Spring Canyon to Sulphur Canyon

Blake Merrell

Life Elevated - Rising Higher
I am looking to do this loop hike this summer, and am curious to see who has done it before and if you have any suggestions? The plan is to backpack this in two days. Wondering how sketchy the climb is to the top of the ridge.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Your maps isn't showing up. You may need to adjust the permissions on it. Are you thinking of a route like this?
I'm planning on doing such a loop in early April this year with fingers crossed the weather treats me well. I've done the Sulfur Creek portion and know all about Fruita and been through Cohab and Grand Wash, but have yet to make it into Spring Canyon or up and over Frying Pan. @Joey just posted a report of his trip down Sulfur and looping back up through Sulfur.

Summer could be pretty hot, and I don't know how reliable the springs would be along Spring Canyon later in the year. On the other hand, you'd probably have some decent shade for many stretches through Spring Canyon and hiking up the water in Sulfur would probably keep you cool. Still, pushing a pace to do such a loop in 2 days in the summer, that'll take a lot of water to be safe.

I am looking to do this loop hike this summer, and am curious to see who has done it before and if you have any suggestions? The plan is to backpack this in two days. Wondering how sketchy the climb is to the top of the ridge.

Thanks!
Your maps isn't showing up. You may need to adjust the permissions on it. Are you thinking of a route like this?

Yep. You need to set the link to either 'anyone who has the link' or 'public' for it to embed properly. Otherwise everyone but the poster sees this:

upload_2015-2-13_14-13-2.png

I'm planning on doing such a loop in early April this year with fingers crossed the weather treats me well. I've done the Sulfur Creek portion and know all about Fruita and been through Cohab and Grand Wash, but have yet to make it into Spring Canyon or up and over Frying Pan. @Joey just posted a report of his trip down Sulfur and looping back up through Sulfur.

Summer could be pretty hot, and I don't know how reliable the springs would be along Spring Canyon later in the year. On the other hand, you'd probably have some decent shade for many stretches through Spring Canyon and hiking up the water in Sulfur would probably keep you cool. Still, pushing a pace to do such a loop in 2 days in the summer, that'll take a lot of water to be safe.

This Spring Canyon - Sulphur Creek hike is near Mexican mountain. That route looks like a lot of fun though!

This Spring Canyon - Sulphur Creek hike is near Mexican mountain. That route looks like a lot of fun though!

Ahh! That explains the ridge you are questioning. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that area around Mexican Mountain. I know there are lots of creeks, rivers, canyons, etc that share a name with another landscape feature of the same, but what are the odds of having two in the same vicinity sharing names with another two elsewhere and also in such close vicinity?

Ahh! That explains the ridge you are questioning. Sorry, I'm not familiar with that area around Mexican Mountain. I know there are lots of creeks, rivers, canyons, etc that share a name with another landscape feature of the same, but what are the odds of having two in the same vicinity sharing names with another two elsewhere and also in such close vicinity?
I know! I was poking around and when I saw other TR's about this loop i thought the same thing!