Southern Utah Accommodations Question

kwc

Our plan is to spend time visiting Capitol Reef NP, Zion, & Bryce (and areas in between these places) … so what might be a centrally located place to stay? We hope to be in the area for a week in early May. We will NOT be camping during this trip. Day hiking will be our focus for The trip.

I figured that BCP would be one of the best places to ask this!!! Thanks!

these are far enough apart that I'd probably stay in two places if I were you, for example Torrey or Teasdale and then perhaps somewhere on Highway 89 for the second part of the week. we've stayed in Duck Creek Village before which had plenty of airbnbs but it's pretty high elevation, perhaps not great for May. but maybe Orderville or something, it has a few amenities and gives decent access to both Zion and Bryce.

As @regehr says, the distances are far, so it depends on how far you're willing to drive in a day and how important it is to stay in one place the whole time. Escalante might work if you don't want to switch places and are willing to drive 2 hours one way to Zion. Escalante has more lodging options than some of the nearby areas, but I don't have a sense of how far in advance they book up.

Reactions: kwc
also @kwc as you've probably gathered from discussions/TRs here, most of the good stuff isn't in one of the parks, and most of the bad stuff (crowds of clueless people) is in the parks, so hopefully y'all are planning of going a bit further afield than just those locations

Last edited:
also @kwc as you've probably gathered from discussions/TRs here, most of the good stuff isn't in one of the parks, and most of the bad stuff (crowds of clueless people) is in the parks, so hopefully y'all are planning of going a bit further afield than just those locations
Yes, BCP has been helpful in pointing out places to visit/hike. We have an idea of what we would like to explore in the area and we’re always open to suggestions. The parks are general destinations but certainly not locked in stone. Most of our trips involve spur of the moment stuff. Drives most of our friends crazy (most of them are big planners).

I think Circleville would be about as close to the middle of those 3 parks as you could get. I've driven through a lot but never actually stopped there. It doesn't seem like the most exciting town. You could also look at Panguitch. Still central-ish between the 3 parks but Closer to Zion and Bryce. It's bigger than Circleville and has more accommodation and stuff in town.

We stayed at a little cabin in Tropic within walking distance of some good bbq and a couple other places to eat as well. Very close to Bryce, not too far from Zion if you make a day of it. Kodachrome Basin SP has some fun hiking and is close as well.

Sounds like Arches is by reservation only. Too crowded for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We have made reservations at a couple of Airbnbs. We also decided to skip Zion and concentrate our time to the Capitol Reef and Escalante areas, maybe hitting Bryce if time permits. That’s a pretty big maybe.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We have made reservations at a couple of Airbnbs. We also decided to skip Zion and concentrate our time to the Capitol Reef and Escalante areas, maybe hitting Bryce if time permits. That’s a pretty big maybe.
this sounds like a great plan to me. the main Zion canyon is pretty much blown these days, though the east side and Kolob are still fine, or at least were the last time were visited.

Hope you'll have a great trip!