Steve Allen's 4th Class Exit Route out of The Gulch?

Balsam

Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2023
Messages
18
Hi All. We are looking at using a short segment of Allen's Overland to connect Horse Ck (near the jct with LDH) to The Gulch. We'd be going EAST TO WEST. Allen mentions a 4th class pitch dropping down into The Gulch (near 37.73404, -111.28951).

I've seen a couple of reports that climb UP through there (including one by John Morrow in 2018) and they make it sound reasonable. I'm curious if anyone has approached it from the east and tried to climb DOWN. If so, how difficult is it to locate? COORDINATES? How difficult is it to execute? Thoughts? Warnings?

We are experienced and generally comfortable on class 3 terrain.

THANKS!
 
Last edited:
I got cliffed out here a few years ago (my track in red, generalized overland route in yellow). Post-trip searching made me think that I needed to be a bit further east and go down the fin/ledge I've marked with blue arrow. In John Morrow's trip report you mentioned there is a photo labeled 'Ascending Slot 2' that I think shows hikers going up this, which is the part I missed.
1790615930588.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top