trip Planning 9
lostlandscapes The Subway -- June 23, 2012 Canyoneering 9
lostlandscapes Best time to hike The Subway General Discussion 2
Nick The Subway, May 2012 Canyoneering 37
Nick Zion Subway Conditions Spring 2012 General Discussion 2
Nick The Subway, Zion National Park Canyoneering 11
Nick The Subway and Russell Gulch Canyoneering 5
Nick The Zion Subway, August 2011 Canyoneering 6
Ndheiner The Subway in Zion Trip Planning 8
balzaccom Spring trip to the Desert Hiking & Camping 0
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0